Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2014 2:40:18 PM EDT
I'm looking for a machete to replace one that I gave to a friend a while back:

Ontario Knife Co. Model 1-18

I'm debating on whether or not to get the same thing I had last time, or to go with the shorter 12" version. This will primarily be used for hiking/camping, and will most likely be carried in a backpack mounted sheath. I've never drawn a machete from a backpack sheath before, and I'm concerned that an 18" blade would be too much for a person to draw from a backpack vertically [from directly behind your head/shoulder]? That's why I'm considering a 12" instead - but I'm worried that the shorter blade will make it less useful for cutting/chopping tasks because of its reduced length & weight?

What do you all say?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
First of all, great choice on the Ontario machetes. The 1095 steel and heat treat of OKC's milspec machetes are much better than the Asian and South American models.

The size just depends on what you plan to do with it. If you plan on doing a lot of ground clearing, get the 18" model. If you plan mainly on chopping, go with the 12" blade.

ETA: BTW, ontario-knife-store.com nearly always has the best prices on all things Ontario.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I live in the South Carolina low country. I routinely hike and hunt the swamps here and a good machete is a must. I spent several years looking for the best machete to carry on my day pack. I wanted a machete that would cut down 2-3" trees for shelter building, split wood for the fire and still work well for cutting vines and thorn laden bushes for path clearing. I found that the 18" models were great for path clearing through the thickets but too long for the pack. They did not chop heavy trees well (they work but not well enough) and they were really too long for splitting wood.
The shorter 12" models did not seem to do anything very well.
After buying and trying a pile of machetes I finally found the Condor Golok. 14" blade. Thick at the back for heavy work and thin and wide at the tip for vines. It rides on the side of my daypack just fine. Cuts through vines with ease and makes quick work of small trees and firewood. It is 1075 carbon steel and takes, and holds a razor edge. You can find them for about $50 and they come with a nice leather sheath.
If you want a general purpose machete look at the Condor. If you are strictly looking for path clearing and don't mind a machete that is longer than your pack go with the 18" Ontario as they are great for that purpose.

Page Armory » Blades
Top Top