Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2012 7:28:43 AM EDT
So as not to totally hijack the other thread I posted this in, I'll start a new one here. This is the conversion part I made to make trimming brass in a Harbor Freight mini cutoff saw (http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-top-cut-off-saw-42307.html) really quick and repeatable.

Part drawing:

With brass:

Action shot:

Video:

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice.

I like it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Really slick!

That saw looks like it works a lot better than I would have expected.

I've been using an LE Wilson case trimmer bolted vertically in a drill press w a modified 223 case holder (had to be counter bored with a 1/2" drill bit due to the shorter case).  MUCH slower than your method.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Really slick!

That saw looks like it works a lot better than I would have expected.

I've been using an LE Wilson case trimmer bolted vertically in a drill press w a modified 223 case holder (had to be counter bored with a 1/2" drill bit due to the shorter case).  MUCH slower than your method.

I was surprised at how easily it goes through brass the first time I used it. Blades are relatively cheap, and I haven't even worn one out yet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the same setup for cutting 308 down to make 44AMP and 357AMP, I've done about 3000 cases so far and the blade is still sharp enough to cut right thru them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a machinist, but it looks like all you needed was to screw the stop into the metal block that come with the saw so the brass case remains at the same distance from the saw blade.
What is the L-shaped thing in the blueprint that has the 1.19 clearance? I don't see it in the picture.
I guess I'm just confused.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not a machinist, but it looks like all you needed was to screw the stop into the metal block that come with the saw so the brass case remains at the same distance from the saw blade.
What is the L-shaped thing in the blueprint that has the 1.19 clearance? I don't see it in the picture.
I guess I'm just confused.

The 1.190 clearance goes around the metal block you're talking about. The 10-24 setscrew holds that in place. The cutout on the other side sets the head of the case the correct distance from the blade to cut off the amount of material I want to remove. The problem was two-fold - the moving jaw of the little vise the saw came with is REALLY loose, so the round can be off by a good 7-10 degrees, resulting in crunches in the sizing die (and therefore, wasted brass and time). Beyond this, the stop needed to be set beyond the end of the stationary vise block. As it is, this piece is actually ridiculously easy to manufacture on a mill.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#8]
what kind of life are you getting on the saw blade.  I got about 200 piece of brass and my blade is dull.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what kind of life are you getting on the saw blade.  I got about 200 piece of brass and my blade is dull.

I haven't put 1k through it yet, but it's still good after at least a few hundred. Blades are pretty cheap online.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Since you mentioned using a mill, I just put brass in the vice centered in aluminum blocks, and use a 1/2" endmill at ~2000 rpm plunging straight down.

I'd have no problem making 45 auto brass out of 3006 that way.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I just made a simple hinged jig that indexes off the front of the mini chop saw and the vice. Works slick and I can do about a dozen a minute.

Video below. I can actually go much faster but went slow to demonstrate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ukuy8CRfko&context=C4c6bb56ADvjVQa1PpcFNZcJecce3dkPFYEc6uiqaPYiCofQlEnQo=

And a couple pics.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Over 1K and mine is still going strong.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice set up, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to cut mine on a mini-saw...........now I use this.

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought some extra blades when I bought my saw, I've cut off about 300 to 400 so far, no evidence of dulling on my saw, the original blade is still in it.

A comment in the video at the very top about lubing the inside of the neck or you will crunch cases, I haven't been using any lube inside the case neck and have had no problems at all.  As I previously mentioned I have made about 300 to 400 cases myself, as well as buying 500 cases, I have reloaded close to 1,000 rounds of 300 blackout using Lee dies, never lubed the case neck, no problems at all.  I do use a spray lube, some Hornady and some Dillon, I'm sure a little gets inside the neck, but not too much.

I was having trouble in my Redding dies with crunched cases - started making sure some lube wound up on the mandrel at least every third round or so, and I haven't had one since.Doesn't need to be much, and doesn't need to be often, but without lube, my dies make scrap like clockwork.YMMV, certainly. This is why I use collet dies on all my bolt guns.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe I fried my saw, because I can barely get through a case without it slowing down.  I have just been trimming them on my trimmer as of late.  I might try a new blade and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been just using my rotozip with a cutoff blade.
Clamped it in my vice
made a makeshift "table" for it with some paneling zip tied to the head
Screwed a strip of wood down as a "fence" and zing, zing, zing, 300 BLK brass all day long....never bogs or slows down.
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK (eye, ear, hand protection, etc....)

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I use this first then off to the trimmer. I plan to go the Dillon trimmer route soon.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I use this first then off to the trimmer. I plan to go the Dillon trimmer route soon.
http://youtu.be/DVC2BQsHx0g

DAMN, that beats the hell out a hacksaw or tubing cutter.
Never was a fan of running a drill behind those small lathe trimmers, but that drill press setup looks awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top