Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2013 10:39:58 AM EDT
So I experience about 10 light strikes out of each magazine with my GSG 5P - practically every other shot is a light strike.  I was about to perform the firing pin mod when I saw that one guy simply removed the firing pin safety button from his bolt.

Since this is a reversible process and is fairly simple I decided to try this.  And it appears to have worked!  I went out and shot 100 rounds without a single light strike/FTF/Stovepipe.  I'm still reluctant to say that this has totally cured it but I've got to say it appears to have done so.

If anyone responds or shows interest I will give an update on Monday after I take it out on the weekend and put a few hundred rounds through it.

Pretty happy now though

Link Posted: 5/18/2013 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I am happy to report back that last night I shot 200 rounds through my gsg5p without a single light strike.  Something is definitely not right with the safety button.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Where did you find the instruction to remove the safety button? I need to do this to mine as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Where did you find the instruction to remove the safety button? I need to do this to mine as.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where did you find the instruction to remove the safety button? I need to do this to mine as well.

Is this real???????? If so how come no body can answer this???????

It's been 9 days and no body can answer this????????

Link Posted: 5/28/2013 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this real???????? If so how come no body can answer this???????

It's been 9 days and no body can answer this????????

Yeah I cannot find the instruction to do this anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
So sorry.  You have to disassemble the rifle and take the bolt apart.  I could never find really good instructions on bolt disassembly, but it basically is held together with 4 or 5 torx bolts.  There is also an extremely small set screw that holds a pin in place.   You need to remove the set screw and push the pin out with a pin or paper clip.  It took me about 10 minutes to figure this out because it is soooooo small.

before pulling the two halves apart, make sure the springs are to your right and the firing pin to your left.. And be careful to cover the back of the bolt so the 2 springs don't blast into oblivion.  Once apart there is a spring loaded button that goes through a slot in the firing pin and since you removed what would be the left side of the bolt (as firing) it will be trapped under the firing pin..  It is maybe 1/4" in diameter and there is no missing it because its shiny.  Lift the firing pin up and remove it and its spring.

I will take my GSG5PK apart tonight and take pictures of each step.  I never had the problems with my PK like I did with my P though.

I have not experienced a single light strike since doing this on my P.  It has finally become a reliable firearm.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So sorry.  You have to disassemble the rifle and take the bolt apart.  I could never find really good instructions on bolt disassembly, but it basically is held together with 4 or 5 torx bolts.  There is also an extremely small set screw that holds a pin in place.   You need to remove the set screw and push the pin out with a pin or paper clip.  It took me about 10 minutes to figure this out because it is soooooo small.

before pulling the two halves apart, make sure the springs are to your right and the firing pin to your left.. And be careful to cover the back of the bolt so the 2 springs don't blast into oblivion.  Once apart there is a spring loaded button that goes through a slot in the firing pin and since you removed what would be the left side of the bolt (as firing) it will be trapped under the firing pin..  It is maybe 1/4" in diameter and there is no missing it because its shiny.  Lift the firing pin up and remove it and its spring.

I will take my GSG5PK apart tonight and take pictures of each step.  I never had the problems with my PK like I did with my P though.

I have not experienced a single light strike since doing this on my P.  It has finally become a reliable firearm.

looking forward to the instructions.  im getting about 5-10 light stricks in my gsg and was about to do the fireing pin mod.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay I did this to my GSG5PK bolt and here are the instructions:  I take no responsibility if you screw up your gun doing this, although if you do it correctly it is completely reversible.  It could result in an out of battery detonation although that is highly unlikely.  The purpose of this button is to prevent the firing pin from being in its forward most position until the bolt is in its forward most position and the trigger is squeezed.  There is a spring in the firing pin housing that is already performing this function so this is a secondary safety.

First remove the Torx bolts holding the two bolt halves together.  This requires a Torx #8 - the silver bolt is a Torx #10.

