Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2017 12:01:09 AM EDT
Knives have recently got my attention.  A month ago I couldn't tell you what a Spyderco or Benchmade was.  I spend a lot of time at gun ranges setting up shooting stages, so a knife comes in handy at times.  Like most things I get into, I do a lot of research once I get interested.  Even a $30 purchase I like to feel I'm getting something good.  My first dabble into knives have been budget entrees (sub $50) and I've been very happy with each one as far as bang for the buck, look, feel and quality at price point.  These have been my purchases so far.
- Spyderco Byrd Raven 2
- Ontario Rat 2
- Ontario Rat 1 (I thought the Rat 2 was a great knife for the price and the Rat 1 was bigger and cheaper so I couldn't pass!)
- On my next list is a Spyderco Delica 4 in blue (will probably give it to my wife)

I've been looking around for a "nice" knife in the $75-$150 range.  I'm into fold-up EDC types.  I've looked a lot at the Paramilitary 2 (and 3), Manix 2 (I don't know about the lightweight and would prefer the milled liner model), Cold Steel mini Recon 1, Cold Steel American Lawman, although the Benchmade Griptilians are quality, they don't appeal to me as much, but maybe there is another Benchmade model I should check out.  It seems like each day I discover something new and interesting.

You guys that have handled many of these most popular knives in this price range, what do you think I should consider?  At that price point, I'd want something with quality steel, not likely to rust and very strong.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#1]
My last four knives, 3 of which my GF gave me, have been:

Delica 4 in ZDP-189

PM II in S110v

EnZo Birk 75 in D2 with carbon fiber scales and scandi grind.

Esee Izula in venom green with kit.

While it was more money at the time, the PM II in S110v can be hand right at the $150 mark.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Paramilitary 2 gets my vote.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Well my biased opinion is buy a Relentless knife.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Take the best, always!

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Spyderco just released the Para 3. Almost edc perfection IMO, the only thing I don't like is the lanyard hole position as it hinders tip up carry even with a deep carry clip.

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The Manix 2 is a great feeling knife in the hand but is a bit wide in the pocket, to me.

Tough to me means a Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1 or 2 or a Zero Tolerance (love my 0350 in M390).
The Gayle Bradley is not stainless and requires some attention but it is the toughest blade I have in your price range.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tough to me means a Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1 or 2 or a Zero Tolerance (love my 0350 in M390).
The Gayle Bradley is not stainless and requires some attention but it is the toughest blade I have in your price range.
View Quote

I went ahead and got the Cold Steel American Lawman with OD green handle for $86.  It looked like a tough knife and lite/compact for easy carry.  Something I wouldn't mind putting to work and a good value at the price.  I hadn't looked at the Gayle Bradley, but will start looking at reviews, it looks like a good one.  PM2/3, at some point I think I'll have to own one.  If you guys think of anything else I should consider, let me know.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone has preferences in knives that may not match up to anothers desires.
No one can tell you what you want or need.

You seem like a smart guy, and like you I do lots of research before making purchases.

My preference is a Spyderco PM2 (even over the new Para 3)
I am happy with CPM S30V and would pick up a CPM S110V PM2 if I could get it in another color besides blue-purple.

I suggest you decide what type of cutting/slicing you want to do with the knife.
Do you want a hard use chopper, a light use slicer or some compromise of the two?
Do you value edge retention and ultimate sharpness, or toughness in a blade steel?

Here is a little reading to get you started in your research. On page 2 Phil Wilson has two replies that will shed some light on what types of questions you may ask yourself and what to look for in a blade steel.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/634089-S125V-vs-S110V-vs-S90V-vs-S30V/page2?s=bbc41921aef9f3695287a8b16ea93826
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#9]
In addition to what I mentioned above regarding blade steel you want to look at blade shape, thickness, grind and angle of edge sharpening you want.
Look at the handle material shape and size.
Consider the lock type. I've been spoiled with one handed axis lock from Benchmade and the compression lock from Spyderco which I prefer over the axis lock.
Consider weight, closed size and thickness for EDC carry.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
An article that may help:

http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2013/03/ask-a-knifemaker-the-truth-about-blade-steels/
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My preference is a Spyderco PM2 (even over the new Para 3)
I am happy with CPM S30V and would pick up a CPM S110V PM2 if I could get it in another color besides blue-purple.
View Quote

I have the S110v (love the cobalt blue scales,) but I really want a standard PM II satin S30v digital camo jobbie to go with the above.  The M4 in natural G10 is another I'm tracking, but it's a bit spendier.  

Then there's the Native 5 in S110v, to go with its bigger brother!

I've EDCed a SwissChamp for 3+ years, so these knives are mostly for my amusement.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I want a paramilitary 2 with Benchmade's axis lock.

The lock mechanism on the axis lock is really solid yet smooth and light. But that spyderco hole and full flat grind is so sexy. Can't go wrong with any of the big three... spyderco, Zero Tolerance, or benchmade. All have options in your price range.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:18:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:02:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the Benchmade barrage or mini barrage, which is in your price range.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]
paramilitary 2 for a folder

busse for fixed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Last weekend I picked up a Benchmade 940-2.  I came very close to getting the new mini Gripilian with the grey handle and spyderco-like hole.  I preferred the 940-2 because of the longer grip and blade.  I guess I'd consider it my lite, gentleman EDC.  Let me tell you, I really like this knife and could see carrying it a lot when I'm running around town.  Something I can wip out to cut open something or slice an apple without having someone call 911.  :)  In the future, I'd like to get a ZT 0566 (0770cf looks interesting too), PM2 and a Delica.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Endura
Delica (look at the new Wharncliffe version)
Pacific Salt
Dragonfly Salt

All of these are great and can be had under $80. If you get a Salt get Serrated.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Zero Tolerance zt350. I've seen it on sale a lot lately for under $100.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#19]
All things considered, the Spyderco Para 2 is the best knife you can buy.  I'm sure there are some random things you might not like about it or whatever, but if you get it and actually play around with it you'll see what i'm talking about.  The good thing about knives though, you can get almost all if not all of your money back.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top