Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2015 7:20:49 PM EDT
College student, works in a hospital and can't be lugging the dirty harry 44 around, frequently walking in parking lots around school and work at night. Well lit, but she still would rather have more than the little container of mace.
She's looked into self defense schools around and can't find a local school teaching knife fighting/defense that is close or fits her schedule.
Can this be effectively learned from a video?
Recommend a good purse carry knife?
Fixed or lock blade?
Thanks all you tier 1 operators
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Knife fighting is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Knife fighting is for movies not real life.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow...
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
College student, works in a hospital and can't be lugging the dirty harry 44 around, frequently walking in parking lots around school and work at night. Well lit, but she still would rather have more than the little container of mace.
She's looked into self defense schools around and can't find a local school teaching knife fighting/defense that is close or fits her schedule.
Can this be effectively learned from a video?
Recommend a good purse carry knife?
Fixed or lock blade?
Thanks all you tier 1 operators
View Quote

You should check the schedule for Craig 'Southnarc" Douglass to see if he has anything scheduled in your area. I've trained with a number of guys over the years but Craig has a way of condensing knife defense down to the meat and bones.

His Intro to Edged Weapons course is excellent. Learning how to defend against the blade is of utmost importance.

Knife fights are ugly business. Learning basic skills will not insure absolute protection from a knife-weilding attacker,  but it can help mitigate the damage.

His Edged Weapons class starts with his Managing Unknown Contacts segment, which is well worth the price of admission, especially for females.

I humbly disagree with the above posters. Learning how to deal with edged weapons is a damned good idea, and it doesn't just happen in movies.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
American Derringer Model 1

Available in calibers from 22LR to 45-70
I own one in .357mag/.38 special...
Not exactly "fun" to shoot but at close range, it's alot better than a sharp stick!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
American Derringer Model 1
http://www.amderringer.com/pix/m1.jpg
Available in calibers from 22LR to 45-70
I own one in .357mag/.38 special...
Not exactly "fun" to shoot but at close range, it's alot better than a sharp stick!
View Quote

I'd actually prefer a sharp stick... Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Basilian jujitsu then: add knife.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, this. But make it Brazilian jiu-jitsu. :-p More advanced Judo and Krav also contain elements of weapons defense.

Life is too short to waste learning fantasy martial arts (knife fighting)
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Look into Kali, it's like Philippino stick and knife fighting.  It's pretty brutal stuff.

Also knife fighting is fucking scary.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look into Kali, it's like Philippino stick and knife fighting.  It's pretty brutal stuff.

View Quote

exactly what I was going to say. Took it for 3 years.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Steve Tarani will be teaching his 2 day edged weapons/improvised weapons class in Dallas this March. Being hosted by Hardwired Tactical Shooting and sponsored by 5.11 Tactical. Steve is pretty amazing as an instructor. The class is worth every penny. I would be going again but starting new job and schedule conflicts.

Other instructors worth note are:

Craig Douglas aka SouthNarc of Shiv Works
Michael Janich of Martial Bladecraft
John Benner of Tactical Defense Institute (TDI)
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Find a FMA, (Filipino Martial Arts) School in your area.

There are no better knife fighters than Filipino's.
Yes, knife fighting is scary.
Defending yourself with a knife is not necessarily knife fighting.

Have her try some Kali/Escrima classes out and see if they're for her. Most women do well in Kali/Escrima classes IME. They generally dont have the muscle to over power things so they tend to work at getting the techniques down well, (meaning men have a tendency to compensate for poor technique by muscling through...women dont generally do that).

Link Posted: 2/13/2015 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I frequently clip a kershaw leek to my scrubs. Quick to open and nice and pointy. I put grip tape spots on the slippy handle and clip and it's really helped with the slippyness.

Not the best weapon but better than nothing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 3:00:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Good OC spray is far better than a knife for self defense.  It is very hard to keep your composure, let alone fight after being hit with it.   Take the pain of breaking a major bone, multiply it by about five, and apply it to your eyes.  That's what it feels like.  

encourage her learn how to use that.  

There are water-filled OC training canisters made for practice.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good OC spray is far better than a knife for self defense.  It is very hard to keep your composure, let alone fight after being hit with it.   Take the pain of breaking a major bone, multiply it by about five, and apply it to your eyes.  That's what it feels like.  
View Quote

Huh. I fought with more than one suspect after hitting them with OC that were unaware of how effective it is. I guess nobody told them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seriously incorrect.

I've been OC'd and had to fight multiple assailants afterwards in training.
I've also fought numerous people in my 10 years as cop who were OC sprayed and kept fighting.

OC can work, but is not anywhere near 100% in effectiveness and is less effective than a knife in terms of self defense.
OC could be part of an effective SD Plan, but should not be the only part.

I would suggest OC backed by a knife would be something to think about, with the understanding that OC is to be used if time and space allow.
Use of OC also means being sprayed herself and learning how to compensate with being sprayed (as cross contamination, cause it doesnt just stay on the bad guy...that shit gets everywhere).
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:56:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd venture to say that guys who get in fights with cops are of a different cloth than those who prey on people who are physically weaker than them.  

and of course it's a lot easier for a person to flip the  "no pain switch" when they are fucked up on something.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there a scalpel throwing technique? Glove with scalpel slots, slip it on, rip off the velcro retainer patch, whip it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:41:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Seriously incorrect.

I've also fought numerous people in my 10 years as cop who were OC sprayed and kept fighting.

OC can work, but is not anywhere near 100% in effectiveness and is less effective than a knife in terms of self defense.

