Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2016 8:54:40 PM EDT
......and barring all other opinions of different knives altogether, what would you pick over the other and why?

H&K Benchmade 14430

Kershaw Emerson Launch 5

Both made in the USA, price point is almost the same, about the same size, both have thumb jimping I like...........
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say the HK. I like the D2 steel
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not into automatic knives...  having said that, I think the Emerson is the better choice.  I like the blade steel more, the handle shape more, the handle material more - than the H&K Benchmade.  The only thing I like more on the Benchmade is the blade shape (although the D2 isn't bad).
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of these and it's a slick knife
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Meyerco-18XRay-Automatic--2347

....that's all I got
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm leaning towards the HK...

But....

Then I saw this:  Turmoil

I love OTF's and that's a Benchmade OTF for $200

Now my decision is harder.....and more expensive

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I know that you said "between these two", but ...  Look up Benchmade Mini Auto Presidio 5500 (or the full size 5000).  Has the axis lock design, is very well constructed,  and is the best dang auto folder that I have used on a daily basis.  They are basically auto Griptillians with aluminum scales.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Launch 1 (which is a bit different than the 5) and I'm quite pleased with it.  

I don't think you'll find a tremendous difference in build quality, so it really depends on which steel is better for your use.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:19:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say the HK. I like the D2 steel
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Well thanks for the opinions and advice gents.  I ended up going with the HK.  I don't have anything made by Benchmade already and I wanted to check out the D2 steel.

It's very light and came very sharp though the grind is kinda ugly.  Fit and finish are very nice.  This aint no show piece for sure, but it's put together well.  Brass bushings are nice to see.  The button is pretty "gritty" in that it sort of catches a few times on its way down.  To me, this is a pretty common and annoying aspect of most autos that aren't a kabillion dollars.  Hopefully it will wear in as time goes on.  My only complaint is that the spring seems pretty weak......that said it did jump out of a coworker's hand so maybe that's in the eye of the beholder.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
You chose wisely "Grasshopper"

Thinking I need one.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top