Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2014 10:30:34 PM EDT
I found my old Benchmade 710 in one of my tool boxes.  Blade with part serrated.  Which I just found out that it is a classic.

I do not know if this has been discussed before.  What is the best way to sharpen a blade with some serrations?  I do have a sharpening stone that I use for my kitchen knives.  Do I sharpen the same way?  And if I do, then some of the black paint will scrap with the stone.  

BTW.  The more I look at it, it sure is a beautiful knife.  Designed by McHenry & Williams.  May be old.  But still useable.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Round file.  Or send to Benchmade.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#2]
The 710 is an amazing knife. I love mine.

Benchmade will not sharpen serrations  but there is a diamond serration sharpening tool out there
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 710-1 in M390 and out of 3 dozen or so folders, it's my favorite.

For sharpening serrations, you want the Lansky diamond folding rat tail sharpener. They're easy to find and about $10.

Is your 710 ATS-34 steel or D2? If its ATS-34, I'd keep it as is because they haven't made those in a long time. If its D2, sharpening those serrations is going to take some work. If you prefer a plain edge blade, Benchmade will replace it and tune up the knife for $25.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a 710-1 in M390 and out of 3 dozen or so folders, it's my favorite.

For sharpening serrations, you want the Lansky diamond folding rat tail sharpener. They're easy to find and about $10.

Is your 710 ATS-34 steel or D2? If its ATS-34, I'd keep it as is because they haven't made those in a long time. If its D2, sharpening those serrations is going to take some work. If you prefer a plain edge blade, Benchmade will replace it and tune up the knife for $25.
View Quote

Yeah. $25 is not much for an entirely new blade. The recurve plus toothy D2 edge makes it cut great without serrations.

710 plain edge was my first benchmade and I still have it. Great knife.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately there are no other numbers after the 710 right under the Benchmade butterfly insigna.  So I take it is a regular 710.  In a way, I like the serrated part.  Since it could be of great use to cut nylon cords.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unfortunately there are no other numbers after the 710 right under the Benchmade butterfly insigna.  So I take it is a regular 710.  In a way, I like the serrated part.  Since it could be of great use to cut nylon cords.
View Quote

Can you post some pics?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Is therea number on  the opposite side by where it says McHenry and Williams?

Like where this one says CPM M4 :

Or where this one says D2:

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
The blade on the McHenry side is 154CM.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool. You don't see many of those.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it was the standard before D2.

If he sent it in they'd swap it to D2
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have two of these - one black w/ serrations and one with a satin finish plain edge.

Didn't know they were scarce - I suppose due to the production range though I suspect there are lots out there.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd send it to Benchmade. Maybe have them engrave it while they have it.

I sent in an automatic with a broken spring. They repaired it, sharpened it, and engraved my name for less than the cost of a Buck knife from walmart.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I sent Benchmade an email to inquire about sharpening and a tune up to repair the spring.  I know the spring is loose whenever I open up the blade.  It opens up or swings out without any tension. Or when I close it back up, there are no resistance.  And I ask for the blade to laser engrave my name.

Now that I know that this is sort of rare, how will I know or make sure that they do not replace the blade when I send it in for tune up?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:23:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I sent Benchmade an email to inquire about sharpening and a tune up to repair the spring.  I know the spring is loose whenever I open up the blade.  It opens up or swings out without any tension. Or when I close it back up, there are no resistance.  And I ask for the blade to laser engrave my name.

Now that I know that this is sort of rare, how will I know or make sure that they do not replace the blade when I send it in for tune up?

Thanks.
View Quote

There's a form you can download and fill out on Benchmade's site. They'll only replace the blade if you request it and pay for it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#15]
School me on what is satin blade or a regular black blade?   All I see on my blade is dull black.  As if it is painted.  So I take what I have is the regular black blade?  But for $40, it's all good.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
School me on what is satin blade or a regular black blade?   All I see on my blade is dull black.  As if it is painted.  So I take what I have is the regular black blade?  But for $40, it's all good.
View Quote

Satin is a somewhat shiny silver blade.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

The bottom knife is a satin blade.

The 710 isn't an assisted knife so there shouldn't be resistance when you close it
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/duo_zpsxdwvbetz.jpg

The 710 isn't an assisted knife so there shouldn't be resistance when you close it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu199/starscr34m/duo_zpsxdwvbetz.jpg

Thanks for the pics guys.  At least I now know I got the Black blade.

So my 710 is all good.  Got me worried there.  Whew!  Now I can concentrate to have it sharpened and some other fine tuning.  Do a laser engraving.  As long as they do not change the blade.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top