Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2014 5:25:50 PM EDT
My brother is a student Naval Flight Officer right now, and I have been selected to attend OCS with the same designation.  We want to buy a knives to carry while flying with these criteria:
- auto opener

- a glass breaking tip on the grip

- high quality

Thinking a budget of $300-350.  I am not a knife guy so suggestions are highly appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The usual glass breaker might not have any affect on a cockpit window.  Something to cut straps and cords is good.  Will they also want to cut through a fuselage?  General use for survival after an uncontrolled landing or ejection?  They will probably be issued something, my brother was as a crew member but it was a 'swiss army knife' style with a self-opening main blade.  Plus, any form of self-opening or variation of may be regulated in many places.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Swedish Pilot survival knife > Fallkniven F1 - fixed blade, full tang with a portion of the tang exposed at the pommel.  You can buy 2 within you budget and have some $ left over...  sheaths are available in leather and zytel and left or right side carry.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
When I flew in the USAF, I carried a Benchmade tanto/serrated folder in my boot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I flew in the USAF, I carried a Benchmade tanto/serrated folder in my boot.
View Quote

I don't know about the USAF, but there are several Benchmade autos that are U.S. Army issue.

Something like the 9101 or the AFO with a (partially) serrated blade.  A Tanto profile is desirable since it is designed for piercing (metal, canopies, etc.).  Aircraft "glass" doesn't shatter like auto and other glass so unless you specifically want to get into/out of cars, the glass breaker tip doesn't have much military utility.

You can use your brother's creds to get access to military only models and a discount.

While the folders are much handier due to their small size, the only other thing I would consider if looking for a (reasonably priced) dedicated survival knife is the ESEE-5 but it is a big knife and they are difficult to wear.  I've seen ground guys run them on vests but I couldn't imagine a pilot wearing one on his/her vest.  One of the smaller ESEEs might be acceptable.  Again, military discount available.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The usual glass breaker might not have any affect on a cockpit window.  Something to cut straps and cords is good.  Will they also want to cut through a fuselage?  General use for survival after an uncontrolled landing or ejection?  They will probably be issued something, my brother was as a crew member but it was a 'swiss army knife' style with a self-opening main blade.  Plus, any form of self-opening or variation of may be regulated in many places.
View Quote
It is for survival.  Each crew member is allowed a certain amount of weight in personal gear which includes their choice of sidearm and knife (according to my brother).  

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:30:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't know about the USAF, but there are several Benchmade autos that are U.S. Army issue.

Something like the 9101 or the AFO with a (partially) serrated blade.  A Tanto profile is desirable since it is designed for piercing (metal, canopies, etc.).  Aircraft "glass" doesn't shatter like auto and other glass so unless you specifically want to get into/out of cars, the glass breaker tip doesn't have much military utility.

You can use your brother's creds to get access to military only models and a discount.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those tanto points look strong.  Thanks for the suggestion, those look very functional.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can tolerate a fixed blade, a DPX Heft 4 "assault" (black coated blade) or "milspec" (uncoated blade) might be another consideration.

DPX also makes a folder with a frame lock called a HEST folder MilSpec >>>

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
See my edit re:  survival.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you can tolerate a fixed blade, a DPX Heft 4 "assault" (black coated blade) or "milspec" (uncoated blade) might be another consideration.

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/images-extra/1377.jpg

http://x-gear.com.ua/products_thumb/dpx-hest-milspec-1.jpg
View Quote

I was going to throw the H.E.S.T. in my list, as well.  I have the original H.E.S.T. and am trying to find a folding H.E.S.T.  Have a link?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Forgot to mention that ESEE will also customize the micarta scales:  mine has my blood type, NKA (No Known Allergies) and battle roster number (BRN; first two initials, last 4 of SSN; don't know if the USN uses BRNs that but it's fairly standard practice).
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a Bark River Gunny? I'd be more interested in a knife that's good for after a crash, than for escaping from a crash, but that might just be me.

BTW, aircraft canopies are probably going to be unaffected by any glass-breaker tip, if that's why you wanted it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was going to throw the H.E.S.T. in my list, as well.  I have the original H.E.S.T. and am trying to find a folding H.E.S.T.  Have a link?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.workwearcanada.com/products/images-extra/1377.jpg

http://x-gear.com.ua/products_thumb/dpx-hest-milspec-1.jpg

Sure!    THIS is a link to the Knife Connection DPX page...  Some are not in stock but this HEST Folder 2.0 OD Right Hand is IN stock...

