Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
Author
Posted: 7/3/2013 9:18:19 PM
So I am sitting here watching Modern Marvels - "Mega Weapon Count Down", and one of the weapons listed was the tomahawk. After watching some of the benefits of having one for a SHTF scenario, I now have the itch for one.

That being said, what are some guidelines that you all feel make a great quality, durable, and functional tomahawk? Recommendation are greatly appreciated.

(Not sure if this should be in the Survival or Blades category.)

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous
thedreamer123
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2013 9:34:50 PM
I haven't really done much research but just from looks I like SOGs tomahawks and hatchets. I have some of their knives and they are pretty nice. Avoid Gil Hibben tomahawks. I've broken 3
mkboog
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2013 9:43:11 PM

Originally Posted By thedreamer123:
I haven't really done much research but just from looks I like SOGs tomahawks and hatchets. I have some of their knives and they are pretty nice. Avoid Gil Hibben tomahawks. I've broken 3

So far the majority of the ones I have come across that I liked were SOGs. While I have heard they make pretty good knives, I have not heard anything about the tomahawks. While looks is a plus, I am more interested in durability and quality.
"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous
thedreamer123
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/3/2013 11:52:56 PM
Originally Posted By mkboog:

Originally Posted By thedreamer123:

So far the majority of the ones I have come across that I liked were SOGs. While I have heard they make pretty good knives, I have not heard anything about the tomahawks. While looks is a plus, I am more interested in durability and quality.

Yeah like I said I haven't looked into their durability and quality. I have just seen pictures of them. But I'm interested to see what other people who know more about them say.
SonofBlammo
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2013 12:53:24 AM
I had that itch too, so I bought an H&B forge (who had some experience supplying some soldiers in 'Nam with hawks) Shawnee hawk. Very basic, but incredibly strong. It ain't tactical, but I would take it with me for SHTF
mkboog
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2013 1:48:39 PM
I kind of like that. Simple, yet functional.
Originally Posted By SonofBlammo:
I had that itch too, so I bought an H&B forge (who had some experience supplying some soldiers in 'Nam with hawks) Shawnee hawk. Very basic, but incredibly strong. It ain't tactical, but I would take it with me for SHTF
http://www.hbforge.com/images/Shawnee-350x350.jpg

Trollslayer
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2013 2:37:44 PM
I liked this one.

Link to H&B Forge
Back-Up
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2013 3:07:32 PM
[Last Edit: 7/4/2013 3:09:12 PM by Back-Up]
I've got a couple of cheap but durable tomahawks, the United Cutlery M48 and a a SOG fasthawk...I like them, but I decided to step up to a Benchmade Killian and it is worth every penny...I think I would like to add an RMJ Shrike to the collection at some point, but that's about twice the cost of the Killian...these are what I would say are considered "tactical" tomahawks, if you are looking for something more traditional, the other posters should be able to point you in the right direction.
REDX
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2013 3:31:20 PM
RMJ
LAKELLY
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2013 7:43:50 PM
[Last Edit: 7/4/2013 7:44:37 PM by LAKELLY]
I've handled H&B Forge products before and they are definitely good to go. However, in a SHTF scenario I wouldn't reach for anything excpect my RMJ Shrike. It's a full one piece construction with an insulated handle in case you cut through a live wire. I have the kydex rig set up with a strap so I can just throw it on last over my shoulder. They are pricey and the wait can be a pain in the ass, but like I said, it's definitely the only one of my 'hawks that I will reach for when SHTF.

15 inch insulated handle over one piece construction - also available with a 13 inch handle - handle comes in a variety of colors

Bottom eject kydex sheath with strap attached for over the shoulder carry - I've also seen these attached to MOLLE in any sort of configuration you can imagine

Close up of the head - self defense uses aside, the head, beard and spike are very effective at ripping through just about anything including fully inflated tires

It even has a stone in the handle for blade touch ups in the field

echotwofoxtrot
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2013 8:30:43 PM
At some point I'd like to pick up a Winkler Combat Ax. Not sure when I can justify the expense but it's definitely on the list.
mkboog
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2013 8:52:40 PM
This is one of my top picks that I have come across so far, but the price is just to high for me right now. Although I would like to get one eventually.
Originally Posted By LAKELLY:
I've handled H&B Forge products before and they are definitely good to go. However, in a SHTF scenario I wouldn't reach for anything excpect my RMJ Shrike. It's a full one piece construction with an insulated handle in case you cut through a live wire. I have the kydex rig set up with a strap so I can just throw it on last over my shoulder. They are pricey and the wait can be a pain in the ass, but like I said, it's definitely the only one of my 'hawks that I will reach for when SHTF.

15 inch insulated handle over one piece construction - also available with a 13 inch handle - handle comes in a variety of colors

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7SQlHzDhGGc/UdYFlChupsI/AAAAAAAAA0Y/SVOdopVvOeM/s400/ScreenHunter_33%2520Jul.%252004%252018.16.jpg

Bottom eject kydex sheath with strap attached for over the shoulder carry - I've also seen these attached to MOLLE in any sort of configuration you can imagine

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oZ0oGLaTv9U/UdYFkePGp_I/AAAAAAAAA0U/alYtuVA7AG4/s400/ScreenHunter_32%2520Jul.%252004%252018.15.jpg

Close up of the head - self defense uses aside, the head, beard and spike are very effective at ripping through just about anything including fully inflated tires

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ntVFPNirfXE/UdYFkQNgMWI/AAAAAAAAA0M/I_COvAftbxY/s400/ScreenHunter_30%2520Jul.%252004%252018.15.jpg

It even has a stone in the handle for blade touch ups in the field

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jwtPxmMUtXw/UdYFkfj9-zI/AAAAAAAAA0E/rlD2Uilb418/s400/ScreenHunter_31%2520Jul.%252004%252018.15.jpg

razorgrind
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/4/2013 11:54:58 PM
[Last Edit: 7/4/2013 11:58:52 PM by razorgrind]
I picked up an estwing tomahawk seems to be
a good value solid one piece steel for 40 bucks.
Toothpicksandkatchup
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/5/2013 7:32:43 AM
BM Tomahawk?
Still expensive though

http://www.benchmade.com/products/172
triburst1
The One Who Knocks
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/5/2013 8:54:17 AM
The RMJs are awesome if you don't mind the price and the wait time.