Here they are laid out by the holes they came out of.

next remove the set screw that is virtually impossible to see:

using a paperclip from the opposite side, push the pin out of the hole:

THIS PIN LIMITS THE TRAVEL OF THE FIRING PIN

Carefully remove the top half of the bolt, keeping your hand over the bolt so springs don't go flying.

Remove these 3 Torx bolts, they are #10 and you may have already removed one of them in step 1.

these allow the firing pin housing to be separated.  Again the firing pin spring will want to launch the firing pin keep them in your cupped hands when separating.

Here is the culprit, it's a safety button that can rub on the firing pin causing it to slow, resulting in light strikes.

JUST REMOVE IT.

It looks like this with its spring:

Re-assemble by first putting the two firing pin housings back together loosely and upside down.  Let gravity hold the firing pin spring in place.  Slide the firing pin in from the back of the housing and eventually you will be able to feel when it is seated right and the spring is pushing it back.  Once it is located properly, put the pin back into it's little hole.  Push the firing pin forward until the slot in the firing pin lines up with the hole in the housing and the pin will drop into place and secure the firing pin.  Secure the pin with the set screw.  Then screw the 3 silver Torx #10 bolts back into place.

Put the one spring back on the long metal pin with the small end forward and put it back into the bolt housing.  Put the second long spring on the second long pin and carefully put the other bolt housing in place by first securing the spring and pivoting the front downward.  With practice you will become good at this.  Expect to loose the spring a few times.  Tighten the Torx #8 bolts back into place and re-assemble the rifle.

If you look at your firing pin you will notice a small partial circular notch cut into it that this safety button would engage with.  It is intended to prevent the firing pin from moving into the forward position and setting off a non chambered round.  However, the spring is pushing the firing pin to its rearmost position so this button is a safety mechanism.  When the bolt is forward and the rifle is in fire mode this button is pushed in and allows the firearm to fire.  But this button can rub on the firing pin, slowing it's forward progress resulting in light strikes.  By removing it you are removing a safety mechanism of your firearm but you are also reducing the chance of light strikes.

When I removed the pin it changed the characteristics of my GSG from a worthless POS to a fun to shoot firearm.  From what I understand this safety pin is unique to GSG and is not on a Ruger 10-22 or Remington 597 or other common .22lr rifles.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Was having the same problem with light strikes to. Gun would shoot every other round. Was really pissing me off.  Did this mod and also polished the firing pin to a mirror finish. Now it runs like it should. 400 rounds later with the same ammo has before and not a single light strike. Finally this gun Is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 12:15:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Would also recommend the hammer strut mod as well for various reasons including light strikes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I just purchased a GSG522 and was wondering how many of you guys are experiencing light primer strikes
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just purchased a GSG522 and was wondering how many of you guys are experiencing light primer strikes
View Quote

I am. out of 110 rds I had 28 light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I was. I say was because last time I fired mine it was 20* out and snowing and I was shooting Aguila. I had no light strikes, but my trigger wasn't resetting after I did a trigger mod so I think I solved the problem, but the trigger was acting up so I put less than 15 rounds through. I did the dumbass thing and did all my mods at once so I don't really know if my problems are solved.

-Matt
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#14]
One other common thing to look for is that your barrel is loosening out of the receiver block.  When this turns out a little, the cartridge either seats a little deeper or moves forward when the pin hits it from behind - taking the strike strength out of the firing pins job.  Make sure your barrels are tightened - They are a left hand thread

Take the fake suppressor cover off, grab something like vice grips and something soft to protect your barrel, see if you can grab and tighten it a little without too much effort.  Check the chamber to align your extractor cut on the barrel with the breech block.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Wanted to bump this and say thanks for the write up. Did it today because I've got a range trip coming up a week from now. Took about 45 mins, but a lot of that was trying to remember how to remove the bolt
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:56:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried doing the drop safety mod but it did nothing for me.

Right now 3 out of 4 trigger pulls result in light primer strikes.

Rifle is going back to ATI for warranty service.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a GSG 522P  took it out once put 100 rds of Mini Mags through it. Zero issues.
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top