Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2011 4:33:06 PM EDT
Any of you have an ammunition manufacturing license ?

Applying for several FFLs in coming weeks. Have gotten good information regarding firearms ffl.

Wondered if there were exceptional bear traps for ammunitions license ??

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Flame thrower is a 06 FFL.  He's been MIA for awhile now though.  He told me it was a walk in the park to get the 06.   You'll be seeing the BATFE anyway so why not do it?  Making money doing it is another story.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
We're not quitting our day jobs. 06 FFL will compliment 01 and 07 ffls.

I was kind of dragging my hook for Flame Thrower.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have my Type06. I made quite a bit of extra money at times. But it waxes and wanes. I mostly just did local shops. Did pretty good. Your liability insurance will eat into your bottom line if you don't have a steady income at it. I carreid mine with a place in Kentucky that does riders for all kinds of firearm related businesses, ranges and the like. My insurance was something like $140 a month. But that is liability.

Keeping track of all your incoming and outgoing for taxes is a b%tch.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have my Type06. I made quite a bit of extra money at times. But it waxes and wanes. I mostly just did local shops. Did pretty good. Your liability insurance will eat into your bottom line if you don't have a steady income at it. I carreid mine with a place in Kentucky that does riders for all kinds of firearm related businesses, ranges and the like. My insurance was something like $140 a month. But that is liability.

Keeping track of all your incoming and outgoing for taxes is a b%tch.

This is why I never got into it.  Tough times right now to try to make $$ reloading ammo... just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
With even Silver Bear 223 going up to about $4.75 / 20, selling your reloads might start getting more profitable.

I estimate I can crank out 20 rounds of 223 62 gr for about $3.40/box. Even if you sell at $4.50/box, you might get a lot of bites...

So hypothetically, if a friend (actual friend) wants to shoot some of my rounds, and feels inclined to give me $$ for it, how angry will the ATF be at me?
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
We don't intend to under price our business.

We will be in mid, high price range.

I learned a long time ago anyone can give away business.

It's our job to sell it... anyway ammo will not be our focus.

Will send an email Flame Throwers way.

Thanks All.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 07 FFL will cover the 01 and 06... So you'd only need an 07 to do as you describe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keeping track of all your incoming and outgoing for taxes is a b!tch.

This is why I never got into it.  Tough times right now to try to make $$ reloading ammo... just my opinion.

Biggest problems are supply and demand - When there is a High demand for ammo usually components are in short or near un-obtainium supply.

If you can horde up the components in good times you can make a killing when a shortage pops up. When sales are flat the insurance can eat you alive. Even in good times it will take a good bite out of your back side.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The 07 FFL will cover the 01 and 06... So you'd only need an 07 to do as you describe.

Yeah - 07 is always the best choice, lots of extra paperwork, but the most business flexibility.
Link Posted: 4/16/2011 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]
With an 06, the ATF is the easy part.

The local zoning and fire department folks are the PITA.

And as somebody already pointed out, the 07 covers both the 01 and 06.

Don't forget ITAR - 2250 a year.

TR <- 06 FFL
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 5:17:52 AM EDT
[#11]
When I went for my business license, the guy behind the counter was an anti. Rabidly anti. He wouldn't give me a license till I went in front of the county planning commission. He stated he would be there just so I couldn't get it.

I waited a few days, staked out the office till he left and went up to the girl at the counter and applied. She thought it was cool. We talked guns a bit and $30 later I had my business license.
Link Posted: 4/17/2011 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I love it when a plan comes together! Hehehe!

Link Posted: 4/17/2011 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Hope you have plenty of land for the required magazine for bulk powder storage.
Link Posted: 4/20/2011 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Smokeless storage is not a problem.

Black powder = Problems
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Smokeless storage is not a problem.

Black powder = Problems

Even smokeless is a problem in large quantities.

As soon as you go commercial all sorts of special rules come into affect.

Link Posted: 4/21/2011 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Just saw this.

