Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2016 7:46:04 PM EDT
Most of my work is folders.  Dressed up users folders.  I do make a few (very few) fixed blades, but I like folders better.  My true passion is carved art knives.  I know this style is probably not the most popular here, but I thought some of you may like to see what goes into one of these knives.  This thread will probably cover a few weeks because I do my knives part time and these take a while to do.  I skipped the actual knife build itself.  If this goes ok and you guys want, I can do a folder build WIP.  
  This is one of my Dragon folders.  The blade is stainless Damascus.  The pattern is called Fireclone.  The frame and spine are titanium.  The handle scales are Damascus.  That pattern is dragon skin.  It will look like scales when etched.  I am doing a layered scale pattern that is deep carved and sculpted.  I will not be etching this one.  It will be colored with my own home brewed blueing solution.  This pattern has a special affinity for colors.

I hand draw the design onto the work piece.

Then I put the knife together to make sure each side connects evenly.

I use a sharpy to see where the low spots are when I clean things up with a file.

I file till all the black is gone.

Everything looks like crap right now...  I just keep fileing till everything looks mostly smooth.

Sometimes I have to go back in with the grinding disk for clean up.

Six hours later this is where I am at...   I will be taking each side to 1200 grit for the blueing.

Here is what I am working with up to this point.

UPDATE 10.8.16

Left side...  I had a bit more clean up on this side.  I always spend more time on one side than the other.

Symmetry...  I have some minor touchups to be more alike.

Here are some of the tools I use for the finer sanding.  Mostly G10 sticks.  A wood dowel.  The one on the left is a modified ban saw blade.

220 grit...

UPDATE 10.19.16
Got a little more done...

Starting to polish through the grits.  320 here.

I am not going to post all the pics going through the grits.  Kind of boring...

One side still from filing, and the other is I think at 600 grit.

Some of the sand paper I go through...

Now I am working on filework on the spine.

UPDATE 11.1.16

Continuing with the filework on the spine.

I have never done this type of file work...  We will see how it goes...

Here is a shot of all the pieces that go into this folder.

Etching my mark on the blade.

Next up I will be prepping the blade for etch.  Anodizing the liners and spine, and heat treating the scales and prepping them for blueing...

UPDATE 11.6.16

Fun with electrified water...  
My home built anodizer.

Just hook up the part and dip.  It changes color in seconds.  The voltage determines the color.  The finish on the part plays a big roll in the color too.

The thumbstuds are Ti also, so they got the dip too.

Its hard to see, but I got a really nice green with some darker low lights on this one.  I will be going back and polishing up some spots for a different color once I see what color I get with the scales.

Blade etching.

After...

Heat treating the scales.

After heat treat and temper.  Now I have to clean up before blueing.

UPDATE 11.23.16

Here it is all finished...  

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I will definitely be following this thread.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice work JK!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:09:34 AM EDT
[#3]
As someone who is handy, I can appreciate the time and effort you've put into that. Looks like a lot of work, but fun. Can't wait to see the end result. Tagged !
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If this goes ok and you guys want, I can do a folder build WIP.  
View Quote

yes plz.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag.  Looking good.  Would like to see the sanding blocks you use to take it to a higher grit.  Do you have a graver too?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
very nice

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a cool thread. I want to get into knife making... it's so damn limitless.

When you're done you should consider raffling it off. Maybe have people send in a Pmag each to get in for your drawing. I'd buy a ticket for a Pmag lol.

Incredible work.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Subscribed!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag.  Looking good.  Would like to see the sanding blocks you use to take it to a higher grit.  Do you have a graver too?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'll take a pic of my sanding sticks/blocks.  I make them out of G10 or carbon fiber.  I do have a graver, but did not use it on this piece.  I have not used it in a while.  I have been thinking of picking up a Lindsay palm graver.  I got to use on last year.  They are amazing.

Quoted:
This is a cool thread. I want to get into knife making... it's so damn limitless.

When you're done you should consider raffling it off. Maybe have people send in a Pmag each to get in for your drawing. I'd buy a ticket for a Pmag lol.

Incredible work.

I would take close to 300 Pmags to pay for this knife...  I have more than I need now...  

I should be able to post a bit more late this week.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Update in OP...
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
That is sick!!! I really wish I had the patience to do that kind of work.

I get sick of just filing a few thumb jimpings I can't imagine doing that type of work by hand.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Update in OP...  
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome work, thank you for posting.  I need to get or make a Magnablock type vice.  That looks handy as hell.

Your post of this has inspired me to try similar handle carving in stabilized wood.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Awesome work, thank you for posting.  I need to get or make a Magnablock type vice.  That looks handy as hell.

Your post of this has inspired me to try similar handle carving in stabilized wood.
View Quote

Yes, the ball vice is awesome.  I use it for a lot of things.   I will be doing some carving on a bronze and wood piece next.  Carbon fiber is good to carve too.  If you have any questions,  don't hesitate to ask.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is one that I did some carving on Zirconium and carbon fiber.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#16]
That's gorgeous!

My biggest question is layout.  Are you laying out by hand?  Or do you make a pattern on paper first?  I can shape things to layout lines symmetrical, but I have a hell of a time drawing them free hand symmetrical. To the point where if I draw layout lines by hand they look wonky to me even if I go back and measure them with dividers or whatever and prove they're symmetrical

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Man, nice work!  I would carry that!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's gorgeous!

My biggest question is layout.  Are you laying out by hand?  Or do you make a pattern on paper first?  I can shape things to layout lines symmetrical, but I have a hell of a time drawing them free hand symmetrical. To the point where if I draw layout lines by hand they look wonky to me even if I go back and measure them with dividers or whatever and prove they're symmetrical
View Quote

I draw directly on the knife.  With all the contours on the scales, a flat drawing would not translate well to the actual knife.  I sketch until I like what I have on one side and then use calipers to even everything out.  I take measurements along multiple points to transfer the lines to the other side.  Sometimes I does not look right, so I keep adjusting till I like it...  Drawing on compound curves is tough.  Also, I have been doing this for almost 10 years.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Update in OP...  
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I would carry one of your knives anyday. Fantastic work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would carry one of your knives anyday. Fantastic work.
View Quote

Thanks...

Update in OP...
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Final update in OP...
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn.  It's gorgeous.  Thank you for taking the time to post the WIP.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#25]
welp. that is impressive! nice work
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Pretty Incredible work.  Most art knives are pointless to me, but that is truly a work of art.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pretty Incredible work.  Most art knives are pointless to me, but that is truly a work of art.
View Quote

I'll second that!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks everyone...
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top