Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2009 7:42:06 PM EDT
I loaded some 9mm last night and shot it today. low and behold all the problem rounds i had were  with "G.F.L. 9mm luger"   brass.
anyone have the same experience?
it is as if the brass is too soft and is pushed down instead of resizing. it "squishes" the base so it is flared and will not fit in the chamber. it is not skinning it, as it is just bulging a little at the base towards the rim.
had this happen with one particular foreign brand of 223 as well, only two brands of brass that ever do this for me...

i have always been able to load all 9mm brass that is boxer primed, now i run across this... i would hate to have to sort my 9m range pickup brass, as that is a main benefit of loading pistol, no case prep aside from checking the loaded ammo for split case necks.
thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of that headstamp, or that particular problem.

It's a good idea to sort anyway, to get rid of "problem brass" like AMERC.  That crap gets thrown in the recyle bin.  Splits easily.  Only type of brass I've personally had a major problem with, so far.
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]
same here. amerc and one other rare brand that i had mixed in with my police range pickups i bought a while back.
i always sort my 223 and other rifle brass. looks like 9mm will get the same treatment.
thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2009 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I kaboomed a glock 40 with GLF brass and lead reloads once.  Upon examination of brass I had a couple other GFL cases that had started to balloon at the back where the case was unsupported.  Didn't have that problem with any other headstamp.  I'd avoid it.  And I'd also avoid shooting lead reloads in a glock.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 2:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
From what i've read, G.F.L. is suppose to be the same as Fiocchi Brass.  Supposidly Fiocchi uses both headstamps.

I read that it was suppose to be GTG atleast in .223, I don't know about 9mm though.

-Masta
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I shit can GFL brass.  I think it's one of them that was giving me really loose primers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I shit can GFL brass.  I think it's one of them that was giving me really loose primers.

Pistol brass, Rifle brass, or both??

I am curious because I have quite a few G.F.L .223 rifle brass I was going to reload at some point.

-Masta

Link Posted: 4/6/2009 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pistol brass, Rifle brass, or both??

I am curious because I have quite a few G.F.L .223 rifle brass I was going to reload at some point.

-Masta

if the rifle is anything like the pistol. take it to the scrap yard!
i jsut went through a few of the reloads and there were 2 with split brass where the brass bunched up. that tells me the brass is to soft.
i would keep your lot of 223 brass and try it, but proceed with caution.
brass it getting expensive, so throwing it out or scrapping it sometimes is not the best option.
for 9mm, i am going to be segregating it and putting it with my scrap.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
PPU seems to be my problem brass in both 9mm & 45acp
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the lenght of the case before being squished?
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I reloaded hundreads of GFL .38 SPL with +P pressures and had no problems.. It's fiocchi ammo, mine was purchased new and I've reloaded. It is lighter on average than my remmington, winchester... YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have some GFL 45 ACP cases mixed in with everything else. (except Americ, they were recycled)

I have had no problems with them.

45 ACP operates on much lower pressure than 9mm, so that could be a difference.

If they are giving you problems, put them with the Americ cases in the bottom of your recycle can.
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
GFL is Fiocchi Italy.

I have reloaded a fair bit of their rifle brass with no issues, but then I also buy Federal 223 brass from people who believe everything they read on the Internet. I'll buy your clean, once-fired 9mm and 223 GFL and Federal brass 10% more than your scrap metal price. Sound fair?
Link Posted: 4/6/2009 8:04:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out the "FC 223 brass" tacked post near the top of the page.

I checked some of my 223 FC brass. Threw a lot of it in the recycle bucket.

The pic of the cut away webs tells the story.

edit to post link
Link
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#14]
shooting Fiocchi 9mm with GFL brass tonight with the Mrs. and her feather arms AT-9 jammed up hard after 6 rounds.  When doing some investigation, I found that the Fiocchi rounds had seriously blown primer pockets.   I won't be shooting these again...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top