Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 8:41:18 PM EDT
im not to knowledgeable when it comes to knives. I've been reading about different styles and types trying to obsorb as much as I can. I'm still trying to justify spending 100+ for a blade.

I came across the French Laguiole style when looking into suggested blade geometry for cleaning waterfowl, and I'm pretty intrigued by its shape. Reminds me of something my grandfather once had.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a few who know more than I do, but what I do know is the more expensive ones have the name stamped in the blade and not etched.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are a few who know more than I do, but what I do know is the more expensive ones have the name stamped in the blade and not etched.
View Quote

Look for "Made in France" as well, as there are many cheap versions produced in Asia.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Look for "Made in France" as well, as there are many cheap versions produced in Asia.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a nice boxed carving knife and fork set in a presentation box and the steel is stamped Made In China, IIRC.

Gave it to my GF, so it's at her place and I can't verify that, but you're right.  They repo that stuff quite often.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Skip the Laguiole and go for a Jacques Mongin Yatagan, same blade geometry better knife and old ass design, like 600-800 years old. Laguiole has the gay and there are three or more companies that claim theyre the real deal. Mongin's are the working mans blade. I prefer the ringlock too. Chambriard knives are another slipjoint pocket knife similar to the Laguiole but I'd still go Mongin over either.

If you want cheaper, look at Opinel's Inox line. I believe Coghlan's is the US distributor for Opinel. Nontron are another less expensive design although they are not as robust as the Opinel IMHO, but a cool old design none the less.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought this in Munich at a cutlery shop for I think $125? Very well made knife, used it to cut fruit the whole trip.

ETA: Found it for sale on Amazon for $130 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Laguiole-Aubrac-Pocket-Sandvik-stainless-L0212EBI/dp/B00PABV3GY

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top