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
God I wish DPx would drop the stupid looking flat brimmer bro skull. The heft looks like a great knife otherwise.

Esee alsomakes aawesome knives

Using your original criteria  look at the auto triage by benchmade. Glass breaker, auto and strap cutters.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Uhh.  This worked just fine in the late 60's early 70's.  I imagine it will still do whatever is needed.

Or perhaps this if you can find one.  They were discontinued several years ago.

Or, of you want to go with the Rolls Royce (or Bentley if that's you thing)

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My brother is a student Naval Flight Officer right now, and I have been selected to attend OCS with the same designation.  We want to buy a knives to carry while flying with these criteria:- auto opener
- high quality

Thinking a budget of $300-350.  I am not a knife guy so suggestions are highly appreciated!
View Quote

----->  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chris-Reeve-Professional-Soldier-CPM-35VN-Plain-Edge-Fixed-Blade-/271684260132?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item3f41a4d124
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#16]
imo i like my benchmade mini barrage. it fits most of the criteria but not the glass braking tip but that doesn't seem like something he needs in a plain.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Mini-Barrage-586S-Spring--16999
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My brother is a student Naval Flight Officer right now, and I have been selected to attend OCS with the same designation.  We want to buy a knives to carry while flying with these criteria:

- auto opener
View Quote

- high quality

Just a few thoughts from an old AF C-130 FE.
Have you been to your survival school yet?  Might want to wait until you
go and get some firsthand with issued gear before making any decisions
on purchases now.  With regards to personal survival kits, generally
they are a "last line kit" you always have on your body, or they are in
addition to/ in support of an issued kit.  And past the basics, what you
consider more important to carry may differ slightly from others points
of view.
If you're going to be on an aircraft with an ejection seat, whatever
knife you get for your psk will have to be secured.  And by that I don't
mean in a sheath carried on the flight suit's velcro waist cincher or
just clipped onto the edge of your boot top - might get ripped right off
in the ejection process.  If you'll be wearing a "G-suit", not sure if
modern versions have a pocket for a small folder.  Flight suits used to
have a small pocket for a small folder on the inner thigh.  Not large enough a pocket to carry anything very large.
Do your issued survival vests/ seat kits not already have a fixed-blade?
 Might want to check and see what is to be issued before making a
choice.  If they do, you might give thought to a small folder  that can
be used for smaller, more delicate tasks, and either a small fixed-blade
or more robust folder for use as backup for the issued fixed-blade.  
Sometimes, something as basic as one of the one-handed opening Swiss Army Knives work
wonderfully as a companion knife.

Mr Murphy might decide to accompany
you if you find yourself in a no-shit survival situation, so some
backups of the most essential items like fire making tools, decent
cutlery, compass, etc... might be in your thought process.  And please
take the time to learn and practice map and compass, fire making, and
how to properly use a knife without breaking it.  The issued knife might
not handle abuse as easily as an ESEE or such.
Glass breaking tips...  Aircraft windscreens and laminated glass/ poly
panels are quite robust and the amount of energy to actually break
through them isn't small (ours were five layers of glass and laminate).
Think "large eagle hitting the windscreen  at a combined speed of over
300 mph and penetrating the flight deck" type of energy.  We had crash
axes located at several locations on the Hercs, to be used to hack our
way out of the aircraft if exits were blocked or inoperable.  There were
designated spots with minimal obstruction so we could hack through the
thin aluminum skin easier, and not take enough time to overly increase
danger of getting stuck in the aircraft.  I'd imagine trying to do it
with the butt/ blade of a knife would get exhausting quickly, and take
significantly longer than it would with a tool designed for that
purpose.

Also note, you'd probably be hacking out of an aircraft after a
crash - not airborne - and the chance of you already being injured
needs to be considered.  So I'm not sure if a glass breaking point would
prove very useful.  Personally, for a fixed-blade survival knife, I'd prefer a flat nut or plate on the end of the pommel.  But that's me.
Blade type.  For a survival knife, I'd lean more towards something with more of a kinda spear point/ clip drop point combo.  It's primary purpose isn't fighting or hacking your way out of an aircraft - it's needed to do a wide variety of tasks from collecting firewood and kindling, to building shelter, to making/ repairing clothing, to cleaning and eating wildlife, etc...  Tanto blades are strong for thrusting and piercing, not as good at finer shaving and cutting tasks.  Too much of a clip point and the tip is easily damaged/ broken.  And no one knife is perfect at everything, which is one reason why I suggested a combo of small folder like a SAK and a more robust folder/ small fixed-blade if you have the space and can tolerate the extra weight every day all day every single time you get in an aircraft.
Firearms.  Maybe the Navy is different, but when I served we were only allowed to carry what issued weapons we were qualified to shoot.  No personal firearms.  Now, if the Navy allows you to choose from a variety of issued weapons...
Some things have changed over the years with regards to gear and training and rules, so IMHO and YMMV.
Yeah, holy wall of text batman, yada yada yada, and all that jazz.
Enjoy the schools and the experiences!  

edited due to a brain fart

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I fly with a dpx hest folder, but I've had it for a long time and I didn't want to buy anything else.

