Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2017 4:35:23 AM EDT
Went to Home Depot on my way home today for some stuff to do over the weekend. They had a deal where if you sign up for their card you get 25 bucks off.
I only had about 15 bucks of stuff, so after thinking about it for a second I picked up the e24a Camper's ax. I've always wanted one since I've been a fan of Estwing hammers since way back in my construction days. Hell, I still have a couple of 'em.
I want to know what you guys think of them. I really like the looks of it, with the stacked leather handle and all.
What do our resident ax aficionados think of them? I'm mainly going to tie it to my camping/hiking pack and use as a, well, camping ax.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I say you did good. Better than united cutlery or cold steel. Grew up with an estwing camp axe rubber but rubber rotted and replaced with paracord.

Also reprofiled it to have a sharp beard.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Unnecessarily heavy? With too much shock? Do your elbow a favor and lose the Estwing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#3]
What do you suggest mforeskinwhinedial911 for $12.00 full tang good steel?
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I apologize. I didn't mean to go full retard but I'm sure you didn't either.
OP you did good. 12$ you have a hatchet that won't quit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I say you did good. Better than united cutlery or cold steel. Grew up with an estwing camp axe rubber but rubber rotted and replaced with paracord.

Also reprofiled it to have a sharp beard.
View Quote
Thanks, I haven't used it yet but I was thinking of putting a sharper edge on it. It shouldn't be too hard since it has a convex edge.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unnecessarily heavy? With too much shock? Do your elbow a favor and lose the Estwing.
View Quote
Really? Too heavy for just chopping wood and farting around with at camp? Like I said, I've used their heavy-ass hammers doing roofing one summer and then for survey work for years. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
estwing makes good stuff; I love their hammers.

I don't need one, as I bought a Craftsman hatchet for about $9 20 years ago. That thing takes an edge with a few strokes of a mill file and keeps it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Really? Too heavy for just chopping wood and farting around with at camp? Like I said, I've used their heavy-ass hammers doing roofing one summer and then for survey work for years. Never had a problem.
View Quote
They are good basic hatchets.  Steel isn't the greatest, but its not $200.  Get it nice and sharp, figure out if it suits your needs....and if not, use it to refine your search for one that will.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:49:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They are good basic hatchets.  Steel isn't the greatest, but its not $200.  Get it nice and sharp, figure out if it suits your needs....and if not, use it to refine your search for one that will.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's going to be my first hatchet of many, lol. I need to put a sharper edge on it. Probably do it this weekend.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top