Kailash Khukuri (Page 3 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlvinYork:
are they ever made with a full tang?
View Quote
Yes, look at the pictures of the Panwal that I have posted above. It has a full tang.

If I am not mistaken, a traditional blade will have a rat tail.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:42:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John_Wayne777] [#2]
I believe the military models are made with a full tang as well.

Mine certainly appears to have the full tang.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
good to know, full tang best tang.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
These seem like good Christmas presents for teenaged boys? What's the lead time like at the moment?
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mcculver5:
These seem like good Christmas presents for teenaged boys? What's the lead time like at the moment?
View Quote
approx seven weeks per the website.

i need to get my order placed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I ordered on 8/25 and just got a ship notice, due here via DHL next Friday.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jd2395:
I ordered on 8/25 and just got a ship notice, due here via DHL next Friday.
View Quote
I ordered around 8/22 and haven't heard any updates since 9/10.  I can't expect the order to be completed yet, but just sent a response to see if there are any updates on the status.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Ordered on 9/4, got a shipping notice early this morning.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Received a great reply.  My Bowie is about ready.  The Sirupate is awaiting its acid wash for the blade.  They should be ready to ship by the time this special Dashain festival concludes.

I think that both blades are looking fantastic!

Happy Dashain to the folks at Kailash!

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 7:03:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: John_Wayne777] [#10]
I received my package from Kailash yesterday:

It's a very attractive knife...tool...whatever these things are. The horn scales have a nice figuring to them. It's very, very sharp.

The sheath is very attractive but doesn't do such a great job at retention. You can hold the sheath upside down and the knife will fall out from gravity. I'm a complete and total n00b when it comes to kukri blades so this may be just how these types of sheaths are supposed to work. In retrospect I probably should have gone with their more modern sheath design with the leather clasp around the handle for retention/carry.

I ordered the Historical Service Issue knife with the longer 3.5" handle. That was a good call as it gives my relatively large hands plenty of room on the grip of the knife.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:21:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Deussne:
Yes, look at the pictures of the Panwal that I have posted above. It has a full tang.

If I am not mistaken, a traditional blade will have a rat tail.
View Quote

Panawal translates literally to "with dots" in reference to the rivets on the side of the scales.
Full tangs are a tricky one- the first military full tang khukuris started appearing around the end of ww1 however examples predate this. Full tang blades have been around for a long time in the region (khyber knife, choora) and I wouldn't be too surprised if a very old one was found. I guess it all depends on where you draw the line on traditional- for me I think that as long as the blade was developed inside Nepal by Nepali people organically rather than cooked up for export then it's a traditional model.
For a blade that will see heavy prying and digging a full tang blade is the smart pick. For khukuris 13" and under and sirupates 16" and under I think the more powerful balance and better feel in hand of a rat tail is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:26:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

It's a very attractive knife...tool...whatever these things are. The horn scales have a nice figuring to them. It's very, very sharp.

The sheath is very attractive but doesn't do such a great job at retention. You can hold the sheath upside down and the knife will fall out from gravity. I'm a complete and total n00b when it comes to kukri blades so this may be just how these types of sheaths are supposed to work. In retrospect I probably should have gone with their more modern sheath design with the leather clasp around the handle for retention/carry.
View Quote

These are some beautiful photos- would you mind if we shared them on social media?
Lucky to get such a beautiful piece of horn- there's not too many milky pieces that come through the shop. Try pushing on the spie of the khukuri so the bolster area tilts close to the inside edge of the sheath. I'd not heard of this before but on my last visit the team said it can sometimes function as a quasi lock on traditional sheaths. Should you want a western leather sheath in future we can make one without the blade in hand and ship it out with a future order or that of a friend- just send me an email at [email protected] and we'll work it out.

Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kaialsh
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:34:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kailashblades:

These are some beautiful photos- would you mind if we shared them on social media?
View Quote

Sure, go right ahead.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 3:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shane333] [#14]

Kailash Blades have reached the Rocky Mountains!

My Sirupate arrived this week and this morning I took pictures while walking in Provo Canyon.

The acid wash on the blade brought out the hamon line. I also went with the traditional rubbed-leather dap/sheath.

It feels absolutely amazing in the hand and is a work of art.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 3:40:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shane333] [#15]

My socket Bowie also arrived.  This is semi-custom.  The blade is 9.5 inches instead of 8.5, and I requested a more piercing tip design.

This is a slicing/chopping beast!