I would suggest OC backed by a knife would be something to think about, with the understanding that OC is to be used if time and space allow.
Use of OC also means being sprayed herself and learning how to compensate with being sprayed (as cross contamination, cause it doesnt just stay on the bad guy...that shit gets everywhere).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously incorrect.

yeah, I know, and what you say true as well.  

i went through the same training, and I fought the red man at 5 stations.  We got to watch it all on video later and I was one of the only ones in our class who on video, appeared to be unaffected in full control.  On the inside though, I was crying like a bitch.  

About a year later, I was in a situation where a bad guy OCed me.  My gun was out because I thought he was pulling a gun.   It hurt, but I was able to keep control of my pistol and beat the shit out of him.  He was charged with assaulting me with a caustic substance (felony) in virginia.  

Moral of the story - Adrenaline makes a big difference.   It doesn't change the fact that OC is very painful.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Fly up to Seattle and take this class together. You won't regret it. If possible schedule one that will be instructed by John Holschen. He is the former Senior hand to hand combat instructor for the 1st Special Forces Group. Take some energy bars and sports drinks. It isn't a desk lecture class. When you leave you will never be without your knife again and you'll probably already be planning your next class.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#22]
That Michael Janich look's interesting. Watch him on that TV show Best Defense no frills just get it done fast and aggressive or you could teach the Sgt. Major Eugene Banks method " drive it in as deep as possible then get your weight up on the hilt hang on and let that a-hole you just stabbed do all the work".
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That Michael Janich look's interesting. Watch him on that TV show Best Defense no frills just get it done fast and aggressive or you could teach the Sgt. Major Eugene Banks method " drive it in as deep as possible then get your weight up on the hilt hang on and let that a-hole you just stabbed do all the work".
View Quote

South Narc is more badass... I promise.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.

Have her try some Kali/Escrima classes out and see if they're for her. Most women do well in Kali/Escrima classes IME. They generally dont have the muscle to over power things so they tend to work at getting the techniques down well, (meaning men have a tendency to compensate for poor technique by muscling through...women dont generally do that).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I'm an associate FMA instructor and I can tell you that the way that South Narc condensed my many years of training into  3-day class absolutely blew my mind...

That's the main reason I endorse him so adamantly.

I'm not associated with him in any way, BTW.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:57:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Like others have said.

6 months (or more) of BJJ and a class with Craig Douglas if possible.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Like others have said.

6 months (or more) of BJJ and a class with Craig Douglas if possible.
View Quote

And Cecil Burch iajj and Paul Sharp's mdoc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Level 1 Krav teaches basic knife defenses.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Martial Blade Concepts gets my vote.  There are a few instructors in the OP's home state.  Plus, the hub of MBC is just one state away.  

Martial Blade Concepts locator
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:06:29 PM EDT
[#29]
This.  Great training at Insights.  

Quoted:
Fly up to Seattle and take this class together. You won't regret it. If possible schedule one that will be instructed by John Holschen. He is the former Senior hand to hand combat instructor for the 1st Special Forces Group. Take some energy bars and sports drinks. It isn't a desk lecture class. When you leave you will never be without your knife again and you'll probably already be planning your next class.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No shit. She's looking to add another tool to the box, not to go out and reenact fucking West Side Story.

Something small and easy to retain is probably best for defensive EDC. Karambits, Hideaway Knives, and La Griffe style knives are easy to hang onto, even when you open your hand, and easy to conceal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow...

No shit. She's looking to add another tool to the box, not to go out and reenact fucking West Side Story.

Something small and easy to retain is probably best for defensive EDC. Karambits, Hideaway Knives, and La Griffe style knives are easy to hang onto, even when you open your hand, and easy to conceal.

When protecting my g/f I got sprayed point blank with OC and worked through it thanks to adrenaline and being super PO'd.
It's hardly noticable when motivated.

On the other hand, men and armies have been stopping each other for centuries, long before OC and firearms, with edged weapons.
A Kershaw Blur across the midriff would make anyone stop and reflect.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:02:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

i went through the same training, and I fought the red man at 5 stations.  We got to watch it all on video later and I was one of the only ones in our class who on video, appeared to be unaffected in full control.  On the inside though, I was crying like a bitch.  

About a year later, I was in a situation where a bad guy OCed me.  My gun was out because I thought he was pulling a gun.   It hurt, but I was able to keep control of my pistol and beat the shit out of him.  He was charged with assaulting me with a caustic substance (felony) in virginia.  

Moral of the story - Adrenaline makes a big difference.   It doesn't change the fact that OC is very painful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously incorrect.

That is such a retarded statement, I don't even know where to start.
I'm still missing the point to where recommending OC over a knife is valid...
You're average person isn't looking for the compliance that a LEO is looking for.  Is it better than nothing? Sure. Do I recommend OC at all? No.

OC isn't a tool I consider defending yourself with. A knife is. (second to a gun, of course).   I guess if running away wasn't an option, and you have no choice other than fight for your life, you could maybe smash open the canister and use the metal edges as a defense tool.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Remember oc usually hits the person spraying as well. I dont carry it because of it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#36]
OC sucks and I hate it. I'm going to beat the hell out the next person that sprays me.
As a defensive tool, OC doesn't actually DO anything to an attacker. It hurts and makes it hard to see, but it's not like shooting someone or anything. A C2 Taser is a better option, but the training mentioned previously is even better. 6 months of BJJ would be great.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate to say it, but range is key for a female defending herself against a larger, faster, stronger male.

Even if your woman has a fast double-leg, she's still behind the curve.

Consider a school that teaches defense solutions that start at range; i.e. not looking like a mark, spotting threats and ambush points, ranged defense and escape techniques.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top