Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2015 11:35:50 AM EDT
Am i crazy or is it WAY cheaper to build a M2HB (Semi-Auto) than to buy one?

I can buy a used parts kit for $3.5k, or new for $4k
Barrel for $500 used, $1000 new
Side plate for $0 if i cut it myself or $300 new.

So $4k to 5.5k for a home build vs $8k+ for one of the name brand Like Atlantic Firearms.

Am i missing something?  Most of the "factory" guns even say they use surplus parts kits.
Are the factory built rifles really worth $4k more?
How difficult is it to build your own? ie assemble the parts, ive built numerous AR15s before.

FWIW I'm and engineer and do have access to machines needed to mill out a semi-side plate. Could even toss together a tripod, but i dont have any experience welding but could bolt it together.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start a build and you might understand why they cost more. Being an engineer you should know there's more than just slapping it together. Labor is always more then the cost of parts.

You need to get an industrial sized rivet gun and the correct bucking bars to set them. The bolt and side plates need to be machined to make it semi auto only.

Then you need to do the butterfly trigger so that it works in semi auto only. Or buy ones that have been converted. I think Karma Metal Products makes the best on the market.

If you want some good advice, call Ed at Central Wisconsin Armory. He builds the Dragon 50, semi auto M2/3's. I would say that theirs are some of the best on the market.

You can also ask over on 1919a4.com, besides building 1919's they also have an M2 section. Years of experience there and the guys know the ins and outs of the guns.

If you do a build, post some pics here as you go. I know there's plenty of guys here that would like to see it.
View Quote

I second both gathering info on 1919a4.com...but be careful these guys have a lot of experience and the right tools so they tend to suggest "build it!" when it's a lot harder than they make it sound.

I also highly recommend Central Wisconsin Armory for a complete gun, Ed's work is astonishing to the point of artistry.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
unless you can machine parts, it will be cheaper to buy.

BTW where are 4k new parts kits??

I built mine, IMO it very simple if you know how to rivet.

I bought some bucking bars which is a must for the 50 IMO Did not use them on the 1919s. I also bought a rivet tool and new rivets with good drill bits as well.

I bought the kit w/ parts machined. Sideplate was bought as well.

Threw it together on a weekend. Built a 10 dollar crank and preceded to dump a couple belts.

Now its on the wall

Link Posted: 9/10/2015 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Am i crazy or is it WAY cheaper to build a M2HB (Semi-Auto) than to buy one?

I can buy a used parts kit for $3.5k, or new for $4k
Barrel for $500 used, $1000 new
Side plate for $0 if i cut it myself or $300 new.

So $4k to 5.5k for a home build vs $8k+ for one of the name brand Like Atlantic Firearms.

Am i missing something?  Most of the "factory" guns even say they use surplus parts kits.
Are the factory built rifles really worth $4k more?
How difficult is it to build your own? ie assemble the parts, ive built numerous AR15s before.

FWIW I'm and engineer and do have access to machines needed to mill out a semi-side plate. Could even toss together a tripod, but i dont have any experience welding but could bolt it together.
View Quote

Where?! That's a great price and I'm in the market for a kit.

If you are willing to convert and machine parts for semi auto, you can indeed do it yourself. Nothing too involved in getting it together, and child's play versus the actual machining. If you have the time, the equipment, and the desire, it is indeed cheaper to build than buy. Initial building and assembly of the receiver isn't hard, just riveting or tapping and using screws. The hard part is the machining of the various parts needed, bringing me to the most important question about this kind of project... what's your time worth to you? The reason factory built semi-autos are expensive is due to most people not having the machinery or skill to make their own parts, but in a lot of cases I prefer to buy off the shelf parts rather than make things from scratch. It really depends on how busy my shop is at any given time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I home built mine, but I am lucky to have a man near me who was among the first to start home building the 1919 and M2HB from kits.  I believe he was the first to start making the bucking bars for building the 1919's and selling them.  Having him made my builds much much easier to say the least!
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
How hard is it when you start with a Reciever thats already riveted together? I was eyeing the TNW reciever, but its 2500.00, I know none of the parts are cheap, just wondering.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking at doing one too. So far below is a breakdown of what I found:

1: Gryphos m3hb semi kit $4400
2: KMP side plate and trigger parts $700
3: barrel $500+

So $5600 for parts plus either paying someone to assemble and refinish or doing it yourself. Or $7300 for a complete m3hb or $8300 for an m2hb.

Looks like building an m3hb from a gryphos semi kit is still a cheaper option even if you pay for building and refinishing which I don't have prices on.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top