Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2015 9:02:56 AM EDT
Has anyone ever tried to deprime a live 50 bmg primer from old military surplus?

I have done it with normal small and large primers with no issues. But they whete not crimped in and I was very light with the ram.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It is not worth messing with depriming a live primer.  Put it in a chamber and pop it first.  Oldman and I are both folks that found out the hard way not to mess with a live primer.  The 50 BMG primer can put a hurt on you.  Oil will not effectively kill it either.  At least not enough to take a chance with it.  I have a primer that traveled at least 8" into my gut from the front to the side in 2011.  It's still in there.  I posted Xrays of it back then.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Whoops double post
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely pop the primer first. .50bmg primers have about as much energy as a .22 blank, and can blast themselves out of the primer pocket, ricochet around and cause surprising damage.

Here's the thread from when ridurall "shot" himself with the primer while trying to remove it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow thanks An_Orphanage,  That thread brought back some memories.  I am now about 75 to 80 lbs lighter than I was back then.  Smarter also.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for popping them first.  Soaking them in water will NOT reliably deactivate them either, I tried.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top