Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2014 10:47:43 PM EDT
I would like to have one.  I don't know why, but they seem cool.  My understanding is that the Kukri doubles as a chopping tool and weapon.

Some questions I have:

1) What does it do that a machete can't?  Why should I pay high $200s for something like this when I can buy a $20 machete?  Size is the obvious argument.
2) If you own one, why?  Practical use or just cool to have?
3) What brands should I consider?
4) Anything else I need to know?  Feel free to share.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a $20 dollar one. $200 for one is silly.
Stiffer and different balance than a machete.  Each is better for chopping different types of stuff.
Can also thrust with a Kukri, not with most machetes.
Can also choke up on it and use like a smaller knife, cannot do that with most machetes.
Can hammer with must kukris.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 1:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
There should be a thumb tack on one of these Kukri threads since they always pop up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:21:56 AM EDT
[#4]
just a tag
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I use machetes around the house fairly often.

Had a CS Carbon V and lost it.

Toyed with a few others and finally bit the bullet again and replaced it.

Chop up a pick up full of brish eith each and then let me know if it's worth the extra dough.

Hint: it is definitely worth the extra dough.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Do a little research on Himalayan Imports and what they stand for and then watch for a deal of the day here, HI Forum, and get the real deal, not a KLO, (kukri like object). You will not be disappointed. On the plus side you are helping a great small business that supports kamis and their families in Nepal.

I have a 13", OAL and 15 oz, that has replaced my little hatchet while backpacking, ultimately more useful than a little hatchet for about the same weight penalty. I no longer carry a larger fixed blade as the kukri has handled everything I have thrown at it. My backpacking knives are my kukri and an Esse 3 and I have never felt under edged, so to speak.
A real Kukri will not be much of one for machete type duties. They are typically thicker bladed and designed for chopping. They also make excellent draw type knives in a pinch. HI forges them from used leaf springs, which are typically 5160 and the way they differentially harden the blades makes them pretty tough.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Quoted:
Do a little research on Himalayan Imports and what they stand for and then watch for a deal of the day here, HI Forum, and get the real deal, not a KLO, (kukri like object). You will not be disappointed. On the plus side you are helping a great small business that supports kamis and their families in Nepal.

I have a 13", OAL and 15 oz, that has replaced my little hatchet while backpacking, ultimately more useful than a little hatchet for about the same weight penalty. I no longer carry a larger fixed blade as the kukri has handled everything I have thrown at it. My backpacking knives are my kukri and an Esse 3 and I have never felt under edged, so to speak.
A real Kukri will not be much of one for machete type duties. They are typically thicker bladed and designed for chopping. They also make excellent draw type knives in a pinch. HI forges them from used leaf springs, which are typically 5160 and the way they differentially harden the blades makes them pretty tough.

So I should buy an import made by who knows who over one made with predictable reliability and repeatability by a reputable company in US or Japan?  I understand the design came from there, but do you trust their metallurgic process?
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There should be a thumb tack on one of these Kukri threads since they always pop up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That's the first thing I checked.  I'm surprised there isn't one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
$200 for anything from Cold Steel is ridiculous. Buy a real one, support a blade craftsman halfway around the world.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 2:44:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So I should buy an import made by who knows who over one made with predictable reliability and repeatability by a reputable company in US or Japan?  I understand the design came from there, but do you trust their metallurgic process?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, yes. This is the only thing those guys (the kamis) do all day, every day. They use vehicle leaf springs, typically made of 5160. Himalayan Imports has been in the business for many years, and should something happen, I'm sure they'd take care of the problem. You asked for a Kukhri, this is the standard that the rest are judged against and made to look like. If you want a production knife, get the Cold Steel. If you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money, get a Busse Killa Zilla (Test Team or KZII).
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In many cases, you'd be right about the import being.....an unknown quantity.  In the case of Himalayan imports.....you would be wrong.  They are the best in both cost and performance when it comes to kuks.  You can spend more and get a fancy steel....the previously mentioned Busse killa villa.....nice blade, cool steel....right now they run ~$1200 or more.  

