Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2011 7:40:22 AM EDT
I'm having some major inconsistencies with my 9mm cartridge OAL.

I'm shooting for an OAL of 1.165".  I'm getting them coming off the press anywhere from 1.154" to 1.176".

Any ideas?  I'm using a Hornady LNL AP press and Lee dies.

(Yes I know this is longer than normal 9mm.  This is a major power factor 9mm load for USPSA, hence the long OAL)
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested too.  I'm having the same issue.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#2]
How much are you compressing the powder charge?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How much are you compressing the powder charge?

Not at all.  8.2gr of HS-6 is not a compressed load, believe it or not.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the ogive of your bullet doesn't match the shape of your seater plug. The ogives vary slightly and contact the seater at a different spot, thus altering your OAL.

I'm experiencing the same thing with Berry's 124gr HP and RCBS dies. My OAL varies by .015".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sounds like the ogive of your bullet doesn't match the shape of your seater plug. The ogives vary slightly and contact the seater at a different spot, thus altering your OAL.

I'm experiencing the same thing with Berry's 124gr HP and RCBS dies. My OAL varies by .015".

RCBS will make a custom seater plug for about $21, shipping included. I just got two a couple of weeks ago...made a big difference.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Does your seater have a plug that can be turned for either FMJ or JHP, my Dillon seater does and I forgot to swap it one time and had a similar issue
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Redding competition seater that seats on the ogive.  This gives excellent consistency.  

The guys above have pegged your problem.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RCBS will make a custom seater plug for about $21, shipping included. I just got two a couple of weeks ago...made a big difference.

I remember seeing you post about it. I'm not sure it's worth it on my end because I'm switching bullets after I get the rest of these loaded up (just 50 more to go). The HP's are nice, but for putting holes in paper, 115gr RN is plenty.  Thanks for the idea though
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the input guys.  I'm loading 124gr CMJs from Montana Gold right now.  I have a case of their 124gr JHPs on hand to play with.  If I get inconsistent results with those too, I'll try one of the Redding dies.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag for later.... seater die isn't the issue. It's your expander die.

Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Ditch the Lee seating die. It was the single biggest contributor to my lack of consistent OAL on my own 9mm loads (major & minor). The seating plug adjusting knob tended to unscrew itself as I loaded so that the rounds would grow from first to last round loaded. I only noticed it when rounds would not chamber because the bullet was hitting the rifling before fully chambering.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
As tempting as it is to let the dogs loose....

Suggestion; actually two. If you have no faith In your Lee dies toss them in trash can now and get a set of real dies..  LEE is all I use and I don't have issues. You could remove all of your dies. Take handfull of brass, measure.. keep only the longest and shortest. Now set your expander die to barely bell shortest piece. Then insert longest piece in shell holder and confirm you still have full top dead center stroke of ram. Now install the rest of your dies per LEE's instructions and make a run.

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had fair results with LEE dies using the 115gr fmjs.  My OAL still varies by around .004 though.  I can see how the 147grs might cause some issues.  

DOC
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, other than dumping my lee dies is there a fix to this?  I was going good there for while and all of a sudden it started walking.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok, other than dumping my lee dies is there a fix to this?  I was going good there for while and all of a sudden it started walking.

If the seater plug is walking out you probably need a new o-ring in there with a tighter fit.  If the die is backing out you can actually put an O-ring around the die under the locking ring if you're not using the lee locking rings which already have the o-ring in place.  

DOC

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty sure there's an O-ring inside of the die that holds the seater stem from moving around.  I would try and match it up at the hardware store, with the same size or maybe a little thicker.  Clean out the die with alcohol and put the new O-ring in without any oil or anything.  Maybe the a fresh O-ring will hold things in place better.  I'm not guaranteeing anything, but it'd be a cheap thing to try.

ETA:  DOC beat me by a minute with a similar response!
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Since you fellows have seamingly narrowed the problem down to variations in the amount of belling are any of you willing to admit that you need to start trimming to a uniform length that is within spec?
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sounds to me that these guys have you squared away. Something is obviously working itself loose if they were consistent, but now they're varying.

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Since you fellows have seamingly narrowed the problem down to variations in the amount of belling are any of you willing to admit that you need to start trimming to a uniform length that is within spec?

I load right around 20k rounds of handgun ammunition per year.  I absolutely will not trim handgun brass.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I load right around 20k rounds of handgun ammunition per year.  I absolutely will not trim handgun brass.

I don't trim handgun brass.  I load for bullseye and service pistol.  My loading is accurate at 50 yards with no trimming needed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I trim some 45acp and truthfully. It's unnecessary. OAL consistency is affected by expander die more than anything. That's a roger on o-ring. Never had a seater die walk.

Top Top