User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How do you feel about the texture of the scales?  Have you considered sanding them "smooth"?  I have but I'm "hesitating"...

- R -
View Quote

Nope I like them just like they are.  It might be tempted if I had a bench grinder with a buffing wheel though, G10 will take a nice high polish but not a lot of people seem to know that.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Finished updating my collection to all TKC scales. Great improvement, the izula 2 and ESEE 5 have the most improved feel to me.

My humble esee collection.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
so i placed an order on amazon for one.     of several listed several reviews said someone is making copies of these knives and selling them at esee prices.     does anyone know the difference or have seen any of these, can tell the difference?

not only that it lists this:  

link
Important Information
Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 25% Other Ingredients: Mica, Lauroyl Lysine, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tribehenin, Ceramide-2, PEG-10 Rapeseed Sterol, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Gossypium Herbaceum (Cotton), Silica, Lecithin, Allantion, Sea Salt (Maris Salt), Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Retinyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Trigylceride, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Caprylyl Glyc

Directions
Apply to face with makeup brush.
View Quote

You made me buy that.  It's too easy to just click the fast checkout button when I've been drinking.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Dremel job on the handle of my Esee 6.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://ericmcferrin.smugmug.com/photos/i-Dz2F3Ww/0/L/i-Dz2F3Ww-L.jpg
View Quote

That's one of the few times I've heard "dremel" and the results have been good.......
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://ericmcferrin.smugmug.com/photos/i-Dz2F3Ww/0/L/i-Dz2F3Ww-L.jpg
View Quote

can you post some more pics of the details?  That looks really interesting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's one of the few times I've heard "dremel" and the results have been good.......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

can you post some more pics of the details?  That looks really interesting.

Thanks guys. This mod is really quite easy, you just need to have a basic plan in mind before you begin. You'll need a Dremel tool and appropriate burr, two Bud Black Crowns, and your favorite tunes on the radio. If you screw up, proceed directly here... lol. Dale's Scales

Here a close up.

Higher Res Version

Because the Esee 6 is designed for heavy jobs like wood processing and bushwhacking, the modified scales are a real plus. Their rough texture really does enhance grip and control. They look cool too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]

My son's knife (red) and mine after a fun day outdoors
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My son's knife (red) and mine after a fun day outdoors
View Quote

Great looking paracord wraps!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Took a day off, tramped around the woods, made lunch, pounded knives through stuff. Good day.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Couldn't find my trowel. My 6 got digging and tilling duty. It was a cloudy but bright day so the black looks like grey.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got a free well used esee 4 from my boss at our cell phone shop. He had no idea where it came from or what it was. Its a serrated model and needs a really good sharpening. Also the handles have been removed and replaced with paracord so it really doesnt secure well into the sheath any more. Looks like i can get new handles straight from esee. G10 or linen? Anybody recommend a good cheap sharpener for a amateur enthusiast?

Also needs hardware to put the sheath and beltclip together. Or does anyone make a better 1 piece kydex sheath?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:58:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just got a free well used esee 4 from my boss at our cell phone shop. He had no idea where it came from or what it was. Its a serrated model and needs a really good sharpening. Also the handles have been removed and replaced with paracord so it really doesnt secure well into the sheath any more. Looks like i can get new handles straight from esee. G10 or linen? Anybody recommend a good cheap sharpener for a amateur enthusiast?

Also needs hardware to put the sheath and beltclip together. Or does anyone make a better 1 piece kydex sheath?
View Quote

Tell Godspeed you have TKC scales, and he'll build you a great sheath. I have two of his.

Scales here.
http://www.theknifeconnection.net/4-series-g10-handles/

Sheath here.
http://www.godspeedtactical.com

Edit- if those scales are too spendy for you, I could look around for my factory scales. I might still have them around.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Tell Godspeed you have TKC scales, and he'll build you a great sheath. I have two of his.

Scales here.

Sheath here.

Edit- if those scales are too spendy for you, I could look around for my factory scales. I might still have them around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scales here.

