Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2012 3:15:23 PM EDT
CCI 450 vs CCI 41 primers.
How do these compare, are they interchangeable without reworking loads?
LC 5.56 brass, LC 55 gr FMJBT bullets, CCI 450 primers,  24.8gr's H335 at OAL 2.225"
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I will say this ,  the CCI #41 primers are magnum primers too.  Your load is well below max also.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buy CCI41's.

In my experience they are reliable, offer repeatable performance, and are the most accurate primers I have used (shooting groups wise)

Quoted:
I will say this ,  the CCI #41 primers are magnum primers too.  Your load is well below max also.

I wouldnt say "well below" Its close to the advertised max in many manuals. I get around 2900fps in a 16" which is pretty fast.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
All info I've read says data is interchangeable between CCI 450 and CCI 41 primers. Info says the priming mix in both are the same as well as primer cup thickness. The difference between the two is that CCI 41's have a little more distance between the anvil and the cup which is intended to reduce the risk of a slam fire in semi autos with floating firing pins such as the AR 15.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just buy CCI41's.

In my experience they are reliable, offer repeatable performance, and are the most accurate primers I have used (shooting groups wise)

Quoted:

I wouldnt say "well below" Its close to the advertised max in many manuals. I get around 2900fps in a 16" which is pretty fast.

From were I'm standing 2.2 grns is well below max. for 5.56 loads YMMV.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't 26gns the stated max?

Here's a question I have.  Since LC crimps their primers, why don't we?  I understand the basics (I think).  Crimping is to make it(primer) more stable for burst/auto fire?  Since we don't do that (generally), we don't crimp the primers? What am I missing.

Obviously I'm new to this.  I try to read whatever I can and pay attention to these threads but I haven't gotten a satisfying answer on this.
Link Posted: 1/28/2012 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
The crimp is to keep the primer from falling out and jamming the action, when you have someone shooting back at you this cant happen but for the civilian shooter it's best to not have the primers crimped, that way if the load is to hot the primer can come out and make the shooter aware of it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The crimp is to keep the primer from falling out and jamming the action, when you have someone shooting back at you this cant happen but for the civilian shooter it's best to not have the primers crimped, that way if the load is to hot the primer can come out and make the shooter aware of it.

Specifically, crimped primers prevent jams in automatic fire.  This is a MIL-Standard that is applied to all GI cartridge ammo (not shot shells), even GI .38Spl.  But as EWP points out, up I cannot use some primer indications of pressure with crimped-in primers because the crimp hides some indications and changes others.  Further, I think that if there were a real use for handloaders to crimp their primers, there would be a dozen products on the market to do this, and we'd see "oh no not this crap again" arguments over which one was best.
Link Posted: 1/29/2012 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The crimp is to help keep from popping a primer under adverse conditions, like firing a M16 when the barrel and action is still full of water. And no, it wont cycle the action full of water either. Not sure how well the new rose-pedal crimp is for this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top