Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2017 7:46:25 PM EDT
Yeah, I know I need to stop being poor  If you had to with just $ 100 what would you get?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Esee-3:  https://eseeknives.com/knives/esee-knives/esee-3/

Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
SRK
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SRK
View Quote

I had thought about the SRK or  BK7...
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Any of the Esee stuff really.

Or look at the TOPS/Buck Nighthawk.  Probably would fit the bill.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an RC-4 but it's more of a bushcraft/outdoors knife and not so tactical.

I think you're going to want to look at Cold Steel if you're looking for tactical and <$100
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing wrong with the OKC3S It's Tactical
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 12:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
A lot of those are not under $100. Start by telling us what length blade you want, and intended purpose, field, fighting, or general purpose. 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:27:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Esee 4 is an awesome knife. I have a 3 and the 4 is a touch thicker as well as longer. Also the scales have liners that make the handle feel better to me.

You could find a couple Benchmade fixed blades in your price range too.

If you scour the EE you'll find a ton of nice secondhand knives in your range- but your credit/ debit card will eventually hate you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#9]
To what end?

for every day carry I love my CRKT Obake.
https://www.crkt.com/obake.html

Fighting knife
https://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/30
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#10]
FPNI

ESEE knives are really hard to beat at that price point.

Scrap Yard 411 is another good option for $100, but doesn't include a sheath.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:10:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A lot of those are not under $100. Start by telling us what length blade you want, and intended purpose, field, fighting, or general purpose. 
View Quote

Looking for 6" to 7" blade. General purpose/ possible fighter,
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://tonkatech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/bayo.jp
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://tonkatech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/bayo.jp
Is $120 too expensive? If it isn't this is on my short list.

Ontario
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:46:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

The Recon Tanto is one of the first knives I ever bought in the mid 90s.  That was before I got a computer and would only have catalogs to go by.  Mine is a 'factory second' and I think I paid $30/$40 for it.

But for a tiny bubble, or two, on the coating, I couldn't tell what was/is wrong with it.  The handle at the end has a '2' stamped on it, however.

It's Carbon V and USA made and it's a beefy knife.  Mine came with the crappy cardboard/nylon sheath, so that's not good, but it would and still does, shave hair.

Chris
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Midway still has one of these left at $88.  I was pleasantly surprised by this knife.
I can't even get the damn url to past direct here....

go to midwayusa and search cold steel ak47

Link Posted: 3/3/2017 9:02:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looking for 6" to 7" blade. General purpose/ possible fighter,
View Quote

Have you looked at the KaBar EK line? They have a double edged and a Bowie profile. Gonna be a tough blade, a little more tactical than and Esee 3 or 4
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Midway still has one of these left at $88.  I was pleasantly surprised by this knife.
I can't even get the damn url to past direct here....

go to midwayusa and search cold steel ak47

https://www.knivesplus.com/media/CS-14AKVG.jpg
View Quote

Looks like I missed this one. Back to $169 now.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I did find a good deal on a Steel Will Chieftain. Reviews look good. Anyone have one?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I did find a good deal on a Steel Will Chieftain. Reviews look good. Anyone have one?
View Quote

Check out the Ontario RAT-7, Ontario SP1, or Kabar fighting knife if you want a 7 inch blade.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Check out:

ESEE
Becker (made by ka-bar, but full tang)
TOPS (they seem to have a good following but I tend to think their designs are a little......out there.  I could be wrong).
Ontario
Cold Steel SRK

The ESEE and Beckers will likely have the best treated steel.  The kabar's steel is going to be a bit "toothier" than the ESEE.  

The ESEE knives will have the most useful sheaths, in my experience.  I'd have to re-shape the handles though, I've been spoiled by better shaped handles on Busse and Swamprat.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fighting knife
https://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/30
View Quote
This is what I would go with.    Shop around and you can get them for 65.00.   I have more expensive knives but they aren't better than this one.   There are a number of blade designs and there are alternative sheaths as well.  

Let us know what you choose.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Cold Steel SRK - If you can stretch your budget another $25, you can get it in 3V.
KaBar Short - $55 - I find a 4" to 6" blade more useful, but you may prefer the full size 7" KaBar.
EK45 made by KaBar
Terävä Jääkäripuukko 140 - $65 with sheath and shipping - This is the last knife I bought, arrived from Finland in less than 2 weeks.

