Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2016 8:12:23 AM EDT
I am looking for an EDC knife that is a little classier and lower profile.  I have a leek and I like it but want something different.

I have been carrying a blur but its a little big for what I want.

I really like the Boker Urban Trapper:
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO01BO734/boker-plus-brad-zinker-urban-trapper-folding-knife-vg10-satin-plain-blade-cocobolo-wood-handles

Are there any other knives similar to the Urban Trapper you guys would suggest?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I actually don't like the look of that blue titanium.  Just not for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I think my definition of gentleman's knife might be off.  KnifeCenter has a whole section of those knives and the majority have pearl handles.  

I am looking for something not-tactical, a simple tasteful handle, probably wood and something I can carry deep in the pocket and also have room for something else in the pocket.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you think of the stockman style? All the old guys gentlemen I've ever meet carried one. Case seems to be the standard for that style.

link
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up on Boker.

I like the stockman style except I have grown to like a good deep pocket clip.  I don't want anything to be loose in the pocket.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you think of the stockman style? All the old guys gentlemen I've ever meet carried one. Case seems to be the standard for that style.

link
View Quote

They are great knives and you can get them scary sharp.  Definitely fall into the category of a "gentleman's" knife, rather than a SHTF type knife.  
The blades are somewhat prone to pitting, though, in my experience.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am looking for an EDC knife that is a little classier and lower profile.  I have a leek and I like it but want something different.

http://www.knifecenter.com/item/BO01BO734/boker-plus-brad-zinker-urban-trapper-folding-knife-vg10-satin-plain-blade-cocobolo-wood-handles

View Quote

Before you decide, watch this YouTube review...  the good, the bad, and the ugly...
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Kershaw leek
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Before you decide, watch this YouTube review...  the good, the bad, and the ugly...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have that knife and I would say he's accurate. I do like the knife
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Haha, I do like the Leek.  Don't get me wrong, its carried more than anything else until I bent the tip trying to get a stuck quarter out of a gas station air pump coin slot.  I keep meaning to try to hammer it out and if it doesn't straighten up sending it back to Kershaw for a new blade.

thanks for the feedback, glad to hear from someone who actually owns one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Budget?  

If money is no (or little) object, I'd recommend a CRK Mnandi, but that may be out of range...
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Price range is 50-125.  That is definitely out of my range. haha  

Thank you for the suggestion.  Again, I am not into the pearl look or bright colors.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Well, I didn't buy it but my "wish list" did get a little bigger  

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#16]
For me it is a Buck Vantage Pro in S30v and G10 or Vantage Avid in 13c26 and Dymond wood.

They have a flat profile that carries well almost like its not there. The deep pocket clip is great or can be taken off. The blade opens very smooth and has a small flipper if you want to use it. The whole thing has nice lines and is well built and not scary or tactical looking.

They come in large and small.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Gayle Bradley Air

Excellent steel (CPM-M4), Ti liners, classy looking silver twill  and wonderful action.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#18]
EnZo Birk 75?

I got the Scandi grind, D2 tool steel, with carbon fiber scales last Christmas, for about $95 on sale with KnifeCountry USA.  Figure $100-$115 for that model.  

You can get them in FFG, or Scandi, S30v, or D2, G10, curly birch, green micarta and carbon fiber, so you have some options.

It might be a tad thicker than some, but it's a well implemented design that qualifies as a 'gentleman's knife,' IMO.

Good luck!

Chris
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#19]
How about a traditional slipjoint pocket knife?

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#20]
ZT 0450

Might be a bit over your price range, i've been very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ZT 0450

Might be a bit over your price range, i've been very happy with mine.
View Quote

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Boker is trash IMO.

View Quote

This is a shame, I think they make some attractive knife designs, if only the quality was there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:15:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Gift from my late aunt - very nice nice

http://www.buckknives.com/product/505-knight-knife/0505RWS-B/
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#25]

and this clipped to my keyring

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#26]
i'll disagree with those who say boker is trash.  i only have one, but the build quality is quite nice.

this might be a little different, but it's within your range, and what i would consider classy-ish and low profile:

boker mini kwaiken

somewhat similar profile to the urban trapper; perhaps a little more "tactical."
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe a Spyderco Sage carbon fiber
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is a shame, I think they make some attractive knife designs, if only the quality was there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boker is trash IMO.

Agreed!

It's almost like they make decorative knives.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#29]
I carry the Benchmade Emissary in a business casual environment.

The pocket clip comes off the top of the knife so it is nice and discrete.  They aren't cheap but if you shop around you can find a deal and you will be getting benchmade quality.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#30]
For a gentlemen's EDC, I'd recommend the Zero Tolerance 0770cf.  It's pretty much the perfect gentleman's EDC.  3.25" stonewashed Elmax blade, incredibly thin machined carbon fiber handle, titanium lock, and it only weighs 3oz.  It's slightly out of your budget at $180, but it's worth stretching the budget in my opinion.

