Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2012 4:32:45 AM EDT
Anyone know the difference between a Remington small rifle  6 1/2 and 7 1/2?  I am sitting on a couple  of thousand 6 1/2 and want to load some 223 with it.  I think I bought these during the primer crunch in 09.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 4:50:28 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the 7½ is the one that I'd suggest for .223

6½ isn't made for the pressures

Don't you wish they'd put the PSI rating on the box?

As an aside, I did load plenty with the 6½ before realizing my mistake and they weren't a problem.  If I used them, I'd stay with mid pressure plinking rounds.  Certainly nothing approaching NATO pressures.

I now use a CCI #41, NATO primer
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You can dig-around on Remington's website and find their explanation. In a nutshell they are saying the 6-1/2 primers were developed for lower pressure loads like the 30-carbine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info but how do the pressures effect the spent primer or is the primer not hot enough?
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:34:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info but how do the pressures effect the spent primer or is the primer not hot enough?

The 6 1/2 has a much thinner cup and cannot handle the pressure of the 223 or other high pressure rounds.  The warning is written on the newer boxes.  Rem web site has it as well.

In rifle cartridges, the 6-1/2 small rifle primer should not be used in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 204 Ruger or the 223 Remington. The 7-1/2 BR is the proper small rifle primer for these rounds.

Link
http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/167/kw/primers/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzMDE4MDM5Ni9zaWQvdUQ3Y09BUms%3D
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:41:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Use of 6 1/2 primers in .223/5.56 loads can result in pierced primers/gas leakage with the resulting gas leakage eating pits in the face of your bolt.  Enough pits in the face of the bolt and the bolt can be ruined.  Believe me, it's happened to me.  I've had no problems using 6 1/2 primers in lower pressure rounds like 30 Carbine.  I don't know about the priming compound, but the primers themselves can't handle as much pressure as 7 1/2 primers.  Maybe you'll be lucky and maybe you won't.  The guy that sold me the 6 1/2's (during the primer shortage) said they weren't good for .223/5.56, AND I DIDN'T BELIEVE HIM, figuring he had simply used too much powder in his reloads.  Some of the 6 1/2 boxes are even marked in small letters to not use them in high pressure cartridges like .223.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:42:29 AM EDT
[#6]
If you load 6 1/2s in 223 you'll pierce the primers.  That's very bad for your firing pin and bolt face.  I accidentally picked up some 6

1/2s one time and had to try them out to see what would happen.  DON'T USE THEM FOR 223!  I ended up using them to load up

some 38 Specials, as I don't load for any other rifle cartridge that uses small primers.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Use of 6 1/2 primers in .223/5.56 loads can result in pierced primers/gas leakage with the resulting gas leakage eating pits in the face of your bolt. Enough pits in the face of the bolt and the bolt can be ruined. Believe me, it's happened to me. I've had no problems using 6 1/2 primers in lower pressure rounds like 30 Carbine. I don't know about the priming compound, but the primers themselves can't handle as much pressure as 7 1/2 primers. Maybe you'll be lucky and maybe you won't. The guy that sold me the 6 1/2's (during the primer shortage) said they weren't good for .223/5.56, AND I DIDN'T BELIEVE HIM, figuring he had simply used too much powder in his reloads. Some of the 6 1/2 boxes are even marked in small letters to not use them in high pressure cartridges like .223.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for.  I needed to know why.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Use of 6 1/2 primers in .223/5.56 loads can result in pierced primers/gas leakage with the resulting gas leakage eating pits in the face of your bolt.  Enough pits in the face of the bolt and the bolt can be ruined.  Believe me, it's happened to me.  I've had no problems using 6 1/2 primers in lower pressure rounds like 30 Carbine.  I don't know about the priming compound, but the primers themselves can't handle as much pressure as 7 1/2 primers.  Maybe you'll be lucky and maybe you won't.  The guy that sold me the 6 1/2's (during the primer shortage) said they weren't good for .223/5.56, AND I DIDN'T BELIEVE HIM, figuring he had simply used too much powder in his reloads.  Some of the 6 1/2 boxes are even marked in small letters to not use them in high pressure cartridges like .223.

