Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2014 1:27:05 AM EDT
I have a group of 8 friends that all shoot together.  For Christmas, I thought it might be cool to give each of them a nice tacticool folding knife.

Budget is around $175 per knife.  All of the knives will be the same, and US made is mandatory.

I don't know a lot about knives.  

What do you guys recommend?

Any recommendations on where to buy them?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:04:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Has to be a folder?

If not, you may look into the ESEE line of fixed blades.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
If automatic knives are legal where they live I would recommend one of those.  Blade HQ is a good place to start.  Some good ones are ProTech, Benchmade, Spyderco and Microtech to name a few.  You should be able to get a real nice one for $175-$200.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:58:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Folder is probably more practical. +1 for BladeHQ. I'd probably go with a smaller Benchmade or Spyderco unless these people are all military bros / knife people. Average person would probably be more likely to carry a small, light folder. Not sure if your shooting buddies are tactical operators or Fudds.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Would definitely prefer folder.

The guys range in age from 15 - 50.  Some are former .mil (USMC door kicker recent and a USMC retired).  Some of the younger guys are about to, or planning on entering the .mil soon and the rest of us are 40 yr olds playing seal team 6 at the sand pit.

It's a great group of guys that has a lot of fun together.  It's a father and his sons, guys who work in the same industry, and a few guys we met randomly, who turned out to be instant friends (the Marines).

We shoot together, help each other, bust each others balls and have each others backs.  If someone's house, car, insert any type of need for even minor assistance, one if not all of the guys are one their way, with out the need to be asked.

I thought this year for Christmas it might be a nice gesture to get a nice, common, well made knife to throw on our kits.  Obviously they older guys only play operator on weekends as they relive their youth, but the younger guys, I would imagine might actually take this thing into the service with them.

Been spending some time on the BladeHQ website, and the Benchmade 275 Adamas seems to keep catching my eye.

I wonder if they do any discounting for an order of 8-10 knives?
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything benchmade
I like the 950 rift
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#6]
benchmade adamas

spyderco manix 2/PM2

Zero tolerance 0350, 0200 (or other zt of your preference)

If you think they would appreciate a stouter knife, get the ZT/adamas/manix suggestions.  If they would prefer a slicer, get the PM2
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
benchmade adamas

spyderco manix 2/PM2

If you think they would appreciate a stouter knife, get the ZT/adamas/manix suggestions.  If they would prefer a slicer, get the PM2
View Quote

I was also considering the Zero Tolerance ZT300/ZT350. I realize the ZT300 puts me a little out of the budget, but if it's of a higher quality than a $170 counterpart, that's ok.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was also considering the Zero Tolerance ZT300/ZT350. I realize the ZT300 puts me a little out of the budget, but if it's of a higher quality than a $170 counterpart, that's ok.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
benchmade adamas

spyderco manix 2/PM2

Either one would be very good for what you seek.  Good steel.  Good locks, strong designs.  I have a 0350 which I like quite a bit and am impressed with the build quality of.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I have had a lot of Benchmades and they either broke, were lost due to crappy pocket clip or I gave them away. I don't miss a single one of them. I like my Strider AR but it's too big and heavy for anything other than deployments. Most of the ZT knives I've handled are too bulky for my taste as well.

I've carried an Emerson SOCFK for about 14 years and it's still running strong. It's small and light enough to carry everyday. Conversely its strong as hell. The WAVE feature is great. I carry mine weak side for a reverse draw. This allows me to use it in a similar fashion to the KaBar TDI for weapons retention.

It is a little over your budget at $187 but midway has free shipping on them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2929142454/emerson-socfk-b-folding-tactical-knife-34-tanto-point-154cm-stainless-steel-blade-g-10-handle-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has to be a folder?

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Walmart usually has Kershaw and Gerber Christmas packaging. Always inexpensive.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Something to think about some people consider it bad luck to give a knife as a gift.

As for knives the Kershaw s30v folders are nice like the blur.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Something to think about some people consider it bad luck to give a knife as a gift.

View Quote

I've never heard of that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've heard this before.  Everyone needs to buy them from me for $1.00.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a look at Zero Tolerance - a 566 black wash carbon fiber model is $166 at Kershawguy.  For a little more you could pick up an 801 at $192, or for $180 a 770cf.  They have lots of great choices in that price range.

