Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2010 3:33:13 PM EDT
well, i finially got around to loading up some 308 subsonic loads with Trail Boss powder.  thanks to many here for the previous tips and suggestions.  the results were outstandingly quiet.

180gr Speer SP hunting bullets (because i had some) and accuracy was around 1/4-inch at 30 yards out of my bolt gun (5-shot groups) this morning.  Rifle is a Rem 700 with a 16-inch 1x10 twist Schneider barrel with a triple-x suppressor.  very quiet, and mv's were around 1025fps with 10.5gr's TB and stepped up to 1050fps at 10.7 grains.  i started out at 9gr's and was getting around 863fps and accuracy was about an inch+ so the slightly higher velocities produced better accuracy.  yeah, i know its only 30 yards, so i hope to get out to a 100 yard range soon and see how she groups...

several herein suggested that the flat-based bullets work better than boat tails when shooting subsonics.  i havent tried any BT's but have a bunch so migh try some and see what happens....

Link Posted: 9/24/2010 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I loaded up 50 rounds of .300 H&H last night, with 110 grain Hornady V-Max bullets over 18.5 grains of Trail Boss. Should be some really fun plinking loads.

The only downside to Trail Boss is that it's so bulky, there's only 9 ounces in a normal pound jug. But at 10.6 grains per shot, 9 ounces is still 371 shots, from roughly 13 bucks worth of powder. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
very cool on the 300 H&H.  i should try some TB in my 375 H&H and my 35 Rem Marlin for plinking loads.  its definately an economical way to shoot.  

will focus on getting the 308 ironed out at 100 yards and see how she groups for now.  just loaded up some 170gr soft points at 10.7gr's and fired a couple of rounds out back and they are definately subsonic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
IMR has a load for Trail Boss and 235 grain Speer bullets in .375. Looks like it might be a quiet one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top