ITAR? Only if you export. Otherwise not needed.

Powder storage regs? Only if required by your municipality. Feds only require a magazine if you store more than 50lbs of black powder.

Like others have said, get the 07 if you have any plans to do other things.

The ATF does require you to have permission to operate with the municipality, in which you are locating your operations. Yes they will check to be sure you can lawfully operate. Al operations for the ammunition manufacturing must take place at the location specified on the license.

Don't forget the 11% FAET Federal ammunition Excise Tax.

Insurance cost is based on sales. If you don't already have a line on insurance, let me know I canIM you the info for an industry specific company.

Link Posted: 4/21/2011 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Flamethrower will take you up on opportunity to IM with questions tomorrow.

Have requested 07 ffl application. Still waiting for app to show in mail box.

Knew there was no need for ITAR tax and never had powder storage concerns. Smokeless powder on hand will be less than 50lbs.

Looking at being operational in about 7 months.

Link Posted: 4/22/2011 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TR <- 06 FFL

Why would anyone that didn't export want to buy an ITAR license?

There's no way I would tread that morass.

Common misconception; but if you are a manufacturer, you are required to register.

Please see section 122; copy and pasted for your reference:

TITLE 22––FOREIGN RELATIONS

CHAPTER I––DEPARTMENT OF STATE

PART 122 –– REGISTRATION OF MANUFACTURERS AND EXPORTERS

Section Contents
§ 122.1   Registration requirements.
§ 122.2   Submission of registration statement.
§ 122.3   Registration fees.
§ 122.4   Notification of changes in information furnished by registrants.
§ 122.5   Maintenance of records by registrants.

Authority:   Secs. 2 and 38, Public Law 90–629, 90 Stat. 744 (22 U.S.C. 2752, 2778); E.O. 11958, 42 FR 4311; 1977 Comp. p. 79, 22 U.S.C. 2651a.
Source:   58 FR 39298, July 22, 1993, unless otherwise noted.
(a) Any person who engages in the United States in the business of either manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing defense services is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls. For the purpose of this subchapter, engaging in the business of manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing defense services requires only one occasion of manufacturing or exporting a defense article or furnishing a defense service. Manufacturers who do not engage in exporting must nevertheless register.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Knew there was no need for ITAR tax

Read section 122 again; also do a search in the FFL forum here...

TR
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 1:01:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knew there was no need for ITAR tax

Read section 122 again; also do a search in the FFL forum here...

TR

I'll take Flamethrower's word since he has experience with this process and been in the business. All input is much apprecitaed and I will certainly investigate further.

Based on some research so far everything I find says I'm exempt.

Ammunition will not be exported.

Ammunition sales will not be our focus, we're geared towards pistol manufacturing.

There are a few taxes our little company will be exempt from for as long as we keep demand low and company small.

Pricing will keep demand in check.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 6:50:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TR <- 06 FFL

Why would anyone that didn't export want to buy an ITAR license?

There's no way I would tread that morass.

Common misconception; but if you are a manufacturer, you are required to register.

Please see section 122; copy and pasted for your reference:

TITLE 22––FOREIGN RELATIONS

CHAPTER I––DEPARTMENT OF STATE

PART 122 –– REGISTRATION OF MANUFACTURERS AND EXPORTERS

Section Contents
§ 122.2   Submission of registration statement.
§ 122.3   Registration fees.
§ 122.4   Notification of changes in information furnished by registrants.
§ 122.5   Maintenance of records by registrants.

Authority:   Secs. 2 and 38, Public Law 90–629, 90 Stat. 744 (22 U.S.C. 2752, 2778); E.O. 11958, 42 FR 4311; 1977 Comp. p. 79, 22 U.S.C. 2651a.
Source:   58 FR 39298, July 22, 1993, unless otherwise noted.
(a) Any person who engages in the United States in the business of either manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing defense services is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls. For the purpose of this subchapter, engaging in the business of manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing defense services requires only one occasion of manufacturing or exporting a defense article or furnishing a defense service. Manufacturers who do not engage in exporting must nevertheless register.

