Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2015 7:29:53 AM EDT
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good balisong under $150?  I've got an old and well abused Bear & Sons that is floating around the house somewhere and I'd like to upgrade.  Perhaps a source for used a Kimura?  I'm right on the edge of grabbing up one of the Kimura XI's at bladehq.com, but by most reviews, it looks like a Kimura that was intended to be fit with scales and they scrapped the idea mid production.  Barring any other options, I may grab one of those and fit my own scales, but I'd rather get something I don't have to modify out of the box.  Any suggestions?  Extra points for tanto blades.

Even just a source for used bali's would be helpful.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I have carried this one among other autos when I lived in Jamaica:

</a>" />

A few other autos and a older Shark-Tech:
</a>" />
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to find a lightly used Benchmade 51 for $150. That's what I'd recommend. The Kimuras are ok but they are heavy, the BM 51 will be easier to flip and the blade steel is superior.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw those kimuras listed on bladehq also and almost bought one because I've heard great things about them. I decided not to because I really am not a tanto blade fan and those handle scales were kinda ugly imo.

I own 3 bali's, a BM42, BM51, and Mtech Twist. If you are a first responder I would suggest buying a new 51 direct from benchmade which you could get for $150 shipped. PM me if youre a first responder and need details/help with that.

Are you looking for a flipper/edc knife? I've heard good thing about the new Bear Ops Bali's which you can get for about $90. The kimura could be a good option. I would also look at the microtech metalmark which you could get for about $160. Unfortunately there's not much more in your price range that's really worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Sadly, I'm not a first responder.  I know the market is pretty thin in my price range, and that users CAN be found pretty close to what I'm willing to spend, it's just a matter of where.  Found a few knife swap sub forums but many of the ads are old, I'll keep an eye on them though as those look like the best bet so far.  On a side note, the 51 looks very nice and I like the pocket clip, but it doesn't really excite me.  This is primarily going to be for flipping, but if there's a pocket clip I may try it out for carry as well, depending on weight.  

I did break down and picked up the Kimura XI at bladehq.com because I really like the blade shape, it should be en route either today or Monday.  I'll write up an opinion once I've had it for a bit, but I'm already trying to figure out how to fit some scales to it.  

Like any "itch", I'm still on the look out for something else to play with as well since my Bear & Sons is MIA after my last move.  Currently looking at the knives at balisong.com.  As I understand it, Armand Palacio had something to do with them, and they do sell Pandayan's from time to time, but I'm more curious about the traditional designs that are more value priced.  They look very nice, although heavy, and the pins look a little on the small side to me.  Anyone have some insight on them?
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top