Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 11:10:25 PM EDT
Looking for something very similar to the SOG Twitch XL....just 'better' I guess. I own one currently but it's shitty..the belt clip bends easy and the spring for the assisted opening keeps crapping out. Not impressed with the blade either.

I want something slim, with a clip and spring assisted. What do you say? Don't want to spend a fortune, just a quality and reliable knife.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I can personally attest to the ZT350s ability to reliably stab an attacker  5 times without breaking or otherwise failing. After having used it in that capacity I dont see myself buying anymore light duty EDC knives. I'll be buying another this week since I wont be getting mine back from the police for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Budget?

Close to the twitch I'd say the ZT0566, ZT0562, ZT0770 Benchmade 580, 910/2,

Check Kershawguy.com for blems to save money
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can personally attest to the ZT350s ability to reliably stab an attacker  5 times without breaking or otherwise failing. After having used it in that capacity I dont see myself buying anymore light duty EDC knives. I'll be buying another this week since I wont be getting mine back from the police for awhile.
View Quote
You can't just leave it at that.

Oh and the ZT 0566 is a great knife

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:49:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On my phone at the airport trying to get home.  I'll post in team this weekend ;)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150327_Prosecutors_Waikiki_stabbing_was_selfdefense.html?id=297829071&mobile=true
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
another vote for zt
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

On my phone at the airport trying to get home.  I'll post in team this weekend ;)

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150327_Prosecutors_Waikiki_stabbing_was_selfdefense.html?id=297829071&mobile=true
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know this is a Tech forum, but
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like my Emerson wave knife for EDC. But the new ZT knives look pretty good also.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out the Benchmade Barrage series - lots of options, the spring assist fires hard.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn! I am from HI and was reading about that on SA's Facebook page. Glad to hear everything is alright! Surprise surprise an arfcom member is the one I was reading about! Hope to read
more details in your post in team. I also have a 0350, haven't had to stab anyone but can agree they are solid knives. Need to send mine in for sharpening.

edit: hope you had a good time otherwise!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Damn! I am from HI and was reading about that on SA's Facebook page. Glad to hear everything is alright! Surprise surprise an arfcom member is the one I was reading about! Hope to read
more details in your post in team. I also have a 0350, haven't had to stab anyone but can agree they are solid knives. Need to send mine in for sharpening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Spyderco Para Military 2
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:45:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you looked at a Kershaw Blur in S30V?  About 1/2 the price of a ZT available @ Amazon.  Also more amenable to EDC if your not a construction worker or lumberjack...

YouTube Vid

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of love for the ZT. I'll checkout the ZT, Benchmade, and Kershaw

ETA:  Really digging the ZT0566. I found a retailer selling a FDE colored 0566 but didn't see it on ZT's website. Do they still make this color?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of love for the ZT. I'll checkout the ZT, Benchmade, and Kershaw

ETA:  Really digging the ZT0566. I found a retailer selling a FDE colored 0566 but didn't see it on ZT's website. Do they still make this color?
View Quote

Look at major knife retailers, amazon and kershaw guy.  

Available stock (at any given retailer) might include discontinued items, so you never know what's available.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#15]
So I think i've got it narrowed down to either the ZT 0566 or Benchmade 470-1 Emissary.

What do you think? I'm thinking that the ZT Hinderer design may be of better quality than the Benchrest Axis? I've read that the Axis can be a bit sloppy?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:58:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I think i've got it narrowed down to either the ZT 0566 or Benchmade 470-1 Emissary.

What do you think? I'm thinking that the ZT Hinderer design may be of better quality than the Benchrest Axis? I've read that the Axis can be a bit sloppy?
View Quote

My Benchmade Axis equipped knives lock up tight.

Here's a semi relevant pic:

The Benchmade 586 Mini barrage is similarly sized (the 470 is slimmer and sleeker) to the 470 and then the 0566 is right below it for comparison
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a ZT 566 and my only complaint is that if you cut very "hard" the framelock tightens up so much that it can be a little hard to disengage.  You'll need to really dig your fingernail aginst the framelock.

Day in, day out, my most common carry knife is my good old Delica.  Lost it twice out on the farm and both times it was found!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I say a zero tolerance.

If you can sacrafice the assisted opening I would say a Hinderer 3.5" XM-18.  I actually carry the 3" version more than any other knife, including the ZT assisted openers.  The Hinderer seems to open smoother and actually easier once you get accustomed to it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't really do anything that needs a heavy duty daily knife. I carry a microtech ultratech. Cool factor and its very slim and doesnt take up much room. Ultra sharp,  great box cutter.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Benchmade Griptilian (Doug Ritter special in M390 steel) and then swapped out the plastic grips for aftermarket canvas micarta. I also used the pocket clip from an 810 (I think) Contego since they use the same screw spacing, but it makes it a deep-carry compared to the factory Griptilian clip. I have about $200 or so invested, and I really enjoy the knife.

I used to carry a Winkler F1B, a Crusader Forge VIS-T, and ordered and received a Direware Hyper-90, but that was sold without carrying it. I would be out some money if I lost the current Griptilian, but not nearly as much as those other knives.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#21]
After searching I decided to go with the Benchmade 940-1. It is smaller than most of the other knives that I usually carry, and that is what I was looking for. Very solid knife, seems delicate but it is very strong.

Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:44:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Some of my suggestions from my own stash...

Here is a funny one, a Damascus Kershaw Leek.

Some ZT action.

Some of my others.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After searching I decided to go with the Benchmade 940-1. It is smaller than most of the other knives that I usually carry, and that is what I was looking for. Very solid knife, seems delicate but it is very strong.

View Quote

I love my 940-1.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Just a heads up, most all of these knives are going to be considerably thicker than your twitch.  The only thing I liked about mine was that it was sooo thin.  You will have to get used to it.  Just stick it out when you do make the switch.  Going from a twitch to a ZT is going to be very pocket noticeable.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I love my 940-1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I love my 940-1.

+1. I like my regular 940, but the 940-1 is on a whole other level with the S90V. It has kicked my Sebenzas out of the pocket since I got it.

ETA: The Benchmade 940 series has a relatively big blade for the size of the handle. I despise smaller knives and I love the 940's.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top