You can go with a becker BK-4, but it's a fairly small kukri.  Good steel, good price, good warranty.  The BK-9 chops better, but the 4 is a better all-around camp task knife.

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Or you can get a Kukhri made by a craftsman who has been making them every day for years. The same guy who was taught by the bladesmiths who made them for the Gurkha regiments for use in actual combat.

You say metallurgy as if they are making the steel there, they are not. The steel is a known high carbon steel and it is zone tempered for long life and durability. Himalayan Imports does not run a dog and pony show.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#13]
http://www.khukurihouseonline.com/

http://www.khukuriblades.com/

Try these two before you get the stamped steel from Cold Steel. These are smithed from truck leaf springs in Nepal and used to behead buffalo. Got mine to the door for less than $80.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Actually, yes. This is the only thing those guys (the kamis) do all day, every day. They use vehicle leaf springs, typically made of 5160. Himalayan Imports has been in the business for many years, and should something happen, I'm sure they'd take care of the problem. You asked for a Kukhri, this is the standard that the rest are judged against and made to look like. If you want a production knife, get the Cold Steel. If you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money, get a Busse Killa Zilla (Test Team or KZII).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Odd looking

Awkward sheaths

Cult following

Popular with gurkhas.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Odd looking

Awkward sheaths

Cult following

Popular with gurkhas.
View Quote

I ran this through babelfish, seems the literal translation is "I've never used one"
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I ran this through babelfish, seems the literal translation is "I've never used one"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Odd looking

Awkward sheaths

Cult following

Popular with gurkhas.

Did not comment on effectiveness.  My statements are all true.

That blade shape is not useful for any of my purposes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Fair enough.  I'm willing to give the imports a try.  Thanks.

What about practical uses for it (other than lopping heads of course)?  What does it do better than a machete?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What about practical uses for it (other than lopping heads of course)?  What does it do better than a machete?
View Quote

OK, so....it's not the same as a machete in that a machete has a lighter but much thinner blade and the kukri has a fatter, heaver blade.  

I use mine in place of a hatchet, but I also baton with it and have used it as a draw knife.  It's not going to be as efficient as a machete on softer, greener and lighter stuff.  It's too heavy.  Conversely, the machete isn't going to perform well in wood, batonning (requires thickness for optimal performance...wedge).  

I basically use it in a role you would use a hatchet, but the blade gives you the ability to do some things you can't do with a hatchet.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

OK, so....it's not the same as a machete in that a machete has a lighter but much thinner blade and the kukri has a fatter, heaver blade.  

I use mine in place of a hatchet, but I also baton with it and have used it as a draw knife.  It's not going to be as efficient as a machete on softer, greener and lighter stuff.  It's too heavy.  Conversely, the machete isn't going to perform well in wood, batonning (requires thickness for optimal performance...wedge).  

I basically use it in a role you would use a hatchet, but the blade gives you the ability to do some things you can't do with a hatchet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I replaced my back packing hatchet with a 13" er and want an 18" for regular camp chores in place of my ax.
My first.
</a>" />

</a>" />

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This. I replaced my back packing hatchet with a 13" er and want an 18" for regular camp chores in place of my ax.
My first.
http://<a href=http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd436/baetis1911/KUK4.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd436/baetis1911/KUK2.jpg</a>" />

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first.
http://<a href=http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd436/baetis1911/KUK4.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd436/baetis1911/KUK2.jpg</a>" />

yeah, I want a big one too.......I started with a smaller one to see if I liked the concept....and it turns out that I do.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Khukuris are great in the woods to let others know that you are a potential psychopath...
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Khukuris are great in the woods to let others know that you are a potential psychopath...
View Quote

Who said anything about potential? I am a Libertarian in Colorado, I am a psychopath. Carrying it keeps the tree huggers and hippies away!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#25]

I'll kick in another endorsement for Himalayan Imports.

