Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2012 1:42:53 PM EDT
I made some home made desiccant to store in my ammo containers. I thought maybe someone else would like to try it so Im posting it up.

First I bought some Tidy cat Crystals. Its not cheap, but you will have desiccant for years as long as you reseal the litter jug securely when you open it.

ETA: the brand doesnt matter as long as its made from silica. It will say it on the back of the container.

The litter

I picked out some of the larger crystals to use for my experiment. and weighed them on my powder scale.

Then I filled the powder pan with enough water to completely cover the crystals.

The crystals sizzled and popped a little when absorbing the water. It gave off little bubbles too

Then I poured the water and crystals through a strainer. After I dried out the powder pan I put the crystals back into the powder pan and then onto the scales.

As you can see the crystals absorbed 85% of their weight.

I bought Family size tea bags and cut off the end and poured out the tea. Then I replaced the tea with the crystals, and used a stapler to reseal the tea bags.

I may have too many in the ammo can

I hope this helps.

Peace
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I may have to try this in my tool boxes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks interesting!  How do you know that the cat litter will absorb the water out of the air?
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Looks interesting!  How do you know that the cat litter will absorb the water out of the air?

Its silica and that is what some desiccants are made of.

ETA:Also i have been using this to store with my reloading dies, no rust yet.

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy the cheapest no-name silica cat litter you can find, it's all the same. The Walmart stuff is fine.
I use #4 coffee filters, generic ones. Again, the cheapest ones you can find.
Use about 1/4 cup of litter per filter. Fold in the corners then fold down the top and staple shut.

I toast them a little before I put them in ammo cans for long term storage.
They will actually pull a slight vacuum when prepared this way.
Whatever you do, do not allow dessicant of any kind to come in contact with the ferrous objects you are trying to preserve.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Buy the cheapest no-name silica cat litter you can find, it's all the same. The Walmart stuff is fine.
I use #4 coffee filters, generic ones. Again, the cheapest ones you can find.
Use about 1/4 cup of litter per filter. Fold in the corners then fold down the top and staple shut.

I toast them a little before I put them in ammo cans for long term storage.
They will actually pull a slight vacuum when prepared this way.
Whatever you do, do not allow dessicant of any kind to come in contact with the ferrous objects you are trying to preserve.

Good to know im not the only one using this method.

Thanks for the input

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 3:52:45 AM EDT
[#6]
You can use cone-style coffee filters instead of tea bags.  Even the 4-cup filter size is bigger than big tea bags, and I think the filter paper is easier to handle and manipulate.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 4:00:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You can use cone-style coffee filters instead of tea bags.  Even the 4-cup filter size is bigger than big tea bags, and I think the filter paper is easier to handle and manipulate.

Yeah, use what is best for the application. I find the family size tea bags to be just right for all of my applications.

Link Posted: 5/27/2012 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]
An old sock with no holes or a new sock works best for me. Pour in a handful and use  a zip tie to seal.  Get the unscented stuff that is 100% silica gel and you won't have any aromatics in your ammo can.
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]
been doing this for years now........fill an old sock  tie it off and throw it in safe.....done
Link Posted: 5/27/2012 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
been doing this for years now........fill an old sock  tie it off and throw it in safe.....done

I have never considered using a sock until you guys brought it up. Thanks for the heads up you guys

Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#11]
salt works. I once dried out the truck of my car using an open top container filled with rock salt. the carpet was soaked due to a leaky cooler. took 2 days and i had to swap out the salt a couple of times.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the kitty litter in nylons. I had my wife buy me several pair at the dollar store (because I wasn't going to buy them). I pour in a cup then tie it off, cut it, repeat.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
salt works. I once dried out the truck of my car using an open top container filled with rock salt. the carpet was soaked due to a leaky cooler. took 2 days and i had to swap out the salt a couple of times.

I would stay away from salt in a closed container with brass or steel in it.  I see that as being a setting for making "sea air," and causing corrosion.  Instead, use rice...
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Cool Idea. I didn't even know they made "crystal" cat litter.

Actually, that might explain some cats' behavior: They're doing crystal.

