Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2012 4:24:07 PM EDT
I have a batch of cast bullets I made using a Lee 6 cavity mold(228 grain, truncated cone bullet). Using Bullseye, page 671 of Modern Reloading says seat to 1.190", over 4 grains(using data for 230 grain lead, no listing for 228)I have a Remington 1911, and if I seat to that length the bullet hits the edge of my chamber and prevents fully chambering. I have to go quite a bit shorter to get them to "fit" my chamber. If I seat deeply enough that all bore-diameter lead is inside the case, the length is more like 1.163". I have to seat them this deep to avoid the bullet's shoulder hanging up on the edge of my chamber. A friend of mine has the same problem in his high round count RIA 1911. The bullets have gone through a sizer to make sure they are .452", so it's not an oversize bullet issue. Is the bullet meant more for ,45 Colt and it's a bad shape for ACP? What else could we check?
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Try seating the bullet with no more than 1/32 showing outside the case. I use this more than an over all length. Any more and you will be 'headspacing' off the bullet. Also make sure you have .002 - .003 crimp on the bullet. That's all I got.
Brian
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Try seating the bullet with no more than 1/32 showing outside the case. I use this more than an over all length. Any more and you will be 'headspacing' off the bullet. Also make sure you have .002 - .003 crimp on the bullet. That's all I got.
Brian

Good answer, except I think you meant to say,  seat bullet ogive 1/32nd off case mouth. Welcome to forum.

Link Posted: 3/4/2012 9:36:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The Lee 228 mold  has a wonky ogive that will cause chambering issues in guns with shorter throats. That being said, it does shoot pretty well out of guns that will chamber it. My EAA Witness shoots them ok and my buddies RIA Officer loves them at 1.190". Personally, I'd just set it a side for a different gun instead of playing with super short OALs for that weight of a bullet or doing anything to the gun. Molds accumulate worse than holsters. If not, you shouldn't have any problems trading it or selling it.  While I haven't tried it personally the Lee 230 FP is supposed to be pretty decent and if you are ok with tumble lube the Lee 230TL mold has a more standard profile. Both are available in 6 cavity.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 2:59:16 AM EDT
[#4]
OAL is not manual specific, it is firearm specific.  Your handloads need to feed, fit and fire.  Find the OAL that works for you and forget what the manual says, they did not use your firearm in their tests.  Then start low and work up.  After all, if your ammo doesn't fit and fire, there is no need to worry about pressure.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 3:12:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot that bullet by the thousand. I use 1.245 OAL and it feeds in a Colt and  Kimber with both the original and a Kart aftermarket barrel.

I need to read more carefully. I shoot the 1R round nose. Apologies...
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 3:57:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Brian

Tried that. The Remington chamber has such a sharp edge to it that I have to seat fully as I described. I did back off the charge a bit from the recommended 4 grains and fired a few with no signs of overpressure on the case head or primer pocket so they SEEM ok.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Common problem with this bullet. Seat it deeper, shorter COL  till it chambers. Then use a starding load and work up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Bearing surface with lead dictates your OAL.  OAL rules get tossed out the window, and load work up comes back into play.

Too much bearing surface beyond the case mouth ends up jammed into the taper of the throat as you have found out.

Link Posted: 3/5/2012 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bearing surface with lead dictates your OAL.  OAL rules get tossed out the window, and load work up comes back into play.

Too much bearing surface beyond the case mouth ends up jammed into the taper of the throat as you have found out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/handloading/bulletseat.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/handloading/PICT0002.jpg

I'll shoot these then-I keep my powder charges conservative anyway, and the few I sampled(actually a slightly heavier charge than these) didn't show overpressure signs. Nice to see it's a common issue with the bullet. We also have a Lee 2 cavity mold that makes a true conical bullet(think lead version of the "armor piercing" 9MM from Lethal Weapon 3) but I haven't gotten around to ordering a custom seater to avoid deforming the tips. Works out pretty well, a good friend has the molds and melter s but no time. I have bought about 500 pounds of lead($25 per 5 gallon bucket of wheelweights), a sizer and lube and split it with him. With what he's spent and what I've spent we've split the cost pretty evenly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top