Sheath here.

Awesome thanks for the info.
I got it for free so i dont mind putting a little into it.
Ive just got a lmf 2 for my sheathed knife right now, the more i read about these, it seems like a great knife to rotate in and out
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 12:28:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Ive just got a lmf 2 for my sheathed knife right now, the more i read about these, it seems like a great knife to rotate in and out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scales here.

Sheath here.

They are great knives. The -4 is my favorite ESEE. Really like it.

The TKC scales are far superior to the factor scales. I highly recommend them. It makes the knife far more stable in the hand, and it makes the knife feel larger than it is.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tkc scales. It's worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I really don't know Why I wander into other parts of the forum. It always ends up costing me money. As of the moment of writing this post, I am not the owner of any EESE knives. I don't think it will be long now.

Am I correct in my figuring that (with all of the good things said about TKC) it is a better deal to buy a blade & scale kit from them as opposed to just buying a factory knife? The price certainly doesn't look like it is all that much more going that route...maybe a few bucks, depending on the model. If they are an eventual upgrade anyway then I might just start off with them.
I generally like micarta, but with so many people saying the shape is an improvement I may be swayed to the G10 side of things.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I really don't know Why I wander into other parts of the forum. It always ends up costing me money. As of the moment of writing this post, I am not the owner of any EESE knives. I don't think it will be long now.

Am I correct in my figuring that (with all of the good things said about TKC) it is a better deal to buy a blade & scale kit from them as opposed to just buying a factory knife? The price certainly doesn't look like it is all that much more going that route...maybe a few bucks, depending on the model. If they are an eventual upgrade anyway then I might just start off with them.
I generally like micarta, but with so many people saying the shape is an improvement I may be swayed to the G10 side of things.
View Quote

I have a set of TKC scales that I bought with a 4 in October.  They definitely feel good in the hand, a more solid, substantial feel.  Being a little longer makes a big difference in my hands.  They are pricey, but I don't regret buying them.  I've got my mind made up to get a 3 to keep in my car and I will probably get a set for that one too.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 8:51:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have a set of TKC scales that I bought with a 4 in October.  They definitely feel good in the hand, a more solid, substantial feel.  Being a little longer makes a big difference in my hands.  They are pricey, but I don't regret buying them.  I've got my mind made up to get a 3 to keep in my car and I will probably get a set for that one too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...that doesn't really help ...see, this is exactly why I need to stop clicking on new forums. "Ohh the Blade forum" ...hundreds of dollars later...
I'm trying to justify buying the scales with the knife by telling ,use lf that I'm actually saving money by buying a knife.
Knife Works sells the 4P for $90 plus shipping
TKC sells the 4P as a blade plus a set of their handles for a few cents over $99 which makes it qualify for free shipping. So it seems like a good deal to me.
Laser Strike (the other contender) is $100 with free shipping for the factory scales vs $105 as blade plus TKC scales.

Now to decide which one(s) I should get first. The Candiru looks like an interesting little fixed blade...my son's 10th birthday is coming up next month.

ETA: ahhh my fatal flaw. I was pricing the kits without a sheath.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

skip it. contact Joe at Regalia Innovations. Top notch. I have a candiru, LS, and izula. All fantastic. No 4, but i wouldnt rule one out at some point.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

skip it. contact Joe at Regalia Innovations. Top notch. I have a candiru, LS, and izula. All fantastic. No 4, but i wouldnt rule one out at some point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, they look very nice! What are his prices like?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I posted the link to his site above on this page, but if you are asking about sheath pricing for the -4, here is a direct link.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He quoted me $45 for a laser strike sheath in carbon fiber kydex, and $15 for a tek-lok, but has varying attachment methods. I will be getting him to make one for my candiru that I am making my own scales for. As noted above, godspeed does great work as well; I have heard the turnaround times are sometimes really long, but no personal experience.

Join the Esee Forum and check out the section for custom makers, there are several and its a great community.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#25]
" />

After putting on a fresh edge and a clean.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#26]
When I started this thread, I was only mildly curious if the ESEE would make the cut for my new fixed blades.