Kershawguy also has black blade 560's for $199 - that's a steal when they usually go for $260.  I think they're eventually going to discontinue the model.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have had a lot of Benchmades and they either broke, were lost due to crappy pocket clip or I gave them away. I don't miss a single one of them. I like my Strider AR but it's too big and heavy for anything other than deployments. Most of the ZT knives I've handled are too bulky for my taste as well.

I've carried an Emerson SOCFK for about 14 years and it's still running strong. It's small and light enough to carry everyday. Conversely its strong as hell. The WAVE feature is great. I carry mine weak side for a reverse draw. This allows me to use it in a similar fashion to the KaBar TDI for weapons retention.

It is a little over your budget at $187 but midway has free shipping on them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2929142454/emerson-socfk-b-folding-tactical-knife-34-tanto-point-154cm-stainless-steel-blade-g-10-handle-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding
View Quote

I would concur on the Emerson.

I have a Benchmade Emerson CQC that was my EDC for 10 years.  Tough as hell.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Since you asked,
I would like another
ESEE -4!

PM me for my mailing address.

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Benchmade or Zero Tolerance.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto on not being familiar with the red part above.  Good thing I only buy myself knives =)

Gotta suggest steering away from ye olden s30v in general.  Unless the gift recipients are good at sharpening, it's just a frustrating headache waiting to happen as the knife gets dull.  The ESEE option suggested earlier would be fantastic gifts.  Quality, easy to maintain, etc.  Izula's are especially useful day to day and you can sweeten them up a bit with some aftermarket scales all well within your planned budget.  

Disclaimer:  I've got two 0350's, a Blur, and Spyderco Military in s30v.  Swore it off months ago.  Ordered an s30v Paramilitary 2 yesterday.  So I suck at following my own advice.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
benchmade adamas

View Quote

It's one hell of an overbuilt tank of a knife for the money.  I love mine, but it may be too big and heavy for a lot of people to carry every day.  I don't know if everyday carry is a concern, though.  

Like has been mentioned already, the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 is a good choice if they want better cutting performance.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#21]
The ZT 0566 would be a great compromise.  Small enough to EDC, but tough enough to beat the shit out of.  About $150 from most vendors.  Elmax is a great steel. Easy to get sharp and stays that way.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Spyderco Paramilitary 2  ~$120
Second link

It has a few options re: scales and blade finish...

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The ZT 0566 would be a great compromise.  Small enough to EDC, but tough enough to beat the shit out of.  About $150 from most vendors.  Elmax is a great steel. Easy to get sharp and stays that way.
View Quote

This or a Benchmade (Adamas, Contego, 710)
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me either. I'm cursed then
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Has to be a folder?

View Quote

Nailed it.

And nowhere near $175 each but the Spyderco Tenacious is a great EDC knife.

Bought them for my Groomsmen and they love them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#26]
So I went with 10 - Zero Tolerance ZT 0200ST for the guys.  It was under $150, tacticool enough for the guys, made in the US, and AVAILABLE.

I tried getting many of the others mentioned and had a hard time actually putting a package of 10 together without having to order from 5 different vendors.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So I went with 10 - Zero Tolerance ZT 0200ST for the guys.  It was under $150, tacticool enough for the guys, made in the US, and AVAILABLE.

I tried getting many of the others mentioned and had a hard time actually putting a package of 10 together without having to order from 5 different vendors.
View Quote

I actually was going to suggest the 0200! Do not own one, yet, but I have handled them and like them
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

You sir, give amazing gifts.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're a great group of guys and I'm grateful to know them.  We also have a lot of fun when we get together.

It means a lot to me to be able to show them how I appreciate and value their friendship.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice choice.  I dont see any reason they wont love them.  Can I be your friend next year?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

All they have to do to counter bad luck is give a coin in return.

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#32]
The guys loved the knives.  I made them all buy them from me for $1.00 and then took the cash and bought them all coffees.

We then spent the rest of the day building a AR15 for one of the guys who had never built one before.  Took a ride to the lgs to pickup a few parts needed for the build.

All in all it was a great Saturday!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys.  Great suggestions and I'm real happy with the ZT knives.  Now I'm considering a few more for myself!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:06:29 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The guys loved the knives.  I made them all buy them from me for $1.00 and then took the cash and bought them all coffees.

We then spent the rest of the day building a AR15 for one of the guys who had never built one before.  Took a ride to the lgs to pickup a few parts needed for the build.

All in all it was a great Saturday!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys.  Great suggestions and I'm real happy with the ZT knives.  Now I'm considering a few more for myself!!
View Quote

WELL DONE!!!!!  

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top