If you want something more affordable, I really like my Cold Steel Trench Hawk. I've fucked up a bunch of shit with it and haven't damaged the hawk.
The true character of liberty, is independence, maintained by force. - Voltaire
LAKELLY
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/5/2013 12:30:55 PM
Originally Posted By razorgrind:

I've only read good things about these - one is definitely on my list

Originally Posted By triburst1:
The RMJs are awesome if you don't mind the price and the wait time.

If you want something more affordable, I really like my Cold Steel Trench Hawk. I've fucked up a bunch of shit with it and haven't damaged the hawk.

I have 2 Cold Steel Tomahawks and they are a SOLID value for what you pay - they are also very fun to modify
35mm_Shooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/5/2013 12:55:18 PM
Originally Posted By razorgrind:

These look like a good deal. Forged, full tang, usually you gotta pay $$$ for that.

Only question is how is the balance? It looks like there's more metal in the handle than I like. I would prefer a tapered thin tang to concentrate the weight at the head.
razorgrind
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/5/2013 6:59:42 PM
It feels pretty well balanced to me. Made in the USA
for under 50 bucks I'm happy it .I got the leather grip
probably would go with rubber next time for something grippier.
Frost61
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/5/2013 8:21:49 PM
I guess if you haven't come across American Kami hawks/axes, they're great and if your looking for higher up give them a look.
durabo
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/5/2013 11:49:29 PM
Recently picked up a CRKT Chogan hawk... its pretty effin solid. Designed by RMJ and thw price point is about max what I would spend on a piece of sharpened steel.

JohnnyC
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/6/2013 1:04:04 AM
RMJ or Omnivore Blade-Works for high end. You can buy one that will last a lifetime and tear a car to bits.

CRKT for middle of the road. (Kangee has the great edge all along the top like the Omnivore. Far more useful than you'd imagine)

Cold Steel for cheap. You can buy 30 of them and beat the piss out of them.
Hizzie
Oi! Scouts Troop 531
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/6/2013 6:32:15 AM
First identify what role you see your SHTF tomahawk being used in. Entry tool, Bushcraft or CQB. The thinner the edge/grind the better it will be for EDC tasks while the heavier duty breacher tools are more indestructible. Spiked hawks do represent a possible threat to the user with a pointy end facing the owner during use.
God hates a pussy.
~desertw0lf
ROCK6
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/6/2013 6:33:28 PM
I used an ATC VTAC in Iraq…nothing sexy, just breaking up pallets, digging up commo wire and toying around. I did a lot of traveling and it was a good companion.

I like the merits of hawks as woodcraft tools and urban breaching/extraction tools; they can make a pretty effective weapon as well.

On low end is Cold Steel; most are simple pole hawks, but very functional. My favorite is the Frontier hawk. A few variations like the Vector Hawk combine a very robust, synthetic handle to the Trail-hawk head. There are several great small production hawk makers stateside. Rageweed Forge has some great examples and good service…

As mentioned, the VTAC is the modern rendition of the LaGana tomahawk and very functional and light.

RMJ makes top of the line hawks. I have one of the first Eagle Talons and the newer Shrike; the Shrike has been used and abused, but a very stout tool. The insulated handle makes it more appropriate in an urban or sub-urban area where electrical lines may be encountered. The “full-tang” construction allows you to really put weight into it for prying.

Lastly, I recently picked up CRKT’s Kangee hawk; very impressed, to say the least, especially for the price. My son already claimed it, so I may have to pick up another if I actually want to use it. It’s less of something I would grab for bushcraft, but a great little breaching/extracting tool.

ROCK6
DevilPig
AKA: Code Three
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/6/2013 6:39:07 PM
Gerber just released a new one.

I personally would get about 5 cold steel hawks. Easily replaceable handles, steel is decent, cheap.
StevethePirate
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2013 10:16:33 PM
[Last Edit: 7/14/2013 8:50:27 AM by StevethePirate]
For fantasy SHTF, tomahawks are great. They are really not practical tools though, which will be far more useful in actual SHTF situations, imho. They are good weapons, but not great tools.

Last summer a tree top came down and blocked my front door. I thought it was a great chance to get my RMJ Kestrel dirty. It bounced right off every limb until I just said F it. I grabbed an old Estwing camp ax and the tree damn near fell apart. It's a much better tool than a high quality hawk, much cheaper, too. It might not be quite as good of a weapon, but it's much more versatile. I'd recommend a good camp ax over a tomahawk for SHTF situations.
EndlessSteven
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/13/2013 10:33:08 PM
I've had a SOG Fasthawk for a number of years (3?) and it's held up fine.

I throw it at targets, and have used it while camping for various chores. It's a nice size, and has held up really well.

Also: cheap.

Are there better out there? Sure. Better value? Not sure.
  Previous Page
Page:  / 4
ARCHIVED ARCHIVED
Armory » Blades