Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2015 2:43:50 AM EDT
hey,

im searching for a knife like the Tracker Dan BloodShark blade, which can be used as an edc on a every day 1,5" belt (the following pic is a warbelt, but i need it for every day purposes)
i want to wear it horizontally and it could be a little cheaper :-)

thx
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Becker BK-14?  You can wrap it yourself if you like cord wraps (I don't) or you can get G10 scales for it here

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
thx but a sheath for edc is also very important
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#3]
CRKT KISS fixed blade.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#4]
looks nice, how to wear it horizontally on a belt?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thx but a sheath for edc is also very important
View Quote

It comes with thin sheath very similar to another Becker that I own (BK-11)...

Photo of BK14 with G10 scales in standard sheath (not mine) >>>

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#6]

The sheath it comes with can be worn horizontal
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
hey,

im searching for a knife like the Tracker Dan BloodShark blade, which can be used as an edc on a every day 1,5" belt (the following pic is a warbelt, but i need it for every day purposes)
i want to wear it horizontally and it could be a little cheaper :-)

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/156265_242499755855318_514547134_n.jpg?oh=4e26e22ff79382ce61ed6f5af0cbefab&oe=56A386D5

thx
View Quote

ESEE Izula is the knife you seek. The sheath that comes with it works perfectly with spyderco's G-clip for horizontal belt carry, which is the way I carry it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]
My latest solution, Busse Anniversay Mean Street, Mashed Cat sheath.  

The baby shit colored kydex grows on you after a while, I promise.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my Joe Watson Magni in a tracker dan/ blade rigs sheath.

Get it while you can on Blue Line Gear!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
ESEE Izula or Izula II all day long fills that need. Many people even go one size larger and carry the ESEE 3. Great knives, great price and a no questions asked warranty.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
For comparison purposes - ESEE family and a cousin (Becker BK14 - "Eskabar").  For the sake of discussion, the subject knife (Tracker Dan BloodShark) is ~6.75" OAL - the closest to this is the BK14 although it is 1095 steel (not SS).  The closest SS knife in the bunch is the SS Izula although it is a little shorter (OAL).  Either is a good choice although I prefer SS and would choose the SS Izula...  Good luck OP - let us know what you end up with...

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#12]
thx for all the input, especially reorx!!!!
a friend gave me his rat4 plus sheath. just ordered the g-clip from ebay, so i will give it a try!
if its too bulky i will switch to izula, looks great!

is anyone else using a g-clip horizontally?

thx
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I use paracord on the standard sheath to create a horizontal carry rig.  This is one way to do it >>

Alternatively, you can just use a single piece of paracord and tie the free ends together.  The ESEE-3 and -4 in sheaths in the top photo above are also rigged for horizontal carry using another variation of the paracord method...

P.S.: The 4 is a great knife but I think you are going to find it annoying large for EDC unless you spend a lot of time outdoors.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
thx for all the input, especially reorx!!!!
a friend gave me his rat4 plus sheath. just ordered the g-clip from ebay, so i will give it a try!
if its too bulky i will switch to izula, looks great!

is anyone else using a g-clip horizontally?

thx
View Quote

The 4 is my favorite knife for when I am in the woods. Ive tried carrying it every way imaginable and the only way it works for me is small of the back. I ended up tossing it in my truck bag and carry a Izula. Its so much easier to carry and you do not even notice it. At least you got a free knife!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#15]
too bad the g-clip is only suitable for belts up to 1,5" cause im wearing an 5.11 operators belt 1,75" every day
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The paracord rigs I showed above (BK-11, ESEE-3, & ESEE-4) all fit my 511 1.75" TDU belt...  just sayin'...  

(I haven't rigged the BK-14 (yet) but it will fit as well...)
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The paracord rigs I showed above (BK-11, ESEE-3, & ESEE-4) all fit my 511 1.75" TDU belt...  just sayin'...  

(I haven't rigged the BK-14 (yet) but it will fit as well...)
View Quote

reorx rules ;-)

thx for the information, do you know a online tutorial about how to wrap it up correctly like in your pics with the 4 knives?

thx
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#18]
"Tutorial" >>>

The basics:
1) Get a 24" length of an appropriate color paracord
2) Put one end thru the #1 hole at the top of the sheath
3) Put the other end thru the #2 hole at the top of the sheath
4) Bring both ends out the corresponding holes at the bottom of the sheath
5) You have now created the 2 basic belt loops necessary to hold the sheath on your belt.  Secure the free ends any way you like.  You can simply tie them together in a knot or you can loop them thru some of the other holes in the sheath and then tie them together in a knot or pull them thru a cord stop (photo below)...