Also, ZT does offer it with a titanium handle.  It's .7 oz heavier and not as classy looking, but it is $20 cheaper and still an excellent knife.

And if your budget is too strict for either of those, I'd go with the Spyderco Sage 5.  Not as nice and classy as the ZT 0770cf, but still and excellent knife and priced at $130.

My ZT 0770cf:

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
i'll disagree with those who say boker is trash.  i only have one, but the build quality is quite nice.

this might be a little different, but it's within your range, and what i would consider classy-ish and low profile:

boker mini kwaiken

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/knives/manual-knives/boker-manual/boker-plus-folding/boker-plus-mini-kwaiken-flipper-cm.jpg

somewhat similar profile to the urban trapper; perhaps a little more "tactical."
View Quote

I've wanted to buy one for a while, quality is what's keeping me away
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

boker mini kwaiken

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/knives/manual-knives/boker-manual/boker-plus-folding/boker-plus-mini-kwaiken-flipper-cm.jpg

Boker doesn't have any of that stuff.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Holy shit I'm in love!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah I really like the benchmade as well.  It looks still a little beefier than I want though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yeah I really like the benchmade as well.  It looks still a little beefier than I want though.
View Quote

It's super hard to get a feel for them over the interwebs.

I'd suggest a bass pro shops or cabelas or something to get a feel for what you want.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I carry the Benchmade Emissary in a business casual environment.

The pocket clip comes off the top of the knife so it is nice and discrete.  They aren't cheap but if you shop around you can find a deal and you will be getting benchmade quality.
View Quote

I have an Emissary that I carry when dressed business casual or nicer.

It is a good size for more discreet carry and doesn't look too "tactical".
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I looked through the user pics posted on Amazon and the blade looks a little long.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

The emissary and new Amicus are pretty thin and light.

Both are assisted so kinda loud.

Benchmade has the Valet which is a nice little gentleman's folder with an axis lock and incredible steel(M390)

Bottom knife
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Umfaan (Chris Reeve)
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For a gentlemen's EDC, I'd recommend the Zero Tolerance 0770cf.  It's pretty much the perfect gentleman's EDC.  3.25" stonewashed Elmax blade, incredibly thin machined carbon fiber handle, titanium lock, and it only weighs 3oz.  It's slightly out of your budget at $180, but it's worth stretching the budget in my opinion.

Also, ZT does offer it with a titanium handle.  It's .7 oz heavier and not as classy looking, but it is $20 cheaper and still an excellent knife.

And if your budget is too strict for either of those, I'd go with the Spyderco Sage 5.  Not as nice and classy as the ZT 0770cf, but still and excellent knife and priced at $130.

My ZT 0770cf:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/paulvolk/20160924_155944_zpsbv50lrms.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i17/paulvolk/20160924_155936_zpshjbbnrfq.jpg
View Quote

A second on this knife, I have it and carry it everyday.

Light as a feather and ZT tough.  Love this knife
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Benchmade has the Valet which is a nice little gentleman's folder with an axis lock and incredible steel(M390)

Bottom knife
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/thisstupidgamedrivesmenuts_zpsalgts1n3.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bottom knife
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/thisstupidgamedrivesmenuts_zpsalgts1n3.jpg

I looked hard at the amicus etc. recently.

Add to that the classic version of the 940 - the green AL handle and reverse tanto make it non-intimidating to a degree. Medium size light knife with axis lock.
(emissary on top, 940 on bottom)

Within budget the Manix 2 with the blurple scales and s110v, or the lightweight blue one (s110v) or just a full house Delica 4 in green with the ZPM-189 are all relatively unassuming.

As Star knows I'm waiting on a Loinsteel TRE, which can be had @$165 for the g10 ones. Ti integral lock and M390 steel

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

boker mini kwaiken

my fullsize CF kwaiken has plenty of it.  

my g/f's emissary, which gets heavy use, has a hell of a lot more blade play than my boker.  the only knock i have against my boker is that they really should have put some jimping on the flipper.  otherwise it's a really nice knife.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:41:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Benchmade CLA is quite classy looking. And an auto knife: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=benchmade%20cla&

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:57:52 AM EDT
[#44]
CRKT Heiho

CRKT M16

Kershaw Skyline  Rides high, classy, lots of flavors

Cold Steel Hold Out

Mcusta Gentleman  Low ride, classy, lots of flavors
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#45]

I had a silver deep carry clip on my Griptilian. Swapped the carry clips, and with the silver clip, I think it looks even classier. Plus, it's nice to have a black clip on my Grip since it has a black blade.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#48]
My vote is for a Benchmade 940 or if you want something a little smaller the 707.  I have both and really like them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My vote is for a Benchmade 940 or if you want something a little smaller the 707.  I have both and really like them.
View Quote

The 940 is pretty classy.

The 940-1 even moreso
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Southern Grind Bad Monkey for me.

Southern Grind Knife Listing
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top