The T6 canopy is pretty tough and hopefully the detcord does it's job.

You have a quite a while until you get to primary though, good luck.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Wasn't the ESEE 5 designed to be an pilot's survival knife?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Benchmade auto triage. I have the non-auto version and love it.
If you sign up on their website as MIL you can get a discount too. I believe they have a couple of models with a NSN, you may be able to order through your supply system.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Wait until you get to the fleet.  You're probably going to buy the wrong item because you don't know what will be issued at your squadron.  Save your money, then get something you really need when you figure it out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I've carried an Infidel every day for 3 years now, and I'm not very easy on it. It's been problem free, and I'd have no problem using it for what your brother is looking for.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Just wanted to reply so you guys know I am reading all the suggestions.  While it will be June/July before I even get done with OCS, my brother is actively flying (T-6 currently) and wants to add a personal knife to his flight gear.  I don't know exactly what he has been issued but I will ask him the next time we talk.

He said he is planning on putting his inside a pocket that runs on the inside of his left leg.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Uhh.  This worked just fine in the late 60's early 70's.  I imagine it will still do whatever is needed.

<a href="http://s49.photobucket.com/user/Jeepnik/media/Knifes/AirForceKnife.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Jeepnik/Knifes/AirForceKnife.jpg</a>

Or perhaps this if you can find one.  They were discontinued several years ago.
http://www.roedter-messer.de/homepagepics/chris-reeve-shad.jpg

Or, of you want to go with the Rolls Royce (or Bentley if that's you thing)
<a href="http://s49.photobucket.com/user/Jeepnik/media/Knifes/RANDALLATTACK.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Jeepnik/Knifes/RANDALLATTACK.jpg</a>

View Quote

That top one was in my SV-2 when I retired in 2002 and is gtg. Use your personal weight to carry more water.

ETA: As a Navy flyer, the thing you will most likely have the most need of if you punch out/bailout/ditch is fresh water. Don't sweat the knife, one will be sewn into your SV-2.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#25]
microtech socom or mini socom auto
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:34:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Just wanted to reply so you guys know I am reading all the suggestions.  While it will be June/July before I even get done with OCS, my brother is actively flying (T-6 currently) and wants to add a personal knife to his flight gear.  I don't know exactly what he has been issued but I will ask him the next time we talk.

View Quote

He said he is planning on putting his inside a pocket that runs on the inside of his left leg.  

Might want to consider DrJekell's post just above.
If your
brother is set on getting a knife, unless they've changed the size of
that pocket, he won't be getting a large knife in there.
I
carried an earlier version of the SAK "Camper" in that pocket for 16
years.  It got pulled out and used for something several times a week.  
Something like the SAK One-Handed Trekker might fit - not sure about
anything larger.

I know they're not tactical and that's what many people seem to want, nor are they a full multi-tool, but I always found a good SAK to be a sensible balance and quite useable, in a size that will fit that space.
IMHO and YMMV

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#27]

I talked to my brother in greater detail about his needs and it really sounded like he just wants a cool knife, but otherwise he is set.  I bought him this for Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Great choice...I'm sure your bro will love it! Good luck and stay safe.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice pick as a present. Just FYI, this is what used to be issued to fit in the small pocket on a g-suit. I'm not sure if it still is the issue knife.

Of note, a small right of initiation for USAF fighter pilots was to get the flight suit pocket for this knife ripped off. (redundant as it's useless, inaccessible while wearing a g-suit, which has the pocket attached)

So consider the size if purchasing a knife you will carry in cockpit.

My recommendation for a working knife would be to wait until you get through SERE school to make a choice, and determine if there's a size limitation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

My youngest is a 130 pilot. He went with the biggest folder that fit in the inner leg pocket. I had a new CRKT Crawford Falcon that fit the bill perfectly.  It's been thru three deployments, so far.  
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top