Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2014 1:11:17 AM EDT
So there are tons of polymer knives and stabbing tools out there.  I am not trying to debate these over steel, steel wins every time, but suffice to say last ditch a polymer bush blade will make a hole just fine.  Are these things considered weapons/knives.  I am currently in IL if that matters.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...Are these things considered weapons/knives?
View Quote
The TSA thinks so...  you won't like it if they catch you trying to smugle one into the passenger compartment of a commercial aircraft...  checked bags are OK though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:22:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The TSA thinks so...  you won't like it if they catch you trying to smugle one into the passenger compartment of a commercial aircraft...  checked bags are OK though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TSA considers them concealable knives so if they think you are trying to smuggle them on the plane purpose the FBI is getting involved and you might get to spend some time in club Fed
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 2:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
So what about EDC
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So what about EDC
View Quote

why?  They are essentially one time use, single purpose items.  

Steel knives will be useful for what you will use a knife for on a daily basis and still be useful as a defensive tool.  The only reason to have one is to get through a metal detector......and usually those places are really punitive about weapons.

You'd be better off finding an non-weapon-looking item that is specifically permitted that is "dual purpose" so that you can't get legally fucked.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I think you should assume a polymer knife will be treated as stringently as (if not more so than) a steel knife.  So you should be asking yourself if this polymer knife would be legal to carry if it were made of steel...

I don't know anything about Illinois knife laws, but the following may be helpful:

http://www.knifeup.com/illinois-knife-law
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I just thought the spikes and such were an interesting concept and wondered if they served any real purpose.  I carry a assisted opening knife daily.  I do agree, I cant imagine trying to use this as an option to bypass security would be just dumb
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]
These are pretty sweet:
This thing here
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
These are pretty sweet:
This thing here
View Quote

Somehow I doubt those trademarks are licensed...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can carry real knives as long as its checked.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top