<In case you need a link for paracord accessories - try here>

Variations and other considerations:
1) You can use hole #3 instead of hole #2.
2) Because the ESEE-4 is not a small or light weight knife, you can also loop the free end that exits hole #2 on the bottom of the sheath back up and into hole #3 at the top and out of hole #3 at the bottom of the sheath - this will create a 3rd belt loop on the back of the sheath which should hold the knife/sheath in position more tightly thus decreasing any "flopping around' when you are moving...  Then secure the free ends any way you like.
3) Because the 511 operators belt is a bit thicker that the average belt and in order to get a "good fit", you can rig the sheath "to the belt" - i.e. tighten & secure the loose ends with the sheath on the belt so that you don't have to guess at how much slack to leave in the rigging like you would if you secured the loose ends with the sheath off the belt.  Once you have secured the ends, you can slide the sheath off the end of the belt.  <some trial & error may be necessary to get the right fit - too tight and you won't be able to get the sheath on the belt, too loose and the knife will "flop around" as you move>

On the completed rig, cut the tails of the paracord to any length you like and heat seal the ends.

Any questions?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#19]
great tutorial, thx!
i think im ordering a esee izula the next weeks and try the paracord-sheath-method for wearing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think that that will work for an Izula on a 1.75" belt.  The Izula sheath is too small.  I'll take a closer look.  You may be able to rig it but it won't be as easy/clean as the others I mentioned...

ETA: Just checked the Izula.  Paracord won't work (easily/cleanly).  The Izula is more suited to pocket or neck carry...  just sayin'...  The EsKabar is the smallest that will work with a paracord rig on a 1.75" belt.

The EsKabar comes in 2 versions - both come with skeletonized handles:
BK-14 - 1095 steel coated blade.

BK-24 - D2 steel uncoated blade.

You can also get G10 scales for either here
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
great advice, ill have to rethink my plan...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Talk to Arfcommer Smithy

CLICK ME!!!

Tell him what you want in a sheath and knife and have him make it for you

He made two of my knives and the sheathes to my specs.

The knife actually rides on the strap of my camel back secure and easy to get to.

Knives

Together
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Take a look at Joe Watson. He actually is a buddy of Tracker Dan and works up the same sheath for his own knives. Well made too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#24]
just found another interesting one:

TDI Hinderer Hellfire with veil solutions sheath
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#25]
In a different league than most of the other knives mentioned so far is the Bear Grylls Paracord Knife

I did not expect much when I picked it up but it has turned out to be a fantastic little knife. Thinking it would be a piece of crap I kind of treated it poorly and would use it for things that I would not use a nicer knife for. It ended up holding up great and keeps a sharp edge through a lot of use. I actually prefer it to my BK14 Eskabar and being stainless use it a lot more without worry. The sheath holds it secure but lets you pull it out quick when you want it and again, a little better than the BK14.

Other options could be the Ka Bar TDI lineup and some of the Cold Steel Safe Makers and Safe Keepers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#26]
i think it will be a decision between the KA-BAR BK14 and BK11...

they seem to be made out of the same material, nearly same length, same price and so on....
i have long, small fingers.

is it more a visual decision?

thx
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#27]
BK-14 grip is longer by about a finger width...  The BK-11 is a 3 finger grip, the BK-14 (&24) is a 4 finger grip.  If you plan to use the knife a fair amount, you'll appreciate the longer grip of the BK-14.  (check your PMs )

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

CRKT KISS fixed blade.

http://i39.tinypic.com/f1wcg4.jpg

View Quote

Good choice.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#29]
SPYDERCO STREET BEAT

FTW!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i think it will be a decision between the KA-BAR BK14 and BK11...

they seem to be made out of the same material, nearly same length, same price and so on....
i have long, small fingers.

is it more a visual decision?

thx
View Quote

I just recently chose the BK11 from these two based on a video of a guy who used it to cut open a toolbox. He used the bottle opener as a pry to peel back the top. Initial impressions I have are very favorable. I dont mind the three fingered grip and I like that it is a little shorter as it gives a little more room for adjustment on my belt.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I just ordered a Spartan Blades Phrike. Might be worth a look. Looks like a super useful blade

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#32]
thx for all the input, i finally got a knife :-)

a good friend sold me his izula, looks like new.
i also bought the blade tech iwb belt loops, which can be carried with a 1.75" belt horizontally, works very very well!

THX!
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I am glad you found something you like. Here is my EDC. Ti Skeleton Utility. Weighs in at 1/4 oz and with kydex sheath and strap is 3/4 oz.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
thx for all the input, i finally got a knife :-)

a good friend sold me his izula, looks like new.
i also bought the blade tech iwb belt loops, which can be carried with a 1.75" belt horizontally, works very very well!

THX!
View Quote

Goodcchoice  Izulas are great little knives

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top