I tried to tell you not to use them for 223/5.56 loads.  

Anyhow, you got them for cheap and can use them in 30 Carbine (like you said you would) or maybe in pistol ammo.

Come to think of it I kind of wish I had kept them and used them for 9mm and 40S&W reloads.

On a side note what is the status of the ERML range nowdays?
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The 6 1/2 cup is thiner by .005"  in the article >  http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I loaded up about 700 223's with Rem 6 1/2 primers.

I plan to shoot them, AND buy a new bolt and firing pin when I use them up.

About 6 out of 10 show signs of piercing.

These were loaded in 1998-99 way before Remington's advisory.

A "friend" GAVE them to me.

Prob knew, but didn't say anything.

Some people...    
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I loaded up about 700 223's with Rem 6 1/2 primers.

I plan to shoot them, AND buy a new bolt and firing pin when I use them up.

About 6 out of 10 show signs of piercing.

These were loaded in 1998-99 way before Remington's advisory.

A "friend" GAVE them to me.

Prob knew, but didn't say anything.

Some people...    

What type of rifle are you going to fire these out of?  Remember, the AR has a free floating firing pin and very thin cupped primers can lead to more issues than just a pierced primer.

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I am confident you could use 6 1/2 primers in .223 provided you load light bullets, 55 grains and lighter and use the starting charges listed in the manuals. They will function in a bolt action, probably not in a semi-auto. There is no way they can withstand a normal .223 powder charge. YMMV.

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am confident you could use 6 1/2 primers in .223 provided you load light bullets, 55 grains and lighter and use the starting charges listed in the manuals. They will function in a bolt action, probably not in a semi-auto. There is no way they can withstand a normal .223 powder charge. YMMV.

I have ample evidence they can, do and have.  I ran some lighter loads, but certainly in the .223 range of acceptable.

I'm not suggesting anyone do it, just saying I did with no ill effects.

I'm lucky like that
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Will be used in an AR-15.

Like I said, I plan to shoot them and then replace the bolt and firing pin.

I WILL be checking for damage/wear every 50 rounds, so I can see what's happening to the
bolt face and firing pin as I go.

It's either that or pull them all, save the powder, decap the case, re-prime with a 7 1/2 and then load them all
over again.

Hate to have to do that.

the hours spent doing that justify just shooting & replacing the bolt and firing pin....
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I WILL be checking for damage/wear every 50 rounds, so I can see what's happening to the

It's either that or pull them all, save the powder, decap the case, re-prime with a 7 1/2 and then load them all
over again.

Hate to have to do that.

the hours spent doing that justify just shooting & replacing the bolt and firing pin....

You should not have any damage to the pin or bolt face it the primers do not pierce.

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Correct.

I'm thinking that at a rate of 10% pierced, I will be keeping a good eye on things
and stop if the erosion starts to look too dangerous.

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyhow, you got them for cheap and can use them in 30 Carbine (like you said you would) or maybe in pistol ammo.

Come to think of it I kind of wish I had kept them and used them for 9mm and 40S&W reloads.

ERML...The county gave the land to the club.  I am now at the Pncla Rifle and Pistol Club and like it better.  I did find uses for all those primers and try to educate others on them.  I was able to use all the primers.

Link Posted: 2/29/2012 6:01:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#20]
The reloaders rule is you have to buy a rifle you can use them in .   A 22 hornet would be something you could use the 61/2's in.  I use them in my .17 AH with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ERML...The county gave the land to the club.  I am now at the Pncla Rifle and Pistol Club and like it better.  I did find uses for all those primers and try to educate others on them.  I was able to use all the primers.

I am glad things worked out, both for you and the club.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

over again.

Hate to have to do that.

You should not have any damage to the pin or bolt face it the primers do not pierce.

