Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2012 8:15:19 PM EDT
What's up with the 223/5.56 Lyman case gauge.  I read post after post recommending case gauges for loading the AR, which is good, then I read that the Lyman gauge is out of spec.  What's wrong with the Lyman?  Is this from a bad batch of gauges or is this the way they are and will continue to be?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What's up with the 223/5.56 Lyman case gauge.  I read post after post recommending case gauges for loading the AR, which is good, then I read that the Lyman gauge is out of spec.  What's wrong with the Lyman?  Is this from a bad batch of gauges or is this the way they are and will continue to be?

When I read this post I remembered that I have a .223 case gauge that is out of spec. Once I figured out that the gauge was the problem, I just set it aside.

So, I just checked and sure enough, my bad gauge is a Lyman. I can't remember when I bought it.

Any word if Lyman is making this right?

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I read this post I remembered that I have a .223 case gauge that is out of spec. Once I figured out that the gauge was the problem, I just set it aside.

So, I just checked and sure enough, my bad gauge is a Lyman. I can't remember when I bought it.

Any word if Lyman is making this right?

Lyman's opinion is their gauge is correct and everyone else is wrong.  I use a Lyman gauge at times. If you are going to use a gauge to setup dies then the LE Wilson or Dillon seem to work fine. A Stainless steel gauge is a plus too.

Link Posted: 2/25/2012 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Case Gage-Bottle Neck Cartridges - The Lyman case gage is different  then the L.E.Wilson.  The   diameter of the brass is checked with the Lyman, not so with Wilson. This is what Lyman directions say. Can anyone  confirm/verify  this?    Lyman
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If the rim on the brass being checked is .376" dia the Lyman works fine. Its the brass with .378 rims that cause problems. The span between the cuts on the Lyman allows 5.5 thousandths bottom to top which seems too generous to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top