Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 10/10/2016 5:37:03 AM EDT

I'm not looking for a single DO it all knife, but multiple knives.

What are knife companies, AND knife steels to avoid?

What steel is generally a go to, why are other steels bad. give examples and your experiences with bad knives and steels.

1. What would you use for general purpose and why?
2. What is a good EDC knife.
3. General purpose work, would this mean like a large fixed blade, can also be used for skinning?
4. What knife designs are unanimously gimmicks, like something you'd see in a video game.
5. What is a good fighting knife. a dagger like a Gerber MK2 .CRKT Sangrador?

what are companies and steels to avoid?

I own various CRKT knives, mostly the M16 series, one americanized tanto blade. the rest are normal with serrations.
I prefer the Veff serrations ALOT better than the little tri-tooth ones that are hard to sharpen.

I have a schrade that was given to my by my girlfriend as a gift, its an SCHF14. but the blade had a fracture in a weird way where itteh steel is peelign away from the knife.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#1]
1. For general purpose a knife you have is better than a knife in a drawer.  So a light folder is what I carry 99% of the time.  Sebenza, Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw...doesn't matter much.

2. Spyderco PM II

3.  Large fixed blades aren't as good for skinning as a 3.5" blade.  You can use a longer blade, but then you don't have the fine control.  Scalpels aren't generally 12" long (and yes I know there are long handled scalpels).

4. Those Wolverine claw knives and Nightmare on Elm Street Freddy fingers seem pretty gimmicky to me.

5. A good fighting knife?  Ka-Bar, Sykes-Fairbain, various bayonets.  Busse Team Gemini cannot be beat for zombies.

As far as steels go, the heat treat is very important.  I sharpen a bunch of kitchen knives for folks from church.  Most of the blades are horribly soft.  They will form a burr after just a couple passes on a 250 grit diamond stone.  This makes them easy to sharpen, but they dull very quickly.  Some Japanese knives (my set of Shuns) are so hard that they chip if you look at them sideways.

For knives that rust, I like 1095, 1084, 52100, 3V, O-1, A-2,  Infi, Hitachi white and blue steel, Sandvik (or whatever is in a Mora), CPM M-4...depending on the heat treat.

For stainless S35VN, 154CM, M390, S90V, Elmax, etc.

Stick with reputable companies or makers with good guarantees, handle the knife before you buy if you can, and then go buy a Murray Carter Neck Knife. Or a Fallkniven F-1.  Or a Mora.  Or a Winkler.  Or a Busse.  Or a Carothers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

1. What would you use for general purpose and why? My Bill Buxton 52100 EDC because it's small enough to be "the knife you have" and big enough to handle most jobs.  I also like the steel, heat treat and blade geometry--all good for an all around knife.
2. What is a good EDC knife. I always have a Spuderco Manbugon my keychain, and usually carry a Leatherman Charge TTI when I'm wearing jeans or engaging in outdoor work or recreation.
3. General purpose work, would this mean like a large fixed blade, can also be used for skinning?  I'd use my Buxton 52100 EDC.
4. What knife designs are unanimously gimmicks, like something you'd see in a video game.  Most saw back "survival knives" with tubular handles.
5. What is a good fighting knife. a dagger like a Gerber MK2 .CRKT Sangrador?  If I were going to go down that road, I'd get a high quality Bowie Knife and the training to use it properly.  

View Quote

My $0.02.  YMMV.  There are lots of strong personal preferences when it comes to knives.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You did a thread on this in GD didn't you?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Spyderco, Emerson and Benchmade make good EDC folders. An ESEE 3 (or 4) or TOPS BOB will make a good GP knife, gimmick knives are usually made from cheap stainless steel and don't cost much. And as far as a combat knife goes that really depends on what kind of training you've had or plan on getting and more often than not the technique is more important than the tool itself.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top