Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2016 7:17:11 AM EDT
My nephew has been in ROTC and will be graduating college soon. He's already spent his summer training at Fort Knox instead of regular basic training. I want to buy him a combat fixed blade fighting knife for graduation. I need some suggestions for a knife that will survive combat if he ever has to go. Like to keep the price under $400 but can/will spend more if you convince me. If there is a folding knife that you think has more merit let me know.
Thanks for the help

dmtsc
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
To be honest, while not custom, I really like these: Gerber Strongarm or these.. BTW, if you know someone that has BX access they're about 50% less in clothing sales.

They're well made and don't cost and arm and a leg. In other words he'll use it.  99.99% of the time a knife for a warfighter is for opening shit, cutting shit, prying shit, etc.. killing people with knives is extremely rare. I know of guys who've done it...Somalia, in the house to house fighting, had some knife kills but it's rare. Get him a good tool for daily use and not too heavy. A 1lb knife could be another 30 rd mag.

If you're heart's set on a custom knife I can sell you my Brend #2 for $3k...
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd look into a Carter Cutlery FS-1, or a Carothers Combat Shiv (not produced in any great numbers).

Can never go wrong with a Busse.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can never go wrong with a Busse.
View Quote

^This

Swamp Rat (Busse's sister company) makes great knives as well if you want something a little more affordable
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
ESEE - Great carbon steel knives with a lifetime warranty (no questions asked)

Randall - if you want something that is a classy, but still very functional.  My father and I had a custom randall made for my brother-in-law before his first Iraq deployment in 2006/7.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My nephew has been in ROTC and will be graduating college soon. He's already spent his summer training at Fort Knox instead of regular basic training. I want to buy him a combat fixed blade fighting knife for graduation. I need some suggestions for a knife that will survive combat if he ever has to go. Like to keep the price under $400 but can/will spend more if you convince me. If there is a folding knife that you think has more merit let me know.
Thanks for the help

dmtsc
View Quote

Why a fighting knife and not a utility knife?

I'd go with several not super expensive knives so he can lose or trade them periodically. CRKT or Kershaw or something. Check Woot for sales. I think ESEEs have been going cheap on Amazon lately.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
You can get a Chris Reeve Pacific for $325, that would make a very nice and fitting gift. Take a look at them at Blade HQ or a few other places.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Bark River Bravo1
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Esee Junglas for $160.

Esee 4 for $110.

Spyderco PM II in S110v for $140.

He's got his bases covered for just about any situation, save for cutting cord wood.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out Half Face Blades.  The guys a retired SEAL and his knives are some of the best looking knives I've ever seen IMO.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out Half Face Blades.  The guys a retired SEAL and his knives are some of the best looking knives I've ever seen IMO.
View Quote

It's also a long waitlist I just received my notification they're ready, 10mos later.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can get a Chris Reeve Pacific for $325, that would make a very nice and fitting gift. Take a look at them at Blade HQ or a few other places.
View Quote

Or Chris Reeve Green Beret
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Ek.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's also a long waitlist I just received my notification they're ready, 10mos later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their website is live now, and they have knives from time to time. Was yours a custom order?
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Their website is live now, and they have knives from time to time. Was yours a custom order?
View Quote

Yes sir, getting a 'Crow Scout Jr'

Said it should be about a month once paid before knife is in hand.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a black esee 4 with a sharpened spine that is in great shape. It is an excellent knife, and would fill a defensive/ fighting role beautifully.

The warranty is second to none. I carry mine occasionally when I am drinking and therefore cannot legally carry a gun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

^This

Swamp Rat (Busse's sister company) makes great knives as well if you want something a little more affordable
View Quote

Or look at ScrapYard Knives for a little more savings.  

Wait time for any Busskin knive can be long.  Aftermarket  will be faster but more expensive
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Esee will replace it no questions asked. Doesn't matter if he snaps the blade trying to pry something, etc.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#19]
TOPS US Combat Knife

Edit-new forum seems to be harder to post pics from phone?  Great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Your intent is wonderful and I appreciate the reason behind the gift.

The knife, however, won't be carried in the field or used. Very few in the Armed Forces do. The reality is that loaded out with 85 pounds of gear, a battle rifle, possibly an auto pistol, communications gear, etc etc, the addition of another 16 oz of war material gets intense scrutiny.

