Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2016 1:37:17 PM EDT
Commissioned cedarlore forge to do this quite a long time ago, and now it is finally finished.
Based on the Irish gallowglass sword.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#1]
wow.

not a knife or sword guy but the is ultra cool.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wow.

not a knife or sword guy but the is ultra cool.
View Quote

Concur on both points.

Hopefully, the OP doesn't stab himself with it.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Stunning
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Dare I ask how much?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Beautiful!

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dare I ask how much?
View Quote

It was made by Cedarlore Forge, one of the best out there. Cost me $3800

now clean off your screen from the spit take. Custom designed swords are very expensive, especially from reputable high end makers.
The scabbard alone would cost your $1500-2000 from said makers. Albion being the gold standard of non-customer high end swords typically run $1200-1800.
So overall not bad for a one of a kind.

Heirloom quality. basically just something for me to have. I am not a ren fair type or going around in my backyard to swing with it. I just appreciate quality.
However having said that, I have since setup a metal working shop and can't really bare to pay anyone to make stuff for me anymore as I want to do it all myself.
All future melee weapons would be made in my own forge.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, that's just fucking badass...
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice!!
Everyone will be wishing they had one for zombies when the ammo runs out!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, that is really cool!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Commissioned cedarlore forge to do this quite a long time ago, and now it is finally finished.
Based on the Irish gallowglass sword.

http://i63.tinypic.com/70ueck.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/wso6s3.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/mt3rip.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2w4iw61.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#11]
That is amazing. It belongs on a wall to be showcased for sure... then run through the gut of the first guy stupid enough to break into your house.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Sick.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#14]
That is sweet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:57:47 PM EDT
[#15]
That is very, very cool.  My eyes widened a bit at the price, but no spit takes.  The obvious quality and attention to detail make the price not too surprising.  

I really like the scabbard.  The copper fittings and green really complement the whole package.  I want more pictures.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Not really a sword guy...but it looks nice.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks great. What does it say in the blood groove? I can't quite make it out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:41:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Very cool, but needs something else in photo for a size reference.

How long is the blade, and total length?

Txl

ETA, for that price, it is a +5 vorpal weapon, right?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#19]
BRD is par wih edged weapon disease...

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#20]
That's sweet! I like it all, but the pommel takes the cake. I'm assuming it's the tang running through it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Gorgeous.  And I have no problem with the cost.  I know what a laborious task it is to make something like that.

If it were mine, I'd rent a kilt and wear it to a Highland Games some day.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Gorgeous.  And I have no problem with the cost.  I know what a laborious task it is to make something like that.

View Quote

I thought kilts and the Highland Games were a Scottish thing. The sword is Irish.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#23]
That is awesome.

How much does the sword (without the scabbard) weigh?

What type of steel was used for the blade?

How sharp was the edge when you received it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#24]
You'll poke your eye out.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh man I would have to take that with me hog hunting and stick a pig with it.  Gotta get some blood on it!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Beautiful!  Is it razor sharp, or do they keep them a little sharp / a little dull?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I thought kilts and the Highland Games were a Scottish thing. The sword is Irish.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes its scotts- irish, inspired by the swords the Gallowglass mercenaries were known to carry.

"The gallowglasses (also spelt galloglass, gallowglas or galloglas; from Irish: gall óglaigh meaning foreign warriors) were a class of elite mercenary warriors who were principally members of the Norse-Gaelic clans of Scotland between the mid 13th century and late 16th century. As Scots, they were Gaels and shared a common background and language with the Irish, but as they had intermarried with the 10th century Norse settlers of western Scotland, the Irish called them Gall Gaeil ("foreign Gaels").

Large numbers of gallowglass septs settled in Ireland after being dispossessed of their lands in Scotland for choosing the wrong sides in the Wars of Scottish Independence. The first and probably most famous of these were the MacSweeneys, settled by the O’Donnells in north Donegal. These were followed by MacDonnells, MacCabes and several other groups settled by powerful Irish nobles in different areas. The gallowglasses were attractive as a heavily armoured, trained aristocratic infantry to be relied upon as a strong defence for holding a position, unlike most Irish foot soldiers, who were lower class and less well armoured than the typical Irish noble who fought as cavalry. In time there came to be many native Irish gallowglasses as the term came to mean a type of warrior rather than an ethnic designation.

They were a significant part of Irish infantry before the advent of gunpowder, and depended upon seasonal service with Irish chieftains. A military leader would often choose a gallowglass to serve as his personal aide and bodyguard because, as a foreigner, the gallowglass would be less subject to local feuds and influences."
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks great. What does it say in the blood groove? I can't quite make it out.
View Quote

Its called a fuller, there is not such thing as blood grooves. Makes the blade lighter without sacrificing strength.

The inscription is a Latin Proverb.  

Qui non proficit deficit.

He who does not progress, regresses.
He who does not advance, go backwards

Thought it was a good motto for a gallowglass. If you are not advancing on the battlefield you are retreating.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

now clean off your screen from the spit take. Custom designed swords are very expensive, especially from reputable high end makers.
The scabbard alone would cost your $1500-2000 from said makers. Albion being the gold standard of non-customer high end swords typically run $1200-1800.

Heirloom quality. basically just something for me to have. I am not a ren fair type or going around in my backyard to swing with it. I just appreciate quality.
However having said that, I have since setup a metal working shop and can't really bare to pay anyone to make stuff for me anymore as I want to do it all myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dare I ask how much?

I was expecting much more to be honest.

+/- $4k for something like that is well worth the cost of admission.

Shit how many forged swords are around these days.

Off to watch youtube vids of sword forgings.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dare I ask how much?

Right. Most Templ swords start at $3500 pounds (bout 5000).

I am really hoping I dont have to get a new vehicle if that is what the mechanic says, cause then I would have to sell this guy as soon as I got it
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#31]
How long is it?

Txl
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 11:27:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How long is it?

Txl
View Quote

Blade length: 37.375"
Blade Width: 1.6925"
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gallowglas

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice sword. Beautiful and cool.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Beautiful!  Is it razor sharp, or do they keep them a little sharp / a little dull?
View Quote

In case op missed this question...
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I so want a nice scabbard for my Albion.

Looking at the prices makes me appreciate what the OP paid for that beautiful sword AND scabbard all that much more.

It ain't hard to spend $1000 on a really nice scabbard.  Heck, the one I want STARTS at $495.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#37]
OP, love the sword and scabbard and the story behind it all.  The price seems reasonable to me.

What doesn't seem reasonable at all is the 2.5 year time frame to make one sword

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#38]
That's stellar, congrats.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OP, love the sword and scabbard and the story behind it all.  The price seems reasonable to me.

What doesn't seem reasonable at all is the 2.5 year time frame to make one sword

View Quote

yeah it was originally supposed to be only 1 year. But the last thing I want to do is piss someone off after having paid up front

Makes waiting on tax stamps seem short
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I so want a nice scabbard for my Albion.

Looking at the prices makes me appreciate what the OP paid for that beautiful sword AND scabbard all that much more.

It ain't hard to spend $1000 on a really nice scabbard.  Heck, the one I want STARTS at $495.

View Quote

My only other nice blade is my Albion Reeve. Had Christian fletcher make a scabbard for it since he was the only guy without a year plus backlog and he was a local.
Cost was $1200 if I remember correctly. My sword was only like $850 But you can tell the difference between a custom wood core scabbard and a crappy $100 one.

Still he did a really nice job even if he looks like Jaime from mythbusters.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top