Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 8:26:54 PM EDT
I've been eyeing this knife for awhile and just ordered the 7" version as  a present for myself.

ANyone here have this knife?  Happy with it if so?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Chris Reeve Pacific, which is similar to the Green Beret. Mine came out the box with an absolutely pristine fit and finish and feels great in hand.

Chris Reeve makes incredible knives, I'm sure you will love it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Pacific as well.

Sold it because it tough for me to want to use and abuse a $300 knife. Bought something half as expensive.

That being said, it was a fantastic knife that I would recommend to anyone in that price range.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Years ago there was a guy on bladeforums that did destruction tests of knives.  The CRK Green Beret had a very poor showing and there was much butthurt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Years ago there was a guy on bladeforums that did destruction tests of knives.  The CRK Green Beret had a very poor showing and there was much butthurt.
View Quote

Yeah, I found that thread....Went ahead and bought the knife anyway (there were enough good reviews elsewhere)...Some of those tests were .  I don't think I'll be using this as a prybar, nor will I get stabby with concrete.  I also suspect that if I did have to do those things the condition of the knife afterwards will be the least of my worries.

I also own a Gemtech G5...so now Im two for two for things that have gotten destroyed on youtube.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, I found that thread....Went ahead and bought the knife anyway (there were enough good reviews elsewhere)...Some of those tests were .  I don't think I'll be using this as a prybar, nor will I get stabby with concrete.  I also suspect that if I did have to do those things the condition of the knife afterwards will be the least of my worries.

I also own a Gemtech G5...so now Im two for two for things that have gotten destroyed on youtube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't you rather have the knife that held up better? I'll be honest and admit that I have used knives as pry bars on occasion.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wouldn't you rather have the knife that held up better? I'll be honest and admit that I have used knives as pry bars on occasion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly?  My feeling on those videos is that you work hard enough at trying to destroy something you will destroy it....I've watched a few of his videos also and none of the testing methods are consistent, or represent what the majority of people will put their knife through in the real world.  

As far as using a knife for a pry bar...I've got pry bars that serve that purpose.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sJ82NQ3Pjk

In the first part of the video you can hear him getting out of breath as he tries to break the knife with whatever tool that initially was used before he switched to vise grips, he was obviously having some difficulty there...It was only when he switched to vise grips that the blade broke.  How much was it weakened already by the prior abuse?

Here is destroying a Ka-Bar...only this time he goes right for the vise grips and the knife shatters like a toy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dilhl_dtidk

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have too.  I've only done it with knives that are built with abuse in mind though.  If he intends to use the Green Beret only as a knife, he should be fine.  

I'm not that old, but I remember when I was a kid, breaking the tip off a knife was something people were embarrassed by.  Now apparently it means you're all hardcore and tactical.  It's funny to me, even though I do own a few sharpened pry bars myself.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My feeling on those videos is that you work hard enough at trying to destroy something you will destroy it.

View Quote

You notice he didn't test knives with a cutting torch.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
People felt Noss' videos were credible enough that a knife maker built an insanely tough knife just for him to destroy. I like to think of his test videos as insurance policies when buying knives. If a knife can stand up to the type of crap he did with them, then I sure as hell don't have to worry about it breaking with what im going to do with it.

I think it's useful in that it shows how much abuse the knife can take before it goes belly up. I sure wouldn't want to pay $300 for a Reeve knife that can't do even a forth of what some $50 ontario or ESEE knife can do.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
People felt Noss' videos were credible enough that a knife maker built an insanely tough knife just for him to destroy. I like to think of his test videos as insurance policies when buying knives. If a knife can stand up to the type of crap he did with them, then I sure as hell don't have to worry about it breaking with what im going to do with it.

I think it's useful in that it shows how much abuse the knife can take before it goes belly up. I sure wouldn't want to pay $300 for a Reeve knife that can't do even a forth of what some $50 ontario or ESEE knife can do.
View Quote

Yeah I don't know.  I saw the tests prior to my purchase of the GB and actually debated for several months whether or not I still wanted the knife. At the end of the day I liked the knife enough and felt there were enough firsthand accounts of people who actually use it and have no issue with it to go ahead and make the purchase.

I've also got a few issues with Noss's methodology.  I watched many of his videos and there was a general lack of consistency on how some of the knives were handled, and reading some of his forum posts where he is critical of and basically laughs at people claiming his testing isn't really scientific or consistent (and based on what I saw it is neither) doesn't help my thoughts on the matter much.   There is also the fact that there are claims from multiple sources that he altered at least one of the knives prior to testing, making it so that it was more resistant to breakage.  When I read stuff like that it makes it hard to take his tests seriously.

I really had no idea until recently that people did this stuff to knives and posted it to you tube.  When I was younger, I was taught by the older generation that a knife was a cutting tool, take care of it and use it properly and it will be there for when you need it.  I think if any of those guys saw someone using a knife to chop concrete or hitting it with a sledge they would have gotten smacked upside the head.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been eyeing this knife for awhile and just ordered the 7" version as  a present for myself.

ANyone here have this knife?  Happy with it if so?
View Quote

My little brother has a numbered one to go with his funny Green Beenie

I got a Pacific and its held up to my abuse just fine.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top