I did that - carried either a Glock "trench" knife or a Gerber Mk II in Officer Basic, there were maybe a dozen others in our class of 100, and for the most part they were useless. If we needed a weapon we were already lugging around an M16 and plenty of ammo which weighed us down. If we needed a big blade we had the e-tool which is sharpened on one edge. I was in Infantry, in discussion with others who weren't combat arms, they spent as little as two days in the field. Mine was 85% in the field. Depending on the Branch he accepts he may be overdressed with a 4" lockback.

A "combat knife" for graduation is a largely ceremonial gift with little current application to the actual needs of a field soldier - and most do not actually live in the "field." They run things in a "green zone" behind wire with their weapons racked at their work area. It's the combat arms guys who go into unfriendly territory and for the most part if that is his job he will be assisting the platoon sergeant in directing troops to engage the enemy while communicating on the radio.

I pretty much sold off my Gerbers, Randalls, Swamp Rats, and other "commie killer" knives over the last ten years simply because they didn't do anything except appreciate in value - because they were largely unused and the popularity immensely exceeds their value as a combat weapon. I now rely on more utilitarian blades for the most part, simple clipped locking liner knives in the $50-100 price range which I can afford to misplace and replace where ever decent knives are sold. Losing a $400 knife would be intense - i misplaced my Strider SnG for a month and vowed never again to buy another expensive knife. They are nice - but a $250 knife is not 5 times better than a $50 knife in any respect other than resale.

Better a six blade Swiss Army with scissors and woodsaw, a quality multiplier from Leatherman, and a 4" clipped liner lock. You get a lot more usefulness from that triple threat combination. And these days, none of them are even needed to open up an MRE. Tools are much more rarely required for a soldiers personal upkeep.

Except those scissors. They come in really handy and you are not likely to give yourself a 5 stitch injury with permanent nerve damage. Don't ask how I know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]
busse badger attack

busse team gemini light brigade mini

my top 2 choices for 5 - 6 inch blades

badger can be had for around 400, TGLB-M is a little more but worth it imo.

or the son of badger SOB for around $350.

another good option is the swamp rat ratmandu for $180 ish
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I would say go with a fixed blade but nothing large. We had a safety brief from our Battalion XO coming into Afghanistan and he said "big ass knives are a no-go"! I tend to agree.

Having carried all sorts and sizes of knives overseas and at home I find a fixed blade of around 7 1/2" - 8 1/2" in total length with a 3-4" blade and thickness of 3/16" is just about right.

If he needs something to pry doors open then someone in his Platoon should be carrying a sledge or a halligan tool. Enlisted men pry doors open, not the officers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Get him two spydercos or benchmades. He will beat them to death and probably lose one. Utility knives will get much more daily use than a fixed blade.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you get him he will appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your intent is wonderful and I appreciate the reason behind the gift.

A "combat knife" for graduation is a largely ceremonial gift with little current application to the actual needs of a field soldier - and most do not actually live in the "field." They run things in a "green zone" behind wire with their weapons racked at their work area. It's the combat arms guys who go into unfriendly territory and for the most part if that is his job he will be assisting the platoon sergeant in directing troops to engage the enemy while communicating on the radio.

Better a six blade Swiss Army with scissors and woodsaw, a quality multiplier from Leatherman, and a 4" clipped liner lock. You get a lot more usefulness from that triple threat combination. And these days, none of them are even needed to open up an MRE. Tools are much more rarely required for a soldiers personal upkeep.

Except those scissors. They come in really handy and you are not likely to give yourself a 5 stitch injury with permanent nerve damage. Don't ask how I know.
View Quote

This.

A mid sized multi tool and either assisted or auto knife is all he'll really use. I've lost so many knives it makes you want to cry, so kept extras in my locker.

That said, the ESSE 4 or Benchmade Infidel would be nice gifts.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Have carried all kinds of knives in the field, and used them for a variety of knifey tasks, and have finally settled on the following combo pack:

ESEE-4
SOG PowerPlier
Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker

With these three knives, I can do literally everything I need to do in the field except shanking commies, but I have a squad of machinegunners for that, anyhow.

EDIT: All of the above being said, a Chris Reeve Green Beret or Pacific would be an awesome gift for any military guy, even if all it ever did was sit in a case.

Whatever you decide, I am sure he will appreciate it!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top