Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 10:57:35 PM EDT
So 'centering' is the word I have found when I did my google searches.  I hope I am using it correctly in the context of a folding knife.  I am new to this so go easy on me.

My questions:

My Blur will just ever so slightly touch against the inside of the body opposite of the liner lock.  If I (while the blade is folded) apply a little pressure in the opposite direction of where it is touching I can open and close it without any rubbing.  After a couple times flipping it open it goes back to that very slight rubbing.

1)  Is this normal and I am just nit picking?
2)  If it isn't normal can I adjust it in some way?
3)  Are these screws torx?  If not what do I get to take it apart?
4)  I hear Kershaw has a great warranty, should I just send it to them and have them look at it if this is an issue?

Thanks for your time and help arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a decent picture showing the blade and where it is touching:

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't expect collector grade centering from a mass production knife, but if it bugs you, call them up and see if they'll fix it for you. I'm sure they will take care of it for you. I had warranty work done to un-pimp a knife I got in trade - I offered to pay for the unfucking, they sent me the parts to do it myself for free.

It would bug me enough to call them.

ETA (after the picture was added): that's pretty bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, is this normal?  There is bare metal on the top part of the blade here.  This is the Tanto Tiger non-blem btw:

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't expect collector grade centering from a mass production knife, but if it bugs you, call them up and see if they'll fix it for you. I'm sure they will take care of it for you. I had warranty work done to un-pimp a knife I got in trade - I offered to pay for the unfucking, they sent me the parts to do it myself for free.

It would bug me enough to call them.

ETA (after the picture was added): that's pretty bad.
View Quote

Rgr.  I will give them a call.  The bare metal is odd as well.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Also, is this normal?  There is bare metal on the top part of the blade here.  This is the Tanto Tiger non-blem btw:
View Quote

if that's where the lock engages, yes, it's normal.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep it appears to be where it engages.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
They are asking me to send it in.

Thanks for the information!
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#8]
As far off as that is, I cant imagine the pjvot screw is even remotely tightened down.  Looks loose as hell.  2 seconds with a screwdriver should fix it easily.  And yup, theyre torx.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had quite a bit of luck centering stubborn blades using the following method.

So you loosen your screws and stick a piece of folded up paper on the side that is rubbing.  Then you tighten your screws back up with the paper in there.  Remove the paper and see if it fixes.  95% of the time I've done this it's fixed any issues I had.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've had quite a bit of luck centering stubborn blades using the following method.

So you loosen your screws and stick a piece of folded up paper on the side that is rubbing.  Then you tighten your screws back up with the paper in there.  Remove the paper and see if it fixes.  95% of the time I've done this it's fixed any issues I had.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Argh, that might have saved me the shipping to Kershaw.  It is in their hands now to repair.  Great information for the future though.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Argh, that might have saved me the shipping to Kershaw.  It is in their hands now to repair.  Great information for the future though.  Thank you.
View Quote

Did it come back fixed up?
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top