I'm not going to look right now - what is the definition of defense article?

There have been some raging debates from time to time about this topic on another site that has several members engaged in the manufacture of firearms and ammunition.  I recommend getting advice directly from the US State Department.

Such as the sub paragraphs of the section you provided.

US Department of State - ITAR 2010

The US Munitions List

Registration

Just about every gun or ammunition - ammunition is in section III of Part 121, as you linked, and references everything in section I and II - is considered a defense article. Does it make sense? No. Do I agree with it? No.

Have folks run into problem having 07 FFLs and not having ITAR? Yes.

Take a look at Mark Barnes'ssite here. for the thoughts from a well known firearm industry attorney.

ITAR has been the subject of a couple of articles in SAR's Legal Side column; as this is a topic near and dear to the hearts of Class 3 enthusiasts.

TR
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#24]
You need to register for ITAR since ammunition is on the Munitions list.

It has nothing to do with exporting, just registering.

To actually export you would also need a specific license for whatever you want to export.

The law is actually written pretty clearly "Any person who engages in the United States in the business of either manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing defense services is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls."

Ammunition is a defense article on the US Munitions list.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#25]
X-squeeze me,

I see nothing applicable to handgun cartridges.... I mean, my attention span admittedly is pretty short. I will call these people for clarification.

FFL application arrived in mail today.

Our firearms side of the business is exempt. There was a rider to a highway bill making us exempt provided we manufacture less than 50 receivers a year.

Personally speaking, input unless substantiated is hyperbole unless someone with firsthand knowledge of the process can weigh in.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#26]
1911smith might give freakshow / Adam in MI a shout , IIRC Adam got bitch slapped him for not having it
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#27]
My U.S. Congressman is Sam Graves. I've served as a city councilman in a small town of 5000. Big fish in a very small pond so to speak. It did afford an opportunity to rub shoulders and develop a political dialect.

That said. Just got off phone with Grave's office. Will chase this rabbit to some sort of conclusion and report back.

The Directorate of Defense Trade Controls says the fee applies. We'll just have to give this dog a look see.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd like to see you find out it's not needed . As it's one fee I'd like to avoid when I start running the Magma auto caster for more then my own use
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I can tell you what Sam Grave's office said...... "This tax shouldn't apply to you."

Workin this from a few different angles. Sam Grave's office is calling me back next week after having researched some more and a phone call or two to The Dictorate of Defense Trade Controls.

Every single one of you with any interest in this matter at all should contact your U.S. Congressman.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I can tell you what Sam Grave's office said...... "This tax shouldn't apply to you."

Workin this from a few different angles. Sam Grave's office is calling me back next week after having researched some more and a phone call or two to The Dictorate of Defense Trade Controls.

Every single one of you with any interest in this matter at all should contact your U.S. Congressman.

Is he going to put that in writing, pay your legal bills and any fines, and does it have any actual legal standing before a court?

If you are manufacturing ANYTHING on the munitions list you must register.

It is not all that complicated.

"Any person who engages in the United States in the business of either manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing defense services is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls."

That is the CFR (Code of Federal Regulation).
http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/documents/official_itar/ITAR_Part_122.pdf

If you want to contact your Congrescritter to have it changed, go right ahead.

As of now, IT IS THE RULE.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybee, your misunderstanding what is the current course of action. As it stands per a conversation I had with ITAR enforcement it is the rule to register. With registration comes the $2,250.00.

You were right.

In this conversation with enforcement i  brought up the fact the fee makes it impossible for the little guy to get a start. There was a long pause on the other end.............. then a reply of, you're right. It does.

I'm still not convinced there isn't a loophole but if there isn't, I intend going through the only course of action available is my elected official.