Each successive pierced primer jets more gas into the firing pin through increasingly larger holes so the erosion is very quick before the whole exercise is pointless - fewer than 10 shots in my experience, probably closer to 5, I don't recall the exact number.

An eroded bolt face is more a cosmetic issue, but no one wants a rifle damaged that way.  I have a .222 Rem caliber Model 700 that was probably owned by a varminter that loved hot loads, the bolt face has an unbroken ring all the way around the firing pin.  Still shoots good, however.  (This is one of the guns that finally drove the lesson into my hard head to not bid on guns at auction if I haven't looked at it up close.)

When I tried loading AR-chow with the 6 1/2s I didn't have any primers pierced by the firing pin.

I did have primers that burned through at the edge of the cup.  Think pinholes in the primer.

I don't remember how often this occured, but it was enough to case the ring around the boltface.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Anyone else agree with this statement?  I reload both of those calibers. I'm sitting on a couple thousand 6 1/2s, it would be nice to be able to use them up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Anyone else agree with this statement?  I reload both of those calibers. I'm sitting on a couple thousand 6 1/2s, it would be nice to be able to use them up.

My 9MM CZ75 wouldn't reliably fire the 6-1/2 primers. In 38 Special they all go bang so that's where they will be used until gone.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:13:17 AM EDT
[#25]
My 9MM CZ75 wouldn't reliably fire the 6-1/2 primers. In 38 Special they all go bang so that's where they will be used until gone.

Mmmm I have a CZP01 in 9mm and it eats everything.  It is my favorite pistol.  Maybe I will load a few rounds and see how if it goes bang.  I also load 40sw maybe try them out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Mmmm I have a CZP01 in 9mm and it eats everything.  It is my favorite pistol.  Maybe I will load a few rounds and see how if it goes bang.  I also load 40sw maybe try them out.

I've had a full carton of 6 1/2s for years and one day when I run out of small pistol primers, or just want to do some cheap-o plinking rounds, I'll bust them out.  I'm sure that one of my pistols will set them off.

Chris

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 1:22:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have ample evidence they can, do and have.  I ran some lighter loads, but certainly in the .223 range of acceptable.

I'm not suggesting anyone do it, just saying I did with no ill effects.

I'm lucky like that

Just got home from the range with my first sampling of Remington 6 1/2 primer based 5.56 handloads.  I was hoping to find a nice plinking load for a 20" A2 and feel pretty confident with the results.

Loaded up 50 rounds using new Winchester brass, 62 grain OTMs (Sierra Blems from Midway) and 21.8 grains of IMR 3031 with a COAL of 2.260.  (25) of these loads were given a slight crimp with a Lee factory crimp die.  

Quickloads suggests this load has a max pressure of 39897 PSI and a MV from a 20" barrel of 2779 FPS.  The filling ratio is 99.2% and 96.6% of the powder is consumed.  This is the part I liked as it is a very efficient load.

(5) rounds each (crimped and non-crimped) were fired from the following rifles:
20" Bushmaster, 1/9 twist w/ 5.56 Nato chamber and rifle length gas system
16" GTS Recon, 1/7 twist w/ Wylde chamber and midlength gas system
14.5" GG&G M4, 1/7 twist w/ 5.56 Nato chamber and carbine length gas system
(10) rounds each were shot from a 20" Armalite, 1/9 w/ 5.56 Nato chamber and rifle length gas system (this is the intended rifle for these loads).

This load was a dream to shoot.  It not only cycled every single AR15 without a hiccup, it produced surprisingly good accuracy.  No pressure signs what so ever and no pierce primers.  Although, I will admit there is one casing that looks a little suspect around the primer pocket.  I do believe however, this is a result of a brass issue as there one was piece that was difficult to prime.  I will post photos of the brass and test target (from the 20" A2) later this evening.

Damn flyer!  The groups to the left and right are (5) shots and (4) in the X.  Damn Flyer!  This was @ 50 yards.

Non crimped.

Crimped.

Sampling of both.  Crimped on the right.

The suspect!

My next step is to use this same load in some LC brass and see what happens.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top