I ran some numbers and assuming that the cat litter is identical to the desiccant canisters sold by Midway et. al., you'll need 13.33 grams of "crystals" for each cubic foot of space in your safe to get equivalent "protection".

That comes out to about 1.5 pounds for a 50 cf safe.

The litter I bought cost me about $2 per pound so for a 50 cf safe, the cost is $3 not including a container or taxes.

ETA: Here's mine. It's a  1 pint paint can with a 2.125” hole cut in the lid and jammed as full of the silica gel as I can get it. The mesh is aluminum window screen that I placed on top of the can and then hammered the lid home. It stretched the screen nice and tight. Full, the pint can holds between 7.5 and 8 ounces (212 to 227 grams) of desiccant - good for about 16 CF of space in a safe. 3 to 4 of them would be needed for a 50 CF safe. (3 @ 7.5 oz ea. will cover 48 CF).

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would stay away from salt in a closed container with brass or steel in it.  I see that as being a setting for making "sea air," and causing corrosion.  Instead, use rice...

+1
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Rice filled socks work as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#17]
The silica gel, purpose made for desiccant or kitty litter, it never "goes bad". Just spread it out on an old cookie sheet in a 250 degree oven for a few hours and it's good to go again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Couldn't find any of the crystal-type kitty litter here at Wal-Mart, all they had was clay-based litter.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Couldn't find any of the crystal-type kitty litter here at Wal-Mart, all they had was clay-based litter.  

You could try Pet Smart or Petco if they are in your area.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#20]
You can also go to a craft store and buy flower drying crystals. It is ground smaller than cat litter so they may not be good in a sock. They work great in a coffee filter.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You can also go to a craft store and buy flower drying crystals. It is ground smaller than cat litter so they may not be good in a sock. They work great in a coffee filter.

Thats dang good info right there!!

These threads really put out a vast amount of info on the subject.

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I pull them out of HP monitor bags. Long story short the company I work for deals with a lot of HP touchscreen monitor replacements so instead of shipping the dessicant bags the new monitors are shipped with back with the failed monitors, I just pull them out and keep them. Anyone in Lubbock needs any, PM me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont think it will work the same way as silica gel used to take moisture out of the air
Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I dont think it will work the same way as silica gel used to take moisture out of the air

Really? What dont you think will work? Please be more specific, as we have had many ideas discussed.

If you are talking about the crystal cat litter, It is silica gel. The very same thing that comes in desiccant packs. The cat litter jug says its silica on the back.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? What dont you think will work? Please be more specific, as we have had many ideas discussed.

If you are talking about the crystal cat litter, It is silica gel. The very same thing that comes in desiccant packs. The cat litter jug says its silica on the back.

Straight from the Wiki:

Cat litter
Silica gel is also used as cat litter,[7] by itself or in combination with more traditional materials, such as clays including bentonite. It is trackless and virtually odorless. Purchasing silica in the form of cat litter can be an easy and cost effective way for retail consumers to purchase silica gel for use in other applications, such as maintaining the desired relative humidity in humidors, keeping tools or other materials rust-free in damp environments or long-term storage, and preserving dried food.

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Straight from the Wiki:

Cat litter
Silica gel is also used as cat litter,[7] by itself or in combination with more traditional materials, such as clays including bentonite. It is trackless and virtually odorless. Purchasing silica in the form of cat litter can be an easy and cost effective way for retail consumers to purchase silica gel for use in other applications, such as maintaining the desired relative humidity in humidors, keeping tools or other materials rust-free in damp environments or long-term storage, and preserving dried food.

Sweet....thanks!!

Link Posted: 6/4/2012 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks!

For the longest time I've been using Sea Salt crystals tied up in pantyhose liner. Popping them into my brass containers.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Silica gel is silica gel.  Those little packets are made from a thicker grade of filter paper than coffee filters, much thicker than tea bags, and they work.  Except for a bit of scent and color, there's nothing in the cat litter that isn't in commercial desiccant.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#29]
i couldnt find anything in gainesville. then i went to publix or 13th/39th found an unknown brand for 8-9 bucks hopefully this stuff works
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top