That aid's response.... his name is Mark. Mark's response after a lengthy discussion of our operation and a tour of the ITAR website was encouraging when he said this fee should not apply to you.

Now. Mr. Brickeyee. If you want to piss on my parade go ahead. I'm pretty thick skinned. Both phone calls today were made to Washington DC.

Several here have contacted me via IM and E-mail asking for updates so this is me following through. Have contacted some friends in the business,

they were caught off guard and if they have to pay they will. They'll follow lead and contact their Congressmen first. I'm prepared to lobby this in D.C.

if need be.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Maybee, your misunderstanding what is the current course of action. As it stands per a conversation I had with ITAR enforcement it is the rule to register. With registration comes the $2,250.00.

You were right.

In this conversation with enforcement i  brought up the fact the fee makes it impossible for the little guy to get a start. There was a long pause on the other end.............. then a reply of, you're right. It does.

I'm still not convinced there isn't a loophole but if there isn't, I intend going through the only course of action available is my elected official.

That aid's response.... his name is Mark. Mark's response after a lengthy discussion of our operation and a tour of the ITAR website was encouraging when he said this fee should not apply to you.

Now. Mr. Brickeyee. If you want to piss on my parade go ahead. I'm pretty thick skinned. Both phone calls today were made to Washington DC.

Several here have contacted me via IM and E-mail asking for updates so this is me following through. Have contacted some friends in the business,

they were caught off guard and if they have to pay they will. They'll follow lead and contact their Congressmen first. I'm prepared to lobby this in D.C.

if need be.

If the fee can be changed, or tiered, that would be awesome.

IIRC, I thought Bubbles posted something when the fee went from $500 to $2250, but searching isn't turning it up.

TR
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#33]
ITAR or not, it takes about 3 months to get your 07.   It's really not that long of a time period.  It's kind of an encompassing license.

Good luck with getting yours.   I'll keep reading this thread for updates.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#34]
It sounds more like  'that law should not apply to you and needs changing' than a legal opinion that 'it does not apply'.

I work in radiation measurement for satellites, and our attorney says pay the registration fee.

Almost everything we do is ITAR, and all we produce is measurement reports (no actual space rated hardware).

It would be interesting to review the Congressional Record and see if the interpretation of the registration requirement comports with the debate on the bill that occurred.

It may be that non of the Congresscritters had any idea what the impact would be.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#36]
I skipped past the 07, and went straight to the type 10 FFL when I did it.  Sort of covers you for anything you might get into.

Back then the PMDTC registration was 250 bucks.  The $2250 price happened much later, and is way out of line.  At the time I registered, my attorney went through that carefully and saw no exclusions. It worked out for me because I was filing DSP 83's anyway.  

If you do find an exclusion I know many that would love to hear of it.  Lobbying to get the .gov to step off the ballsack of any gun business?  Good luck with that.  I believer the outrageous fees happened on Bush's watch - he never lifted a finger to slow down the ATF that Klintoon spooled up to dismantle small FFL's.   Suck it up & pay the 2250 - or wait a few years to start your business while you lobby to change things...

Good luck with whatever you do.

Lem
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Two things won't happen in my case. The 2250 or just calling it quits. Worst case scenario is we customize used guns and continue on like we have been with an 07 or less ffl.

There have been bigger issues than this handled congressionally through the collective efforts of a few inspired individuals. I might be the little dog that thought he could but I won't be the dog that rolled over and played dead.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#38]
120.3 Policy on destinguishing and determining defense articles and services

An article or servcie may be designated or determined in the future to be a defense article (see120.6) or defense service (see 120.9) if it:
(a) is specifically designed, deverloped, configured, adapted, or modified for a military application, and
(i) Does not have predominant civil applications, and

(ii) Does not have performance equivelent (defined by form, fit and function) to those of an article or service used for civil applications; or
(b) Is specifically designed, developed, configured, adapted, or modified for a military application. and has significant military or intelligence applicability such that control under this subchapter is necessary.

