Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2016 12:07:32 AM EDT
I've been fantasizing about getting a Barrett 82A1 for years.  I almost bought one about 10 years ago but couldn't justify the price tag.  I have seen them in local gun shops from time to time and still drool over them.  Today I was hanging out with a friend from work and we went to a local fun store and they had one.  I talked a bit about price but ended up walking out the door.  I still couldn't justify to myself the cost of the rifle, and then the additional cost of adding glass and then feeding it.  I ended up coming home and thought about it some more, went for a run, came home, showered, ate dinner, and then sat down at the computer and did a little searching.  I found a new Barrett 82A1 for about $600 less than the local gun store was willing to take for theirs (and probably saved another 7% or so in state sales tax).  I pulled the trigger.  I'll probably feel it in a few days when I pay my credit card bill, but I figure you only live once.  I used to joke that my ex's engagement ring was the most expensive thing I ever bought other than a car or house.  This is probably a close tie.

I'd post pictures but I don't have it yet.  Besides, it's a standard model that I"m sure you've all seen.  The only 50 BMG that I've fired was an M2 in the Army years ago.  I'm anxious to see how this one shoots.  Does anyone have any advice for a first time owner?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Post picks when you pick it up!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The average gunshot decibel rating in SC just went up. lol. Any idea where you'll be shooting it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest making sure you have very good ear protection, then go enjoy it. I shoot mine ( a highly customized State Arms ) wearing muffs and plugs.  Many of us that shoot in competition wear both plugs and muffs, as they are quite loud. You might also have a friend video you, the first time you fire it. To the person, every single person I've ever seen shoot the 50 BMG  for their first time, had the "50 Grin" and from your posting, I'm betting you'll also have it. Post pictures once you get it setup and running.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I really appreciate the tip on double hearing protection.  My hearing is bad enough as it is from not using it when I was younger, loud music, loud work environment, etc.  Eye and ear protection is something I'm pretty religious about these days.  I'll definitely post pics when I get it.

Interesting to see another SC member in here.  I'm not sure where I'll shoot it yet.  Locally I'm a member of a club but they have a max 100 yard range.  It's primarily a pistol club.  I have a friend who has some land locally that I can shoot on, but again it's not a place where I can stretch the rifles legs.  I have some land in western NC, but again the same limitations.  I used to be a member of the Elberton Gun Club in Georgia.  They have a 400 yard range and I seem to recall a member there with property who occasionally held 1000 yard events at his place.  Belton Gun Club may be an option as well.  I need to do investigate this subject a bit.  I'm not sure where you are in SC but I live in the big town of Clemson.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 2:05:32 AM EDT
[#5]
where... are... the... pics... ???
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm picking up my new rifle tomorrow.  Any suggestions on a decent optic that won't break the bank?  For now I'm just looking for something that I can throw on it to shoot it a bit.  I'm not looking to stretch it's legs at this time.  I'll need to find a good place to shoot to do that.  Max range expected for now, probably around 400 yards/meters.  My intent is to be able to enjoy it now.  I'm planning on putting better glass on it in the future.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm picking up my new rifle tomorrow.  Any suggestions on a decent optic that won't break the bank?  For now I'm just looking for something that I can throw on it to shoot it a bit.  I'm not looking to stretch it's legs at this time.  I'll need to find a good place to shoot to do that.  Max range expected for now, probably around 400 yards/meters.  My intent is to be able to enjoy it now.  I'm planning on putting better glass on it in the future.
View Quote

Buying twice sucks. Buy once, cry once! The older I get the more I see the truth in that statement. I don't like it because I'm cheap, but I've found it to be true on allot of things.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Buying twice sucks. Buy once, cry once! The older I get the more I see the truth in that statement. I don't like it because I'm cheap, but I've found it to be true on allot of things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMEN! You've come this far OP, don't half ass it now!

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure anyone around you when you touch one off is wearing double hearing protection.

Keep people away from muzzle brake blast radius. Off to your sides is deafening.

Let people know when your firing.

It will raise the dust off the ground, might keep that in mind if you have other gear around.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a set of magpul Xtm panels and cover your rail where the carry handle flops over.   It dings the rail up and they are cheap.  
I also put a pvc vacuum cap on the charging handle to reduce the dings on the brass.   I have had mine for 8 years now and still love to shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#11]
So, roughly three months after I got my Barrett M82, I finally shot it.  I made it to the range today with some friends, put some cardboard on the ground, got prone, and fired.  I'm still grinning.  The first shot blew debris (leaves, dirt, twigs, etc) all over the place including back on me.  Fortunately I was wearing glasses and double hearing protection.  The follow up shots had less dust and after we were done shooting, there was a nice clear area around the rifle.  I still need to invest in quality glass and am saving some money for the NF Attacker that someone posted above me.  Recoil was much milder than I expected as well.  I'll definitely be shooting it a lot more once I get it set up the way I want it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I would suggest looking at the Vortex Razor HD Gen II series. If you call some of the dealers, you can get better pricing than list, which is already cheaper than most of the ATACR line.

I personally have never been a fan of NF, and don't find the glass to be nice enough for the price they want to charge.

Better scope/features/glass for equal or less money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
A nice trick is to spread some cocoa powder on the ground around the muzzle brake.   You are going to get dirt and dust in your mouth anyway so you might as well enjoy it a little.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A nice trick is to spread some cocoa powder on the ground around the muzzle brake.   You are going to get dirt and dust in your mouth anyway so you might as well enjoy it a little.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to try that one!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#16]
All I can think of is what you will look like covered in brown powder..., except for your racoon eyes when you take your glasses off.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top