Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2016 9:40:12 AM EDT
Although the AR-50 will satisfactorily fire tracer and armor piercing ammo, such ammo can significantly reduce barrel life. Saboted ammo is not recommended because the sabot can hit the rifle’s muzzle brake, potentially damaging the rifle. See your owner’s manual for more information.

I thought that tracer and ap ammo were said not to reduce barrel life?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#1]
That's interesting.

Tracers ignite 10ish meters after leaving the barrel.  
Armor piercing relates to the core material; the jacket in contact with the bore is still the same as any other bullet.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can address this, but my first thought is that Armalite is just trying to cover their asses "Just in case" someone loads something bad in it.  But idk; that's a weird warning.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
M17 lights up further out than 10 meters from what I can tell. APIT lights up sooner though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The copper coating on the M-17 does look thin to me.  It doesn't look like a copper jacket or copper washed....kinda like something in between.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
CYA = keeps the lawyers busy dreaming things up
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top