The intended use of this article or service after it's export (i.e., for military or civilian purpose) is not relevant in determining whether the article or service is subject to the controls of this subchapter. Any item covered by the U.S. Munitions list must be within the catagories of the U.S. Munitions list. The scope of the U.S. Munitions list shall be changed only by amendments made peuersuant to section 38 of the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2778)

This alone seems to exclude civilian manufacturers that don't sell to the DOD, or export. Or maybe I am reading it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#39]
An article or service may be designated or determined in the future to be a defense article

The way that reads to me Flamethrower is if DOD decides to install a guided dust collection system on vacuum sweepers in Aircraft Carriers, then every company manufacturing a like guided, dust collection vacuum sweeper will be subject to ITAR registration and subsequently subject to $2,250.00 registration fee. So anyone manufacturing a weapon or cartridge is subject to ITAR registration. DDTC says the same thing.

On a note of optimism. My U.S. Congressman is Sam Graves. He is one of maybe two Congressman who holds an FFL. This issue has been assigned to an aid who is not in this week. He will be in touch next week and a file has been created to work from.

NRA has a legal designate assigned to every state in the U.S.. Missouri"s designate is Liz Williams, she works lock in step with Sam Graves and his aids. She knows every person on his staff by first name it seems. I have spoken with Liz Williams, she will work with Congressman Graves in this matter.

Will update as I get more information, as it looks there is support in the right direction.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
An article or service may be designated or determined in the future to be a defense article

The way that reads to me Flamethrower is if DOD decides to install a guided dust collection system on vacuum sweepers in Aircraft Carriers, then every company manufacturing a like guided, dust collection vacuum sweeper will be subject to ITAR registration and subsequently subject to $2,250.00 registration fee. So anyone manufacturing a weapon or cartridge is subject to ITAR registration. DDTC says the same thing.

On a note of optimism. My U.S. Congressman is Sam Graves. He is one of maybe two Congressman who holds an FFL. This issue has been assigned to an aid who is not in this week. He will be in touch next week and a file has been created to work from.

NRA has a legal designate assigned to every state in the U.S.. Missouri"s designate is Liz Williams, she works lock in step with Sam Graves and his aids. She knows every person on his staff by first name it seems. I have spoken with Liz Williams, she will work with Congressman Graves in this matter.

Will update as I get more information, as it looks there is support in the right direction.

I read it oppositely.
For your GDCS (guided dust collection system) to be a designated defense article:

It has to be made for military
((a) is specifically designed, deverloped, configured, adapted, or modified for a military application,)
YET it can't already be a product already commonly used by civilians.
((i) Does not have predominant civil applications,)
PLUS it has to have performance superior to commonly used civilian products....OR...
((ii) Does not have performance equivelent (defined by form, fit and function) to those of an article or service used for civil applications;)
If not superior, at least it is modified for military use such that the resulting military or intelligence capability is significant (that is, it gives the military an advantage they don't want their even dumber enemies to have).
((b) Is specifically designed, developed, configured, adapted, or modified for a military application. and has significant military or intelligence applicability such that control under this subchapter is necessary.)

Now....if your main business is building better 1911 pistols.....say Wilson-like...no better....?  I think you'd have to register....ONLY IF the military ever decides the improvements warrant making it a defense article.  Hell if they want your design....you will be able to afford the fee. (and include it in your fee to sell the thing to them.)

Either way, kudos for having some balls to stand up and fight.....we need fewer possums and more wild cats if we ever succeed in making anti-gun power mongers an endangered species.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Keep me up to date.

I did talk to a friend and mentioned this to him as he is getting his 07. He emailed Brandon over at FFL123. He has allowed me to copy the email here.

Brandon,

I have completed my application for a Type 07, they have cahsed my check and I am in waiting mode. I will keep you posted of my success.

Something was recently brought to my attention by a couple of my associates that are in the business and manufacture ammunition. Please review the following links and advise.

