Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 3:31:03 PM EDT
Went to a gunshow today and came out with a new knife. Got it for what I thought was a pretty good price for a nice looking and sharp knife. Don't know all that much about Damascus blades so I figured I'd turn to the experts here. Is it a good blade? I'll post a few pictures here:
</a>"

ETA: I have had an account for years here, had to get a new one so don't hate me too much for being a 14r and also why won't the pictures come through correctly?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Need more information.  Who made it?  What materials were used in the blade?  How much did it cost?? The handle looks like buffalo horn.  No thong tube, hard to see the fits along tang.  First gut inclination was Pakistan or India.  Lots of that stuff out there.  Low prices yes.  Good quality??  That is a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need more information.  Who made it?  What materials were used in the blade?  How much did it cost?? The handle looks like buffalo horn.  No thong tube, hard to see the fits along tang.  First gut inclination was Pakistan or India.  Lots of that stuff out there.  Low prices yes.  Good quality??  That is a crap shoot.
View Quote

Not sure of makers name. Material was not told/didn't think to ask (newb move in the moment). Cost $55 after haggling down from $75. Handle is buffalo horn. Fits along tang? I can post a picture of the tang in a few. And you aren't far off the guy who made it is from that area. Said he made it himself though. And good quality would be great, but with all knives i probably won't use it extremely hard. So as long as it holds up to the occasional use its more for looks at this point.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
" />
Here's the tang of the knife
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
There are posters here that know a lot more about this stuff than I do, but it looks like one of the knives on ebay from India or Pakistan.  Some people change the scales, and call it a "custom" knife.
Looks very similar to this one:
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are posters here that know a lot more about this stuff than I do, but it looks like one of the knives on ebay from India or Pakistan.  Some people change the scales, and call it a "custom" knife.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/aplehr1/EB_zpse8cbe13e.jpg
View Quote

That looks to be pretty much the exact same knife, quick search on ebay showed the same deal. Thanks for the lead! So does this mean I got pretty much screwed paying $50 for the knife or was it just kind of a decent deal for what it is?
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That looks to be pretty much the exact same knife, quick search on ebay showed the same deal. Thanks for the lead! So does this mean I got pretty much screwed paying $50 for the knife or was it just kind of a decent deal for what it is?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/aplehr1/EB_zpse8cbe13e.jpg

I don't have any personal experience with these knives, but I've heard they're usually pretty soft, if they're heat treated at all.  Some people have knives that cost thousands of dollars that sit in a safe, and never get used.  Nothing wrong with buying a knife because you like the way it looks.  Use it, then decide for yourself if it's worth $50.  Maybe you over-paid a little, but I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#7]
a good clue that it isn't a custom is the lack of a makers mark, which is also a good clue that it's also not a production knife from a reputable source.

if the seller can't tell you what steel it is and what the approximate harness is, don't buy.  

in general:  no makers mark, no information/no knowledge from seller, no buy.  just a thought.  when you run into a maker that you don't recognize, google them on your smart phone before you put down cash.

The other thing is that if you are getting a good damascus blade, it's going to cost more than $50 if it's a custom.  With almost 100% certainty, it's going to be >$100 unless you are buying a used knife from a guy who needs to sell fast.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
a good clue that it isn't a custom is the lack of a makers mark, which is also a good clue that it's also not a production knife from a reputable source.

if the seller can't tell you what steel it is and what the approximate harness is, don't buy.  

in general:  no makers mark, no information/no knowledge from seller, no buy.  just a thought.  when you run into a maker that you don't recognize, google them on your smart phone before you put down cash.

The other thing is that if you are getting a good damascus blade, it's going to cost more than $50 if it's a custom.  With almost 100% certainty, it's going to be >$100 unless you are buying a used knife from a guy who needs to sell fast.
View Quote

Good information. I used it a little bit and it seems to cut decently. But I agree in hindsight I bought too quickly without doing my research. Oh well like I said earlier even if it doesnt have a great quality its still interesting to look at IMO and I will probably put it in my knife box to look at.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good information. I used it a little bit and it seems to cut decently. But I agree in hindsight I bought too quickly without doing my research. Oh well like I said earlier even if it doesnt have a great quality its still interesting to look at IMO and I will probably put it in my knife box to look at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please don't take anything I said to remove your enjoyment.  More just trying to help you in the future when dealing with blades.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Please don't take anything I said to remove your enjoyment.  More just trying to help you in the future when dealing with blades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh no its fine! I still love the knife I think its beautiful. I definitely appreciate all the information you gave!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
When I did the Custom Knife Show circuit a good rule of thumb was $100.00 per blade inch for a custom damascus fixed blade that wasn't fancy. Start adding file work, pearl or mammoth ivory scales, mokume bolsters or guards and the prices could reach 1k or more. Material costs have went up considerably for the folders I do so that rule of thumb may be way to low now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I did the Custom Knife Show circuit a good rule of thumb was $100.00 per blade inch for a custom damascus fixed blade that wasn't fancy. Start adding file work, pearl or mammoth ivory scales, mokume bolsters or guards and the prices could reach 1k or more. Material costs have went up considerably for the folders I do so that rule of thumb may be way to low now.
View Quote

Yeah that is what I have seen after looking more into it. Im guessing the steel in this blade is either a very cheap version of damascus? Or more likely a regular steel blade with acid etching on it? Either way i think its cool looking and didnt really buy it as a user anyway. Thanks for the information!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
That is the key.  If you like it then it is worth it.  At least they are not trying to sell them for hundreds or even thousands.  So far as the guy making it himself,  well take that for what it is worth (doubtful).
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just got on a waitlist for a 9" feather pattern bowie. Your estimate is pretty close.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top