Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2015 8:47:37 AM EDT
Well...there's the million dollar question.   I also have a "regular" question.

I have a BOHICA .50 bmg, not sure which mark, I bought it about 2 months before they went out of business., it's been good, not a problem, shoots VERY well (around 2" groups at 200 yards with good ammo), put around 350 rounds through it in the 4 years I've had it.    The only quirk is the extractor is VERY tight, I slip the rounds under and tilt them onto the bolt, which it needs as it's tight, not sticky but tight extraction.

Question......I'm leery because should something happen, the company is out of business, lots of flak surrounding them....."I" am very happy with it.   But I am thinking of "upgrading".   BY upgrade I mean move to a Safety Harbor.     Probably one of their mag-fed uppers......I do not need a super-precise rifle, most of my shooting has only been out to about 800 yards and it has not been paper-punching.

Which brings me to my second question:

How much do AR15 receivers stretch over time? with use?    Mine used to be able to pop out the takedown pins easily.  I ain't broke it apart in the last 100 rounds or so, and when I did, I now have to drive the pins out.      Thus, I am leery of getting another Upper that I will put on a easily-stretched AR receiver.

I'd "like" a mag-fed Safety Harbor, however their only dedicated non-AR-lower .50 appears to be the SHF, which appear to be single shots.   They have SHTF UPPERS that go onto AR receivers, but no complete rifles.      THAT SAID....I can buy one of their complete single-shots for the price of their mag-fed upper.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
When I got my SH 50BMG, I didn't want a AR lower. Makes it look odd. So I went with this.... http://www.smosarms.com/collections/lower-receivers/products/rogue-50-single-shot-billet-lower-receiver . Works great. Put a magpul PRS receiver on it and am good to go. You can see a pic of mine in the pic section. But if you go with a AR lower, you want a mil-spec lower. Nice thing about the one I got, its mailed to your door. NO FFL required. Good luck. Don't forget to post pics when you get it together.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Safety Harbor mag-fed upper. It works fine on my Bushmaster lower. I have probably close to 1000 rounds through it.

I've considered making one of those single-shot lowers - like this - but I so rarely shoot it now it isn't worth the effort. When the super-cheap fodder went away, so did my desire to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm...odd.  Wonder my my receiver is stretching then?

Maybe it's just the takedown pins?  It's a complete, doublestar lower.  

Right now I'm deliberating on whether $2000 for a complete rifle or $2000 for a mag-fed upper is the way to go...decisions, decisions  

Any ideas what I could get for my BOHICA?   I'm guessing around $1,200?    I'd keep the Badger Max50 rings for myself, save a good bit of money there.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I got my SH 50BMG, I didn't want a AR lower. Makes it look odd. So I went with this.... http://www.smosarms.com/collections/lower-receivers/products/rogue-50-single-shot-billet-lower-receiver . Works great. Put a magpul PRS receiver on it and am good to go. You can see a pic of mine in the pic section. But if you go with a AR lower, you want a mil-spec lower. Nice thing about the one I got, its mailed to your door. NO FFL required. Good luck. Don't forget to post pics when you get it together.
View Quote

I remember advising you to get the SMOS lower.
How did it turn out?
Don't remember which barrel length you chose.
Optics, accuracy, etc?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How did it turn out?
Optics, accuracy, etc?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did it turn out?
Optics, accuracy, etc?

There is a pic of it in the pic section. Turned out awesome. Looks fantastic. I got a 22 inch barrel.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top