Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 2:05:45 AM EDT
Thought some of y'all might enjoy these. My first time shooting a .50 cal.

Phil's First Time Shooting a Barrett M99 #1

Barrett M99 Blast #2 Slow-Mo

Barrett M99 Blast #3 Slow-Mo

DJ's First Time Shooting a Barrett M99 Slow-Mo
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems to be awfully short distance to the berm.  Don't be this guy...
Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, we were extremely close. Weren't shooting at steel though. That guy was.

What's the recommended range to shoot these things at? It's hard enough just to find a place that'll let you shoot a .50 around here, much less one that'll let you shoot it long range.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, we were extremely close. Weren't shooting at steel though. That guy was.

What's the recommended range to shoot these things at? It's hard enough just to find a place that'll let you shoot a .50 around here, much less one that'll let you shoot it long range.
View Quote
Well, I'll put it this way...

Muzzle energy of a 9mm - 350 ft-lbs
Muzzle energy of a 44 magnum - 1200 ft-lbs
Muzzle energy of an M1 Garand (.30-06) - 3,000 ft-lbs
Muzzle energy of a 50 BMG round - 11,000 ft-lbs

Now, what distance would you be comfortable at?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:06:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I have no idea, that's why I'm asking those of y'all with .50 experience. Obviously I am comfortable shooting it into a dirt berm at 30 yards. Ranges that allow .50 are few and far between around here.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well, I'll put it this way...

Muzzle energy of a 9mm - 350 ft-lbs
Muzzle energy of a 44 magnum - 1200 ft-lbs
Muzzle energy of an M1 Garand (.30-06) - 3,000 ft-lbs
Muzzle energy of a 50 BMG round - 11,000 ft-lbs

Now, what distance would you be comfortable at?
View Quote
If your that scared of it ya might wanna rethink haveing one, if u even do. There is a healthy respect for something then just nutty. Ive found jacket pieces 200 yards back from hitting steel at 600. So guess what, dont shoot steel up close. Op said he was shooting at dirt, nothing wrong with what he was doing. :/
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
75-100yds minimum IMO.

I'm surprised anywhere with those tiny berms would let you shoot a .50!  Not much margin for error and you're the guy with an escape....  Not picking on you, just surprised the range would permit that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I am comfortable at 300 yards shooting steel with a 50bmg. For anything closer I'll stack white oak logs for a back stop and will not shoot steel. My steel targets are 1/2" AR500 but I do not want to take a chance on screwing them up either.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top