Link Posted: 10/23/2022 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#16]
One last picture from this morning.  The Provo River with the edge of Mount Timpanogos in the background, and another look at the Sirupate blade with the acid wash finish.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Pictures were taken along the Provo River walking/cycling trail between Bridal Veil Falls and the Upper Falls area further up the trail.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I had mistakenly posted in the GD EDC thread about my late fascination with these blades. I do have a craptastic Cold Steel one that is kinda EDC on lawn work days, but I was definitely in the wrong thread. I'm eyeballing some things over on kailashblades.com, and am putting together an order on paper for next month. Great thread, responses, explanations, and photos. I just came out of retirement this month and took a P/T job for a little extra green in my pocket. I see it will be a little bit longer before I see profit, but I also foresee a few cool new blades about to be added to my collection.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered one of the primitive made blades from KHHI from the GD thread that disappeared a while ago.  It's cool as hell.

This thread inspired me to try another maker.  Now I begin the wait for a 14" chitlange and a historical service model.  Hopefully they turn out as well as the ones you guys are posting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#20]
And so it begins.

Link Posted: 12/15/2022 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By parrisisland1978:

As easy on the wallet as that Kailiash Khukuri is, I am going to have to double up an order and add their Plane Jane Bowie. I been looking for a good Bowie to go on my Cap & Ball pistol belt.
https://kailashblades.com/product/plain-jane-bowie/
View Quote

Well because of things, it took 2 years of waiting but I finally placed my order!

One
Historical Service Issue - 11.5"
•Blade Finish:Satin
•Hardware:Steel
•Handle Material: Black Micarta Wrap
•Handle Length:Medium (4.75")
•Sheath: black kydex
•Grind Type:Standard Grind

And one
Plain Jane Bowie
Back Edge: Flat Topped
Blade Finish: Satin
Handle material: Black Micarta- Full Tang
Sheath: Kydex and western leather
Kydex Colour: Black
Grind Type: standard
Kydex Colour: Black

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Beautiful photos Shane333! The copper on that sirupate pairs so well with the autumn foliage. Says something about how gorgeous the surroundings are when even a brute like the socket bowie is looking lovely.
Thanks so much for the continued support guys. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns- got a computer again now so am a bit more active on forums!
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#23]
What is the average turn around time currently?
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#24]
website says approx seven week lead time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By LAJ1980:
What is the average turn around time currently?
View Quote

I ordered on November 8th, and received notice yesterday they were turned over to DHL for shipping.  Supposed to arrive by the 30th, so the claim of 7 weeks seems pretty close.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]
These turned out really well.  The HSI is nice and thin, but the real treat is that chitlange.  It's super snappy.

Link Posted: 1/4/2023 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I love the way that they take the time to keep their customers informed.

Today’s email Inbox:
Hey mate
Bisnu here
We have started the forging process of your blades and queue for the grinding process. Here are some photos of the blades during the process.
Take care,
Namastey.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Another Update.

Hey mate
Bisnu here
We have finished the grinding process of your blades and queue for the oil quench process. Here are some photos of the blades during the process.
Take care,
Namastey.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Think I’ll order a Panawal this week. Love the traditional look of the brass and rosewood. Not sure what finish(satin or polish) and grip length though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Ended up ordering a modern standard issue.

10.5 blade
Polished
Brass hardware
Rosewood handle
OD green kydex sheath

In the next month or two I’ll probably order a 11in Panawal or HSI. Maybe both.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:11:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
Ended up ordering a modern standard issue.

10.5 blade
Polished
Brass hardware
Rosewood handle
OD green kydex sheath

In the next month or two I’ll probably order a 11in Panawal or HSI. Maybe both.
View Quote

Nice, between these guys and the KHHI order I've got 5 versions of these things now.  Old lady thinks I'm mental but I'm going to put them on a magnetic strip to hang in the living room so she can really think I'm mental.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:08:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: parrisisland1978] [#32]
Just got my email that my 2 are completed and on their way.
Just left Dubai, so estimate is 8 days from now.
These are the pics they sent. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#33]
My old lady has been half ass bitching about my idea to hang them in a corner of the living room but she says she likes how they turned out, so I guess I got lucky.

Now I have to figure out a mounting setup to display some Swiss Army daggers I got a couple years ago in Basel.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 2:20:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Email said 3 - 4.5 weeks from order to forging. Got first update exactly 3 weeks from order. Can’t wait.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Went ahead and ordered another one.

Angkhola Dui Chirra

Blade Length: 13"
Blade Finish: Polished
Hardware: Steel
Tang Style: Rat Tail Tang
Handle Material: Indian Rosewood
Handle Length: Medium (4.75")
Sheath: Western Leather
Grind Type: Performance Grind
Additional Sheaths?: No
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Went ahead and ordered another one.