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar_official.html

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/documents/official_itar/ITAR_Part_121.pdf

http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/documents/official_itar/ITAR_Part_122.pdf

Evidentally, one individual called the State Dept. andinquired about this.He was told that he must register and pay the $2,000+ fee in order to leagally manufacture ammunition for retail sales. Its very possible that the person he spoke with didnt know what they were talking about. Small business like us cant afford to pay an annual fee like that just to manufacture ammo. Some people have said that it only applies to exportand DoD contract items.

So me, as a small business with a Type 07, manufacturing ammunition for retail sales online, locally and at gun shows, am I required to register with ITAR and pay the yearly fee? Please advise, we are hesitant to proceeed until we have clarification.

Thanks in advance for your help and for the impressive service you make available to guys like me.

Reply:

Hey XXX!

I would login to the member area and open the document titled License Types and read the section on potential disadvantages of an FFL07.

Thanks!
Brandon

This is what he was told to look at, for better or worse:

Type 07

"Disadvantages: You have to submit an annual report to ATF on April 1st of items manufactured (even if zero), which leads to additional paperwork. The renewal price is$50 per year versus $30 per year for Type 01. The ATF does renewals every three years, so it will be $150 for Type 07 versus $90 for Type 01.

All holders of either a Type 07 or Tyoe 10 license are required to submit an ATF Form 5300.11 'Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Exportation Report'. This form must be filled out and sent to ATF by April 1st of each calendar year, even if you do not manufacture any firearms.

Major Disadvantage: If you call the US Dept. of State, they might tell you all holders of either a Type 07 or Type 10 License are required to register with them under the ITAR federal regulations with an annual fee of $2,250. This government oversight was created for military defense and exporting military weapons. The federal govt.wants to ensure our military rivals do not gain access to military technology secrets.

I personally do not pay the ITAR fee and have never registered with the Dept. of State; this has been around for over 30 years and does not appear to be enforced for a 07 FFL license unless involved in military manufacturing or exporting. My ATF agent explained to me they sent the 07 paperwork after I was approved to the Dept. of State, I have never gotten a call. I just want to make sure you are aware that there is a risk here. I have seen recent efforts to have the Fed's change the language of the ITARregulations so they are not so broad. I dont know of any 07 FFL License holders who have paid the ITAR registration fee. The 07 manufacturers where I buy most of my silencers have not paid ITAR, but it is a risk I want you to at least be aware of. My attorney and I feel my business model falls under an exception noted in number 2 and 4 below. Although, I have never formally asked the Dept. of State for an exception. This is a potential risk.

122.1 Registration Requirements.

(a) Any person who engages in the United States in the business of either manufacturing or exporting defense articles or furnishing defense services is required to register with the Office of Defense Trade Controls. Manufacturers who do not engage in exporting must nevertheless register.

(b) Exemptions. Registration is not required for:

(1) Officers and employees of the United States Government acting in an official capacity.

(2) Persons whose pertinent business activity is confined to the production of unclassified technical data only.

(3) Persons all of whose manufacturing and export activities are licensed under the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, as amended.

(4) Persons who engage only in the fabrication of articles for experimental or scientific purpose, including research and development.

Reminder- ITAR registration is not an ATF requirement to get an FFL 07 or a requirement to renew an FFL 07"

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Like you two Flamethrower & GWhis. Your conclusions matched my original interpretation. That is until I called DDTC. They said manufacturing 1911s and commercially handloaded ammunition is on the ITAR list. A friend whose soon to have receivers bearing his name called and told he's required to register & fee applies.

This all boils down to interpretation and a bureau run amuck with sweeping language. I was reading earlier today. DDTC has expanded by hiring more agents. Lots more. DDTC is using increased enforcement to cover the budget. While doing so they have lawyers working with state prosecutors in an effort to define language within their regs for enforcement.

Here's the kicker. Each state is interpreting the language differently.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top