Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2014 4:26:43 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm having light primer strike issues on my GSG-5. It was purchased new a few months ago.

Seems to work best with Federal 525 ammo but that's about it.

I tried disassembling and oiling everything, even took the drop safety out and I still have the light primer strike issue.

Anything else I can try before sending it in for warranty repair?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Your GSG is apparently an older one, right?  And out of warranty?  If so, and IF you are handy enough, check-out the "firing pin" modification in the pinned threads.  It worked for me.

First though, clean the bolt face and the breach face really well, get off all the carbon deposits, even use a pin or other fine-sharp object to get it out of grooves where the casing seats.  Spray out around the firing pin opening with Gun Scrubber.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your GSG is apparently an older one, right?  And out of warranty?  If so, and IF you are handy enough, check-out the "firing pin" modification in the pinned threads.  It worked for me.

First though, clean the bolt face and the breach face really well, get off all the carbon deposits, even use a pin or other fine-sharp object to get it out of grooves where the casing seats.  Spray out around the firing pin opening with Gun Scrubber.
View Quote

3 months old! And it is a newer one.

I took apart the entire firing pin mechanism and cleaned and oiled it thoroughly. Did not help.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Che...what confused me was your saying it was a "GSG-5" as opposed to a "GSG522".  Or is this new and REALLY old new/stock?

Under warranty...call ATI and send it back.  From most of what I've read and certainly by my experience ATI has excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It is indeed a GSG-522 SD. It's new.

Called ATI and will be sending it in for repair.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Please post the results of your experience and any info on what caused it (if ATI determines a cause and tells what it was).
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#6]
It might be a fairly easy fix you can do yourself.

Light primer strikes I've encountered were due to the barrel rotating out of the trunnion block.
Essentially due to vibration, the barrel will rotate a little (unscrew) and move slightly forward - allowing the cartridge to move slightly and absorb the shock of the firing pin and not go off with a solid strike.

If you re-tighten the barrel  it may promptly fix the problem.  I think they are left hand thread If I recall.  You should be able to remove your suppressor, get a strap wrench or use some tool and tighten the exposed part of the barrel without dis-assembly.

If it continues, you can clean the respective thread surfaces and use loctite to hold it on - it won't move easily after that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Please post the results of your experience and any info on what caused it (if ATI determines a cause and tells what it was).
View Quote

Will do that!
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It might be a fairly easy fix you can do yourself.

Light primer strikes I've encountered were due to the barrel rotating out of the trunnion block.
Essentially due to vibration, the barrel will rotate a little (unscrew) and move slightly forward - allowing the cartridge to move slightly and absorb the shock of the firing pin and not go off with a solid strike.

If you re-tighten the barrel  it may promptly fix the problem.  I think they are left hand thread If I recall.  You should be able to remove your suppressor, get a strap wrench or use some tool and tighten the exposed part of the barrel without dis-assembly.

If it continues, you can clean the respective thread surfaces and use loctite to hold it on - it won't move easily after that.
View Quote

Interesting, I just may try that.

I tried taking the drop safety out but it didn't have any effect on the light primer strikes. I also took apart and cleaned/oiled the firing pin assembly... No effect there either.

I'll try to tighten the barrel, maybe that will help!
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top