Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2015 2:35:58 AM EDT
Got a boresnake ordered for my new Barrett. But I figured I should get a rod, jag, brushes, and patches to do proper cleanings every now and then to avoid copper buildup. I'm curious as to what you guys recommend. I've always used Dewey products, but I'm seeing a lot of good reviews on MidwayUSA for Montana X-Treme... never heard of them. Their rod, jags, and brushes seem well designed and are the top rated for their categories.

And a quick/stupid question... I can't seem to find a consistent patch size/shape recommendation for .50BMG. I'm seeing everything from 2 1/2" round to 3" square! Wanna get it down correctly before I order 500 lol.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the one for my 99 from here. I've been happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I just use the regular square patches I find in the store. I also use a 410 cleaning fluffy rod end(cant remember whats its called) and wrap around a patch cloth. Snug fit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I purchase flannel remnants for quite prices at Walmart or sewing stores and cut my own patches the size I want.  It's much better than crappy polyester patches that don't adsorb cleaning solvents or oil.  Flannel holds it great and cleans a bore and chamber great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boretech Eliminator solvent,
their 60" one piece rod.
You can use stainless steel bore brushes as they won't hurt your barrel. The ones made for cleaning bores are softer then your barrels steel so don't worry about using them.

For regular brushes I use 3" squares and circles, doesn't matter just whatever I can find.

As for the pull through cleaning things, personally I think they're a waste of time and money. If you're at the range you can still bring your range box and your cleaning rod. The pull through cleaners are more for the field. I couldn't imagine pulling a jag through on a string!
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I use Boretech Eliminator solvent, their 60" one piece rod. For a jag its shooters choice, it's the one that you have to size to your barrel. Not hard, just put it in a drill and sand it down until it will slide down your barrel. Then check it with a patch, you only need a small patch for that jag.
View Quote

Same here.  Bought direct from Bore Tech, but I use their Eliminator, 3" patches (which I do have to cut 1/4" off one side of not make it too tight in the bore), their 60" one-piece rod, jags, etc.  The only thing I didn't buy from them was the bore guide (which they didn't have).  AAA-Ammo makes one, but it was $75.  Bought one for $25 from www.thecleaningandreloadingstore.com.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is what I have learned on cleaning copper.........don't waste your time.  Copper will only build up to a certain point and the bullet path will not be effected.  If you clean out all of the copper the first few rounds will fill the void where the copper was cleaned.  The carbon is what must be cleaned due to it building up un evenly.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Dewey rods are best.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Dewey rod, but I mostly use the NOS M2 rod that I got some years ago.  The Boretech Eliminator is the best copper remover that I can tolerate.  The SS brushes will greatly reduce cleaning time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:27:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't just post "Dewey Rods are best"! Why? Says who?

Why I think my Boretech rod is "one of the best"! Fully coated, ball bearings in the handle, flexes very little... See how that works?

Forgot about the bore guide, I think I got mine from Arizona Ammunition back in the day. I know they moved or something happened with them but I'm pretty sure they're still in business. It's a must have piece of equipment when you're cleaning your .50.
View Quote

I don't like "coated" rods due to chips and dirt imbedding itself into the coating and potentially damaging the bore.
Martin List makes the best rod available, made using 7/16" Thomson shafting which is hardened to 60 RC.
Contact him thru FCSA main office  435-527-9245 Karen.

Arizona Ammunition is alive and well = call Jim Schmidt   520-586-2582 for free technical support. Jim's a great guy and firm supporter of anything 50BMG related. If a FCSA Member, say HI.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Highly recommend Montana Extreme products. Excellent cleaning rods. I use their Bore Solvent, Copper Killer, and Bore Conditioner on my 50 and other rifles. Cleans copper fast. I use the bore solvent first to remove powder fouling with patches then brushes, then the Copper Killer until no signs of copper show on the patches. Check out their cleaning method from the menu. Won't harm bores with their products. Use their products outdoors because of the strong odor. Best products I've used and worth the cost. If cleaned at the range or soon after returning home mine cleans much easier. Seems the powder fouling hardens and is tougher to clean after sitting for a while or days.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with Dewey I guess because I use them in other calibers.   And I didn't see many other options when I ordered it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I started making some one piece stainless rods on my lathe, but it seems that no one wants to spend 90 bucks delivered for a good rod. I have had them advertised here and on several forums and only sold 4. I still have a extra in the shop that will probably end up getting cut up and used elsewhere. So much for trying to make a lathe pay for itself.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No problem with that and I would keep on trying. The problem for the small shop guy is price. I paid $60 for mine to my door, that was a 5/16" rod 60" long.

You have to remember that people are cheap and want the best for the lowest price. On the flip side, when you say 50 BMG you can see $$$ signs roll up in people's eyes.

You'll have to be close to market price for other rods to sell them. I think most people would pass up on your rod at $90 for a rod that costs $60. Especially when they're paying $3 a round for ammo and putting a $1,000+ scope on their rifle. Saving money anywhere makes sense, even if it's just $30 on a cleaning rod.
View Quote

You are absolutely correct. If I had plenty of folks wanting rod's I could buy material in bulk and save, however it's kinda hard to justify the purchase when I may never be able to sell it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I use a muzzle loader rod for my 50.  It is a flexible plastic with brass end.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just curious....

I've thought about doing that, but I was never sure what stock to use.
1. - Are you using 420~440 stainless?
2. - What OD and length do the 50BFG guys   like?  
3. - Do you think harder stock would interest the more serious shooters (I have an account at Chicago Drill Rod)?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I started making some one piece stainless rods on my lathe, but it seems that no one wants to spend 90 bucks delivered for a good rod. I have had them advertised here and on several forums and only sold 4. I still have a extra in the shop that will probably end up getting cut up and used elsewhere. So much for trying to make a lathe pay for itself.
Just curious....

I've thought about doing that, but I was never sure what stock to use.
1. - Are you using 420~440 stainless?
2. - What OD and length do the 50BFG guys   like?  
3. - Do you think harder stock would interest the more serious shooters (I have an account at Chicago Drill Rod)?

Because I am lazy here is the thread I had in the  EE http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_132/1442649_WTS_Stainless_one_piece_50_bmg_cleaning_rod__reduced_price.html

I would want the rod to be softer than the barrel.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top