Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2016 12:19:50 AM EDT
Have seen various comments around the web about different colored tips. I am guessing that the color may indicate a different weight?

This is only for API.

ETA, After pondering this subject for a bit, I am thinking that the military designation as in M plus something or another denotes what the core is made up of and the projectile weight.

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, API has been silver tipped in both M2, 7.62, and .50 cal.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:17:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Different weights and different manufacturers, that and different countries.
View Quote

Good to see you and others show up tonight!

Can you share some of your knowledge as to what weights were produced for the API round and what you know about the color designations for that particular round?

Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually, I wish Keith would chime in as he's the guru.

Not sure on all the weights but there is was silver tip, white tip, blue tip, dark blue over light blue. Then you have some foreign rounds, Israeli had light blue over black. Not sure what  the Brits used but most kept the silver tip for API.

You can Google API .50 and you'll find the weights for these. Most run from 623grs to about 650grs depending on which version it is.
View Quote

I appreciate the comments and thank you for your sincerity in wanting to help.  

Maybe Keith will show up and elaborate on this subject.

Great to see folks show up and share their knowledge!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The problem with buying or collecting is the fact that the blue tip and dark blue over light blue is that they haven't been made since WWII.

If you can even find an M23 blue blue, you're going to pay for it! So it's not a shooter, the blue tips are getting kinda rare. When you see them for sale they usually go for $1 for just the projos. Then you have to load them up or pay someone else to do it.

The blue tips are the best when it comes to a light show. They pack about three times as much as the standard API mix.
View Quote

Not API but incendiary blue tip.

http://www.polygunbag.com/.50%20cal.%20incendiary%20bullets%20larger%20view.html

Expensive for a downrange light show.

Still curious about the API subject.

Hey, tell me something.

Are new 50 incendiary rounds or their API cousins, even being produced anymore?

I know everyone says that no more surplus is available except for old stuff.

If those rounds are still being produced, and if they aren`t available to the surplus market, I guess that they are being destroyed after some shelf life.

Is this how it is? The round is produced but we in the civilian market, have no chance of ever seeing them again.

Is there some law or treaty that prevents them from being used?

Also, the same goes for the tip components.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen API rounds for sale with a headstamp of FN 99 for sale. I'm going to ask for close up pictures. They could be reloads for all I know. I'm not sure what's up with the blue tips. I think they just use the Mk 211, API or some other caliber in place of them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:05:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:13:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've seen API rounds for sale with a headstamp of FN 99 for sale. I'm going to ask for close up pictures. They could be reloads for all I know. I'm not sure what's up with the blue tips. I think they just use the Mk 211, API or some other caliber in place of them.
View Quote

I don`t think that I have seen any video lately where a 50 is used in a helicopter gunship or some other aircraft.

From what I have seen, it is usually a 20MM, 30MM or 40MM cannon that the aircraft is equipped with. When you get right down to it, the 50 Browning, is usually always used in a Humvee or APC or some such thing. Might be why the rounds in question that we are discussing, have no purpose in being used. That may be why they are drying up in today's society.

Just taking a shot in the dark here on that subject.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That and the military wanted to standardize what ammo they were using. It's easier to have APIT and API loaded to match the ball ammo so that all of the ammo landed in a beaten zone.

AP ammo is also getting rare as the U.S. hasn't made any since WWII, the stuff you see comes from other countries that still make some. Namely Canada and their stuff is pretty good.
View Quote

Funny you should say that.

Saw some at a show a couple of years ago.

Haven`t seen any since.

On your comment of standardizing ammo, it makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 3:39:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's no incendiary round being made, just API and it's loaded to match the ball ammo.

The ammo will last for many years. When I was in the Army back in the 80's, we shot .50 ammo from WWII that looked brand new.

If it does get dumped, scrap buyers get them and break them down, then the components are usually sold on the civilian market.

If some in the government had their way, we wouldn't get access to any of this stuff! It pisses me off because they don't want it or it's no longer useful to them. So why can't we buy it and use it, collect it whatever!

Plus they make some money back selling on the civilian market. Some politicians just don't want you or me having access to military hardware. Even if it has out lived it's usefulness to the military.
View Quote

Some days it sucks to be us.
Other days, it is a joy to see them get kicked out of office!
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don`t think that I have seen any video lately where a 50 is used in a helicopter gunship or some other aircraft.

From what I have seen, it is usually a 20MM, 30MM or 40MM cannon that the aircraft is equipped with. When you get right down to it, the 50 Browning, is usually always used in a Humvee or APC or some such thing. Might be why the rounds in question that we are discussing, have no purpose in being used. That may be why they are drying up in today's society.

Just taking a shot in the dark here on that subject.
View Quote

Check out this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMrRgam9Zuw

I tried embedding it but for some reason it won't work due to the changes.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#16]
The surplus silver tipped API surplus pulled bullets I've loaded, a few lots, have all weighed between 643 and 649 grains. Most between 643 and 647 grains to match the ball FMJ bullet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Back in the day (2001-2003) I was buying API's for $70/1000. (Usually 10,000 at a time)
This was back when Talon was demilling LOTS of 50Cal ammo from everywhere.

I would weigh sort them in one grain increments.
There were bins from "639 and less" to "654 and over"
That would catch 95%.

I've seen as low as 620's all the way up to 667 as an all time record.
(The fat one sits in the kitchen window now)

Because of that variation I weigh sort all API's.

Resize them all too!
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top