Angkhola Dui Chirra

Blade Length: 13"
Blade Finish: Polished
Hardware: Steel
Tang Style: Rat Tail Tang
Handle Material: Indian Rosewood
Handle Length: Medium (4.75")
Sheath: Western Leather
Grind Type: Performance Grind
Additional Sheaths?: No
View Quote

Very nice, I was looking at that one as well. Just curious and maybe @kailashblades can chime in and explain, but I 'm curious as to these two sheath choices. Forgive me, but I can't really navigate the website at work very well.

Salyani – Rubbed Leather?

Western Leather?

ROCK6
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Should be here Tuesday.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey guys!
Thanks a bunch for the continued support. We've developed a new method of calculating turnaround times so I'm glad to hear it's working out :)

Originally Posted By ROCK6:

Very nice, I was looking at that one as well. Just curious and maybe @kailashblades can chime in and explain, but I 'm curious as to these two sheath choices. Forgive me, but I can't really navigate the website at work very well.

Salyani – Rubbed Leather?

Western Leather?
View Quote

Western leather is a sandwich style, open backed sheath made purely out of very thick and tough leather. It has the same carry options as kydex (horizontal, vertical, dangler with leg tie) but isn't ambidextrous or modular. Here's one made for a scourge with a piggybacked spur.

On non recurved blades we often do a closed back design with a snap strap around the heel of the blade as shown here. We're working on a simpler loop setup for smaller knives.

The rubbed/salyani leather is essentially a traditional dap but features a hand made villager leather as the casing. It's quite beautiful & more historical for pre ww2 blades. It can be embossed and we can dye it however you'd like, however I think it is a bit thinner and not quite as rugged as the usual leather we use. We do not use it for loops as it is too stiff. here's a picture of a brown sheath- we have also done black, reddish brown and cream.

Sorry to hear the website is giving some issues- I'm limited in how many devices I test it on. Are you on phone or desktop? If you let me know the issue I might be able to improve it for everyone
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#39]
I really like the looks of the Sirupati blades.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#40]
@kailashblades For something that’s completely handcrafted this thing way nicer than I was expecting. I’m really impressed with the quality. I’m glad I ordered the Dui Chirra as well.

Already did some light chopping. I’ll put it through it’s paces when it gets warmer here in the next month or two.

And since this is ar15.com

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 3:07:03 AM EDT
[#42]
@stealthguy Glad you're happy with it! We've been pushing fit and finish the last year or so and have seen improvements across the board.
If you like the MSI then your Dui Chirra should be a knockout. :)
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 3:52:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Utahshooting] [#43]
I'm really liking that Scourge version. Is it possible to get a left handed kydex sheath?
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Still waiting on the Dui Chirra. I’ve been getting some good use out of my MSI. It’s become my favorite go to for everything out back. Even got a nice knick on the blade from striking a rock while delimbing last years Christmas tree that I fixed a bit.

Still trying to figure out what number three will be.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#45]
@utahshooting
Our kydex is modular and fully ambidextrous. For piggyback carry plates these are right or left handed but we supply both when they are ordered.
@stealthguy Shouldn't be too long now- I can look into an order update if you'd like?
I think number 3 will depend on how you like your Dui Chirra. if you want to maximise chopping power you could go mk1. Mutiny has a great feel in hand and is pretty different. Handy and versatile at 14", a manageable beast at 15.5">
Take care,
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:06:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthGuy] [#46]

Originally Posted By kailashblades:
@stealthguy Shouldn't be too long now- I can look into an order update if you'd like?
I think number 3 will depend on how you like your Dui Chirra. if you want to maximise chopping power you could go mk1. Mutiny has a great feel in hand and is pretty different. Handy and versatile at 14", a manageable beast at 15.5">
Take care,
View Quote

I ordered another Dui Chirra. An 11in with full tang in satin.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:01:03 AM EDT
[#47]
[I ordered another Dui Chirra. An 11in with full tang in satin.
View Quote

Should feel pretty different with the shorter length and full tang despite being the same model- an interesting choice :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By @Elvis121:
My old lady has been half ass bitching about my idea to hang them in a corner of the living room but she says she likes how they turned out, so I guess I got lucky.

Now I have to figure out a mounting setup to display some Swiss Army daggers I got a couple years ago in Basel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70083/20230209_203629-2705093.jpg
View Quote

If you had to sell all but one, which would you keep?
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:

If you had to sell all but one, which would you keep?
View Quote

Probably the chitlange, it is really cool.  It's not as hardcore a chopper, but I've got other tools that can serve that purpose.

If I was starting over and could only do one I'd probably order the Kailash sirupate.  Still might.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#50]

Page / 4
Kailash Khukuri (Page 3 of 4)
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top