20 minutes later, I fell into too good of a deal to pass up- $90 shipped for brand new Venom ESEE 4 with sheath and a lightly used Izula with G10 scales, factory sheath, and kydex sheath.

Today could have been worse
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn this site. 2-1/2 yrs ago, after lurking the blades forum and probably seeing a thread in GD, I got the 3 w/ regular black blade and green handles.  I love it. I had been eying other models, including and especially a 4 w/ mil blade. So, I stopped at a store that carries them on the way home from a fun store where I had just dropped some coin(that's another story). The ESEE store had the 4 w/ mil blade. You all know what happened next. Mine has black blade and handle.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:13:24 AM EDT
[#28]
LOL.

Have some more TKC scales, and another 3 and 4 shipping out tomorrow later today.  

Pics sometime soon-ish after they arrive.

edit - oops

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#29]
My ESEE family out for an etch and blue. A date with a Flexxx strop tonight. planning on stripping the candiru and pinning the scales i made for it on soon, if i can find pins I like.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My ESEE family out for an etch and blue. A date with a Flexxx strop tonight. planning on stripping the candiru and pinning the scales i made for it on soon, if i can find pins I like.

http://i.imgur.com/mLlcfeh.jpg
View Quote

That is some gorgeous wood! What is it?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That is some gorgeous wood! What is it?
View Quote

Its Amboyna Burl. Pretty wood. These are the first scales ive ever made, which is why im still waffling on the attachment method.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Those are absolutely gorgeous!  You'll have to post some more pics once you get the attached and oil them up if you're going to.

I made some out of ironwood burl a while back for both my 4 and 6.  I just used epoxy and a clamp to mount mine.  If they ever get loose I'll drill them and add a pin, but they're pretty solid.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Holy Hell! I've been bested!

Those are gorgeous. I am new to all this, and like the idea of just epoxying them on. Should i fill the voids in the handle with wood cut to match or something? Or just epoxy?

Also, these are raw...what would you recommend treating them with? A clear varnish? spray lacquer? you mentioned oiling them; BLO instead of the rest of those?

I will be sure and get more pics with a real camera and some sunlight.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#34]
My attempt at some whitetail antler scales for my izula. Used the screws from the sheath as the holding screws. Plan on using something smaller in the future to use up all the antlers I have laying around.

I'm amazed at how well it came out and how perfectly it fits in my hand for how much eyeballing I did.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#35]
You guys with the wood and antler scales.  

I'm always a sucker for beautiful burls.  Very nice.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You guys with the wood and antler scales.  

I'm always a sucker for beautiful burls.  Very nice.
View Quote

+1. I love well finished fancy grade wood.

Nice looking scales guys!

Seeing that bone makes me sad I did zero shed hunting this year.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#37]
What color handles would look good on a Purple Izula?

Thinking about getting one for my daughter!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

BigDozer66
View Quote

antler of course
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

antler of course
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BigDozer66

antler of course

That antler is pretty sweet
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

BigDozer66
View Quote

I wrapped my wife's in purple paracord.

Here's another alternative.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

BigDozer66
View Quote

This is what you seek. tkc
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

BigDozer66
View Quote

Kids love izulas.

My son is crazy for his
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Kids love izulas.

My son is crazy for his
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BigDozer66

Kids love izulas.

My son is crazy for his

Yep.  My oldest carries his every day.  My 11 yo has been pestering me for a few months.  I'll order him one the next time someone has a sale.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:33:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Digging the new uncoated models.

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:06:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BigDozer66

That might just be the one!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I like the unfinished look and  wish they would offer an ESEE 3 in stainless.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I like the unfinished look and  wish they would offer an ESEE 3 in stainless.
View Quote

Me2!
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Did a new wrap on my Izula to match my turnout gear:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/adam_perdue/2015-04-21%2006.27.02_zpslvdubnw1.jpg
View Quote

What's that sheath?
Page / 24
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top