Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2014 6:36:06 AM EDT
The M-9 bayonet is such a large/heavy bayonet. Just wondering if they are still carried by soldiers in combat?
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I know a guy who, as either a Mech Inf Company XO or an Intel Company CO (Army, and I've never gotten that detail settled), had his troops fix bayonets in Iraq to keep an unruly crowd away from their position.
Apparently it worked with an efficacy unmatched by bare-muzzle rifles.

But I think that was a pretty uncommon event, and I doubt the weight is worth it to Willie and Joe when they're actually in the field.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 3:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The only guy I ever saw with a bayonet in Iraq was a contractor that was a bit on the goofy side.  Looked funny rattling around on his 16 inch barrel DPMS semiauto carbine, but he was happy with it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know a guy who, as either a Mech Inf Company XO or an Intel Company CO (Army, and I've never gotten that detail settled), had his troops fix bayonets in Iraq to keep an unruly crowd away from their position.
Apparently it worked with an efficacy unmatched by bare-muzzle rifles.

But I think that was a pretty uncommon event, and I doubt the weight is worth it to Willie and Joe when they're actually in the field.
View Quote

We had to do the same iraqis were deathly afraid of knives, swords. and blades- we had a Japanese army major with us for a few weeks who carried a large sword none of the workers would get near him.

to the OP's original question we normally put the m9 in the radio pouch of the ruck and left it there.  they are always dull impossible to sharpen,    I found the USMC is pretty much doing the same with the new OCK3S as well.

if its any use no one carried fixed blade knives but we all had folders or multi tools
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Missouri's SOP for deployment is to leave the bayonets in the arms room and deploy without them.   One less property book item that will get lost, I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 10:30:30 PM EDT
[#5]
One tour as a PL in Iraq and one as a Company Commander. None of my guys ever asked for one to be issued. If you wanted a fixed blade you brought your own. I normally carried a Cold Steel SRK.

That being said I think I remeber the Brits doing a bayonet charge or two. We don't even teach how to use a bayonet anymore.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are there any surplus ones on the market?
View Quote

yes mostly phobis II & phobis III.  even OKC3S are showing up at drmo auctions
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Didn't Obama say we did not need them anymore?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:48:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The M-9 bayonet is such a large/heavy bayonet. Just wondering if they are still carried by soldiers in combat?
View Quote

The Marines still carry and use the OKC3S; the Army normally does not even issue their bayonet out anymore.

The Marines have used bayonets in the GWOT

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]
None of our guys ever got them issued out.  I don't think we'd have carried them if they did.  Plenty of guys carried their own knives, either fixed blade or folding, but none of them wanted one on their rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's actually already on my wish list! I was thinking more along the line of inexpensive military surplus
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's actually already on my wish list! I was thinking more along the line of inexpensive military surplus

I hear ya.  It's been in my wish list for a long time.  Hard to spend the money without knowing for sure that the zombies are really coming.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 6:46:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
None of our guys ever got them issued out.  I don't think we'd have carried them if they did.  Plenty of guys carried their own knives, either fixed blade or folding, but none of them wanted one on their rifle.
View Quote

Ours were, Marcelle was the only one dumb enough to carry it. The rest of us left them in our tough boxes on BAF that we never saw. Waste of space, I had a big fixed blade I carried for one patrol, and that was enough to teach me it was stupid to carry a big heavy knife.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ours were, Marcelle was the only one dumb enough to carry it. The rest of us left them in our tough boxes on BAF that we never saw. Waste of space, I had a big fixed blade I carried for one patrol, and that was enough to teach me it was stupid to carry a big heavy knife.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, why wouldn't he?
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Marines still carry and use the OKC3S; the Army normally does not even issue their bayonet out anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When we took over FOB Hotel from the Marines in Najaf, I replaced a radio operator who was on that duty as a reward for being the only guy in his battalion to kill an Iraqi with a bayonet. He mostly sat there, reading a stack of Maxim magazines and grunted responses into the handset. Pretty cool guy once you got him talking, though.

We brought a box full of M9 bayonets with us, but nobody ever signed one out. I had a Ka-Bar that I used to chop up shit that was too big to cram into my burn barrel, and a few other guys had fixed blades, but they were mostly just to keep on hand to make the hajis nervous. They didn't give a shit about listening to you if you showed up with M4s and pistols, but they paid close attention to you and followed directions very quickly if you had a knife visible on your person. I used that to my advantage more than once at my ECP.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have an M-7?  It looks much more practical.  

