Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2015 2:24:21 PM EDT
My wife found this knife in the street.  It's nothing special - blade is marked "Stainless Pakistan" so not worth turning into the Lost & Found or anything like that, but I don't want to throw it out either.

If anything this lets me practice some cleanup and finishing.

So knife gurus, how do you go cleaning up a dirty old knife?  It is a bit greasy so hit it with brake cleaner?  Put it in the Sonic Cleaner?

The blade is dinged and scratched, so while I have a Knife Sharpener to eventually put an edge on it how do I make the blade pretty - hit it with some fine grit sandpaper?

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw it away.  

Try sharpening it and you'll see what I mean.  

Paki steel sucks.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If it was a buck 110 I'd say go for it.

That knife will only disappoint.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
There are so many good, cheap knives on the market, why would you waste a second on a turd like that?  Do you want one of us to mail you a knife?
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are so many good, cheap knives on the market, why would you waste a second on a turd like that?  Do you want one of us to mail you a knife?
View Quote

No, I have plenty knives, just wanted to get some experience in cleaning up an old one - all my own knives are in good shape. So wanted to know things like will hitting it with brake cleaner strip off any coating on the wood - is it safe to use with the brass etc, so that whenever i do come to have to clean my own knives i will have some skill at doing it.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No, I have plenty knives, just wanted to get some experience in cleaning up an old one - all my own knives are in good shape. So wanted to know things like will hitting it with brake cleaner strip off any coating on the wood - is it safe to use with the brass etc, so that whenever i do come to have to clean my own knives i will have some skill at doing it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Take it apart and see how it works and how it's made.  If you still like it after that polish it up and put an edge on it.  Good thing about starting with this knife is ANYTHING you do to it will make it better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 6:34:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Or make an auto conversion out of it.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Use this : model 1200 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-x-11-Wet-Dry-SANDPAPER-400-600-800-1000-1200-1500-2000-2500-3000-GRIT-/161638431296?hash=item25a266ba40&item=161638431296&var=&vxp=mtr
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy some mineral oil from Wally World.  Place the knife on its side and cover in the oil.  Let soak over night.  Take it out and place it in direct sunlight for a couple days, wiping down occasionally with paper towels.  It works wonders.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top