Kind of depends on what you want to use it for. Food prep, fire building, light utility are my most likely uses. How important is corrosion resistance to you? Some applications need it and there are some good options.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SRK

Ever look at the SRK and the Fallkniven A1 next to each other? Surprised there's no lawsuit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Nearly forgot to mention that the ESEE 5 and 6 can be had for less than a hundred if you order it without the sheath from knife works. 
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Check out:

ESEE
Becker (made by ka-bar, but full tang)
TOPS (they seem to have a good following but I tend to think their designs are a little......out there.  I could be wrong).
Ontario
Cold Steel SRK

The ESEE and Beckers will likely have the best treated steel.  The kabar's steel is going to be a bit "toothier" than the ESEE.  

The ESEE knives will have the most useful sheaths, in my experience.  I'd have to re-shape the handles though, I've been spoiled by better shaped handles on Busse and Swamprat.
View Quote
I've recently being doing some comparisons between the knives I make and ESEE and SRK.  The ESEE 4 holds an edge very well and sharpens up easily with a ceramic.  For a production knife, they got the heat treatment down pat. The SRK is a good buy as well, I own two in the Carbon V models.

Cutting nails with mine after snapping the blade to check grain size.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Interesting, the OP asks about a "tactical" blade but we wind up discussing smaller camp and woodsmens knives.

Tactical would be, like, the Benchmade SOCP dagger. This is how a one word description fails to do the question justice, and why we ask "what's it gonna do?" Same as for a firearm, range and target are all important.

I will leave it to others whether a four inch Mora is the better choice over a 7" ESEE.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Interesting, the OP asks about a "tactical" blade but we wind up discussing smaller camp and woodsmens knives.

Tactical would be, like, the Benchmade SOCP dagger. This is how a one word description fails to do the question justice, and why we ask "what's it gonna do?" Same as for a firearm, range and target are all important.

I will leave it to others whether a four inch Mora is the better choice over a 7" ESEE.
View Quote
The added words of "tactical" or "combat" often denote something cheap or an added $50-100 for marketing purposes.

Definitions are all over the place, so I don't even know what "tactical" is anymore.  When deployed, a blade the size of the ESEE 4 was about perfect.  In fact, as much as I love large bladed knives, anything with a blade over 6" becomes too cumbersome to carry in combat or in the woods on your body.  Knives should be a cutting tool first, offer a secure and comfortable grip, include a quality/secure sheath, be relatively easy to sharpen and maintain in the field and my preference is for a full-tang just for those unpredictable non-knife needs that always seem to pop up when you don't have the right tool for the job.  Some call that a planning failure; I call it life with Mr. Murphy.

Survival Knives 4-6" blades under $100

Various Combat-Style knife, 4-6" blades under $100

You can change the parameters, but a good starting point to just see what's available and then follow up with searching for reviews.

You'll find the best value with less expensive carbon steel blades such as 1095, A2, O1, etc. as long as heat-treatment is from a reputable company...these knives are far more forgiving but do require more attention maintenance wise.  Any modern knife sold by a major company will do...the only decision you need is what appeals to you.  Even the Chinese manufactured (or other foreign-made blades) will be fine if the company has as good reputation (Schrade, CRKT, Kershaw, etc.).  There are so many choices under $100 with adequate reviews you could take weeks to sift through what appeals to you the most.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#29]
The Glock 81 knife works for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
ESEE makes a 7 now?!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I just got an Ontario SP1 and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:55:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Becker BK-7, BK-2 or BK-10. Any of those are $85
ESEE Knives are great too, but more money. For that extra money you get a kick ass sheath and Micarta handles.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Benchmade SOCP is one of my favorites.
For $90 you get the blade and the sheath.
For $120 you get the blade, a sheath, as well as a trainer..
I opted for the blade and trainer combo.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:57:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SRK

The SRK is a fine blade for the money.  The BK7 is good, but too wide for my preference.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Esee-3:  https://eseeknives.com/knives/esee-knives/esee-3/

https://eseeknives.com/dev2/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ESEE-3.png
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Becker BK-7, BK-2 or BK-10. Any of those are $85
ESEE Knives are great too, but more money. For that extra money you get a kick ass sheath and Micarta handles.
View Quote
And the famous no questions asked warranty. If it seems like too much money, break one, and get a new one.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top