Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2009 9:57:47 PM EDT
Looking at an HK91 clone. Chamber has 16 flutes and optional 12 flute chambers available.

Is it safe to reload brass from a fluted chamber?
Is it safe to reload for a fluted chamber?
Brass life?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, it is safe to reload brass from a fluted chamber.

Yep, it is safe to reload brass for a fluted chamber.

Brass for a semi auto 308 is more likely to fail through case head separation, or incipient case head separation than case neck splitting.

I used to pick up brass from HK rifles to reload in an M1A.  I don't recall any case neck cracks in that rifle, but I lose cases through incipient case head separation.  The flutes iron out until they are barely visible at end of case life.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, yes, and short.  Your average gas-gun only allows 3-4 reloads to a piece of brass anyway.  IME, brass that has been fired in an HK tends to be on the long side, and may (key word) be difficult to size down to spec.  HKs are way over-gassed and beat the crap out of your brass, in addition to throwing it into the next zip code.  Use of an RCBS X-Die may allow you to reload your brass a few more times before its recycle material.

As far as safety, just inspect your brass each time you plan to load it.  Look for incipent head separation (bent paper clip test), split necks, and loose primer pockets.  You should do the same for brass fired in any gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2009 10:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm looking into buying or building an HK clone. My FAL is the only .308/7.62 rifle right now and I would like to add another to the collection. Thinking about an SBR HK-51 rig, haven't decided.
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes, yes, and short.  Your average gas-gun only allows 3-4 reloads to a piece of brass anyway.  IME, brass that has been fired in an HK tends to be on the long side, and may (key word) be difficult to size down to spec.  HKs are way over-gassed and beat the crap out of your brass, in addition to throwing it into the next zip code.  Use of an RCBS X-Die may allow you to reload your brass a few more times before its recycle material.

As far as safety, just inspect your brass each time you plan to load it.  Look for incipent head separation (bent paper clip test), split necks, and loose primer pockets.  You should do the same for brass fired in any gun.

They aren't gassed....they are delayed roller blowback.

I have found my G3 tears brass up and launches it a good distance away...For reloaing, invest in a brass catcher and some kind of soft brass deflector (Too keep it from denting the shit outta the brass) also my ejector tends to leave fairly large divots near the primer pocket.  I generally only shoot my crappy brass thru my G3 (mainly Indian) or not reloadable, like Aussi or SA.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I've heard that these guns were pretty violent while ejecting. I may not have to worry about reloading the brass, I won't be able to find the cases.

I was just wondering if the fluted chamber caused any problems. I guess it could go a couple cycles through the FAL then be designated for the HK providing they pass inspection.

Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got an HK 91 and if you can find the brass, you can reload it.  I don't think that I'd try to set any records for how many cycles I could  get out of '91 fired brass, but a few reloadings should be safe.  

Remember, that rifle has roughly a ~3# BCG, so it does do a number on the case upon extraction.  This is why they fluted the chambers, due to the BCG ripping rims off the case heads during extraction in non-fluted chambers.  Just a violent process with this design.

Cases ususally look worse, due to soot and sizing dies will get any ripples out of the brass.  I'd prefer reloading these, than cases with the deep gash that my AK-47 imparts.  Soft dents are no biggie, but creases which break the metal's surface, you want to be careful with.

Also, don't load too softly if you want that 3# BCG to cycle.  I loaded some softies for some reason (to shoot in my FAL?) with IMR 4064 and they were clocking about ~2200 fps, but would not cycle the BCG.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The cases will be harder to resize than cases shot in a non-fluted chamber.  I have to do them twice on an RCBS Partner to get them to feel right.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 3:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done it many times. It works just fine. Only trouble I have ran into was the roller locked rifle I have tends to ding the side of the case pretty hard when ejecting.
Link Posted: 10/20/2009 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Shot and reloaded and shot many many rounds for an HK91, less for a CETME. You soon figure out what brands of brass are tougher than others. Winchester was toughest. The worst part was getting the crud off the case before resizing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top