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-6277-M7-B-Bayonet-Black/dp/B001CL8L9I/ref=pd_sim_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C2JH1FZAGGZSW0ZNQG9

M7 bayonet (wikipedia)

"The M7 Bayonet is a bayonet that was used by the U.S. military for the M16 rifle, it can also be used for the M4A1 carbine. It was introduced in 1964, when the M16 entered service during the Vietnam War.[1]

The M7 is based on the older M6 bayonet for the M14 rifle.[2] The most notable differences between the two are the diameter of the muzzle rings, and the locking mechanism. The M7's release mechanism is on the pommel, while the M6 has a spring-loaded lever near the guard that when depressed releases the bayonet. Both models are approximately the same length, have the same black finish, and use the M8A1, or later M10 sheath.

The NSN for the M7 bayonet is 1095-00-073-9238.

The M7 was partially replaced by the M9 bayonet in Army service. And the Marine Corps replaced it by the OKC-3S bayonet. The Army, Navy, and USAF still use M-7s and may do so for years to come."
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-6277-M7-B-Bayonet-Black/dp/B001CL8L9I/ref=pd_sim_sg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1C2JH1FZAGGZSW0ZNQG9

M7 bayonet (wikipedia)

"The M7 Bayonet is a bayonet that was used by the U.S. military for the M16 rifle, it can also be used for the M4A1 carbine. It was introduced in 1964, when the M16 entered service during the Vietnam War.[1]

The M7 is based on the older M6 bayonet for the M14 rifle.[2] The most notable differences between the two are the diameter of the muzzle rings, and the locking mechanism. The M7's release mechanism is on the pommel, while the M6 has a spring-loaded lever near the guard that when depressed releases the bayonet. Both models are approximately the same length, have the same black finish, and use the M8A1, or later M10 sheath.

The M7 was partially replaced by the M9 bayonet in Army service. And the Marine Corps replaced it by the OKC-3S bayonet. The Army, Navy, and USAF still use M-7s and may do so for years to come."
View Quote

I've got a few M7s, and they are all obviously high quality blades. I sharpened one of them with a few strokes on a fine stone, and it was like a razor. Nowhere near as bulky or ungainly as the M9, it's a light, handy blade that can do double duty as a fighting knife. It's not much use as a camp knife, but it wasn't really designed for that, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've got a few M7s, and they are all obviously high quality blades. I sharpened one of them with a few strokes on a fine stone, and it was like a razor. Nowhere near as bulky or ungainly as the M9, it's a light, handy blade that can do double duty as a fighting knife. It's not much use as a camp knife, but it wasn't really designed for that, anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M7 bayonet (wikipedia)

Now on my wish list.  I wonder why they switched to the M-9.  Good for Rambo, not so good for GI's.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I carried one in Iraq; nothing more than an oversized, overweight papercutter.

Plus, no bayo lug on an M249...
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Zero Tolerance made a bayonet sort of along the lines of the M9, but it was a full tang design that ended up feeling twice as heavy as the original due to the thickness of the blade. I have one that I got off of Bladeforums, and it is sharp as a motherfucker - like, scary sharp - and it will lay your shit open with the quickness if you aren't careful with it. It makes a much better field knife than the M9 because there's no way you're gonna break this thing, and it has heft enough to make chopping an easy proposition.

My only problem with it is the excess weight in the ass end, which makes it feel bulky and lifeless in hand. I'm seriously thinking about perforating the tang underneath the scales and maybe doing some jimping to the spine of the tang and part of the blade just to shave a few ounces off this thing. It's a beast of a knife, but with a little work, I think it has great potential.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Ours never left the arms room.

They were all dull rusty pieces of shit. Most carried their personally purchased fixed blades.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#23]
USMC PL here 01-02 in Afgh, and in 02-03,05-06 in Iraq my guys carried and used theirs.  Great for stand off and allot of other things, also when you didn't want to bang up your personal blade.  We practiced throwing them allot great way to kill time
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#24]

[span style='font-weight: bold;']

drmo auctions

BUCK ISSUED until mid 90s
Lanclay 96ish-2001ish
phobis until around 05
phobis II and phobis 3 until 2 or 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:19:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I stuck a guy in the chest with my M7 in Safwan after he tried to snatch my rifle through the truck window. I was pretty psyched about it at the time because I figured he took off and died somewhere, but I've since come to realize that he probably didn't even have to go to the hospital afterward.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stuck a guy in the chest with my M7 in Safwan after he tried to snatch my rifle through the truck window. I was pretty psyched about it at the time because I figured he took off and died somewhere, but I've since come to realize that he probably didn't even have to go to the hospital afterward.

Did he not have time to bleed?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top