Be sure to watch for the Deal of the Day on Bladeforums, there are many non-catalogued items posted for sale there, and some blems are sold too, if you want to try out an inexpensive one.

Things like this...weighs about 1.5 pounds, and it's so sharp it seriously scares me to handle it, I take great care with it.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I use the shit out of my HI khuk...on the farm working fence rows, in the woods clearing shooting lanes for deer and turkey season, etc....

I own a couple, one stays in my truck bag and the other hangs next to my garage door so it is easy to grab and use.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I can accomplish in one swoop, what would take 20 whacks with a hatchet or machete. I'm just not beast enough to swing a full sized kukri more than a dozen times without my arms turning to jelly.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever heard if it aint broke dont fix it ? The handmade kukri is 100% good to go and may be better than a overseas copy.
The issued Kukri to the Gurkhas are the exact same handmade ones you can order right from Nepal... Yes the cold steel is awesome and I am a cold steel collector. But I would rather have the real deal. Also Condor makes a nice Kukri.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Odd looking

Awkward sheaths

Cult following

Popular with gurkhas.

And what would that be ? Do you own any knives ?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:03:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Have you ever heard if it aint broke dont fix it ? The handmade kukri is 100% good to go and may be better than a overseas copy.
The issued Kukri to the Gurkhas are the exact same handmade ones you can order right from Nepal... Yes the cold steel is awesome and I am a cold steel collector. But I would rather have the real deal. Also Condor makes a nice Kukri.
View Quote

The condor is a good way to see if you like the concept for not much coin.  Just remember, it's a relatively small kukri.  

You will have to put a real edge on it, but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:29:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Odd looking

Awkward sheaths

Cult following

Popular with gurkhas.

Lol.

Yes I do.  Many.

See what I mean about a cult following?

The kukri is a blade design specialized toward a very specific purpose, bushwhacking through vegetation and (occasionally) chopping at people.  For those purposes, it is probably a pretty good tool. For many other of the eleventy-zillion other purposes for which knives are often used, it may not be the best, and in many cases, may be an inferior blade shape to other designs. It's just not designed to do finer work, clean fish, process game, or any task where delivering the most possible force in a chopping motion is not the central goal. That is a fact, in addition to the other facts I mentioned earlier. Knives are a matter of preference and blade design for your purpose.  There are plenty of other good choices out there.

You think they're neat?  Super.
Are they a really good chopper? Probably.
You want to buy or carry one?  Knock yourself out.

Note the reactions to any sentiment besides "omg they're the best ever for every purpose!"- that tells you a lot about the cult of kukri owners. I never said they were bad, useless, or that you'd be stupid to buy or like one. I merely pointed out a few facts that fanbois might overlook.

"Do you even knife, brah", is about the most useless and juvenile response ever. That you honestly went there tells a lot about you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:07:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lol.

Yes I do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Odd looking

Awkward sheaths

Cult following

Popular with gurkhas.

Lol.

Yes I do.

Nah.

If you have a use for one (which you say you don't, ok, whatever, that's on you, your knife your life your business, that's ok), then it is not something you'd find valuable to have in your collection.  It's a rather mission centric item, I'll admit.

That being said..........

If you do have use for one, they work very well.  I think this is why they have what you perceive to be a cult following.  They are damn good at wood processing.  IMHO, they are better at this than a hatchet in both chopping and being able to do other tasks which a hatchet can't do nearly as easily/efficiently.  They also look wickedly cool.  

If you don't use or need a hatchet, you don't need a kukri.  If you do not use a hatchet for more than a "woods hammer" than you don't need a kukri.  If you do use a hatchet's blade on a regular basis, it would serve you to give the kukri a shot.  But that's just my 0.02.

[shrug]  Again:  you say you don't need one.  OK.  I don't really care if you buy one or not.  Not one bit. [/shrug]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top