Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 2:00:58 PM EDT
How much blade play is normal? And what about side-side vs up-down?

I have both on a new Scarab,  I can definitely see and hear the movement.

Not near what my China otf clones do though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got a combat troodon and it has some slight blade play. There has to be some play with the OTF design or the slightest bit of grit or lint would render the knife useless.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Ultratech here. It doesn't rattle when I shake it but I can grab the blade and move it around a little. About 1mm in any direction.

I had resolved to send it back to Microtech earlier this year because it wouldn't open reliably. Instead I put some CLP in it and it runs great now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ultratech here. It doesn't rattle when I shake it but I can grab the blade and move it around a little. About 1mm in any direction.

I had resolved to send it back to Microtech earlier this year because it wouldn't open reliably. Instead I put some CLP in it and it runs great now.
View Quote

I heard flushing it with zippo fluid cleared up the actions too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
That's normal with a double action OTF.  They run loose because the spring in a DA isn't very strong.  If it were tighter the knives wouldn't be able to mechanically function.  It's the tradeoff you make for a DA.  SA OTFs like the Halo will have less play.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:46:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a brand new Scarab and recently sold one that I had carried for over 10 years. I noticed very little blade movement in either knife. It is not rock solid, but, the blade is very tightly held in place. Even in the 10 year old Scarab, the blade extension and retraction was very strong and very fast.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My UTX70  is same as BradleyC  above , has about 1mm or less play  which is SOP for the D/A OTF it is my EDC  and has never failed me, excellent quality.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Blade play ! You said .... Blade play ! You should try one of the Benchmade's OTF if you want some blade play !

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:22:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an ultratech and when its closed and I shake it theres some rattling, but when it's open and I shake it I hear no rattling at all
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use acetone & then blast the internals with dry-lube & wipe it off any exposed parts..
Never gets gummy. Have to make sure to wipe the blades with light oil after, though. Acetone really gets all the oil off.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Blade play ! You said .... Blade play ! You should try one of the Benchmade's OTF if you want some blade play !

View Quote

My Benchmade Infidel has very little "blade play".  But I handled some Pirahna's that had plenty.  Gorgeous knife.  But I refused to pay that much after I handled it.  YMMV.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top